LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Acceleration & highway speeds, engine sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-14, 11:08 PM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration & highway speeds, engine sounds?

I've been reading this forum for a while, and finally took the plunge. I bought a 2011 Ls460L, trading in my GS 430. The LS has 31,000 miles and its very clean, exterior/interior. Still under the Factory Warranty, also bought the CPO 6 yr/100,000 warranty. I love the air suspension and adaptive cruise control. Wow this car is really a dream to drive and it's quite! I loved my GS, but this car is definitely a cut above. Curious about the engine though. I'm not talking about the well discussed diesel sound at idle (direct injection), It's a very low whirling fan noise while accelerating and while traveling at hwy speeds, ie., 65-70 mph. More like a secondary noise apart from the normal v-8 sound you would hear. Like the older radiator clutch fans, but not so loud. You can especially hear it when going up a hill. It just doesn't sound like a normal engine sound. I tried turning off the A/C, but it's still there. The odd thing is my GS was quieter and had a much cleaner v-8 sound. After driving for 500 miles I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer, but I first wanted to see what you guys think. What does your Ls sound like when under normal acceleration, at highway speeds and while going uphill? Any input would help, thanks.
Old 08-22-14, 01:22 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it the whirring sound of your seat Cooler?
Old 08-22-14, 05:26 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Edit: I saw it only occurs during highway speeds.

Last edited by is150; 08-22-14 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 07:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Transmission whine?? Differential? Driveshaft?
Old 08-22-14, 08:01 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

It could be the tires. Tires at a particular speed can give off a harmonic type sound. This can be due to old tires or new performance tires that have that characteristic. The sound is channeled though the interior and can give off a hum especially at highway speeds.
Old 08-22-14, 10:28 AM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

I know it's not the tires or differential as the sound increases with rpm, especially going up an incline in the road. I should be clear this is not a loud noise, just not what I would expect from an LS. The sound kinda reminds me of the Ford Crown Vics when they accelerated. It is barely noticeably at highway speeds. (Not the tires, they are pretty quiet) This maybe the norm for this car, but I am disappointed in the sound. Can you guys chime in on what your LS sounds like under acceleration? Going up inclines in road? Can you hear at all the engine or exhaust sounds at cruising speeds 65-70 mph? Or are they unnoticeable and quiet. Also, how do you reset the ECU, which panel and fuse? Maybe this may help with the sound. Thanks.
Old 08-22-14, 11:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hwyman
I know it's not the tires or differential as the sound increases with rpm, especially going up an incline in the road. I should be clear this is not a loud noise, just not what I would expect from an LS. The sound kinda reminds me of the Ford Crown Vics when they accelerated. It is barely noticeably at highway speeds. (Not the tires, they are pretty quiet) This maybe the norm for this car, but I am disappointed in the sound. Can you guys chime in on what your LS sounds like under acceleration? Going up inclines in road? Can you hear at all the engine or exhaust sounds at cruising speeds 65-70 mph? Or are they unnoticeable and quiet. Also, how do you reset the ECU, which panel and fuse? Maybe this may help with the sound. Thanks.
Mine has NO whine under acceleration.Just the wonderful roar of the 380hp under the hood.

Some say the ECU cannot be reset without Techstream. However, I believe a certain degree of reset can be achieved by pulling ALL the fuses under the hood in both fuse boxes that refer to "ECU", "TPS", and the like. I did it once. Leave thiose pulled fuses out for approx 10 mins and also have the battery disconnected.

Last edited by roadfrog; 08-22-14 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 03:05 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Noise from the auxiliary port input? http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/L-SB-0169-09.pdf try turning your radio off and see if you still get the noise.
Old 08-22-14, 06:01 PM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

I made an appointment at the Lexus dealership for this Monday. Serpentine belt is suspected by those who have heard it. Could it be this early at 32000 miles??
Old 10-06-14, 08:27 PM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus says it is the transmission

Ok, so I'm in need of some advice. My car has been at the Lexus dealership for a week and the noise has been diagnosed as the planetary gears in the transmission. I was told by the technician that he has heard worse, and he has heard quieter. Just so you know, it shifts butter smooth, but when cruising (steady gas pedal) at 40 mph and at highway speeds I can hear a slight hum. I can also distinctly hear the whine as it shifts through the gears. I must be clear, this is not loud, but you can hear it. The service manager called me and said he can replace the transmission, but there is no guarantee the noise will be different. So here it is, are your LS's transmissions whisper quiet, do you hear a slight or distinct whine form the transmission upon normal acceleration as the rpms increase, or is it quiet. And do you hear anything at all from the transmission when your speed has leveled off, excluding tire noise. I have driven other LS's and in my opinion they are absent of the noise. I am on the fence with this, so your input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-14, 09:57 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have test drove several LS cars and have driven my own after purchase and I can say I never heard the noise you are describing. I have driven cars that have a characteristic transmission whine that is considered normal but as for the LS it's dead quiet. Is your car AWD?
Old 10-06-14, 10:05 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have never heard what you describe. I would recommend having them replace the tranny.
Old 10-06-14, 11:01 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 11 460L and aside from the road noise and a bit of an engine hum I don't hear much else. Definitely never heard of anything that sounded like a transmission noise.
Old 10-07-14, 06:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No such noise here either. I do know the sound your referring to though....my BMW used to make the same noise.
Old 10-07-14, 07:43 AM
Hwyman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Roadfrog, my LS is RWD. I very much appreciate all the feedback everyone!! The service manager has been very nice and helpful. It just worried me when he said there may be no change in the sound. With all your positive responses I will tell him to replace the transmission. By the way, he also spoke of sound dampeners (2 orange in color) at the 2 fuel lines near the drivers firewall that seems to be louder than they should be, and may replace them. It would be nice to quiet that little diesel sound

Quick Reply: Acceleration & highway speeds, engine sounds?