LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 600hl vs LS 430

Old 08-21-14, 07:02 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS 600hl vs LS 430

Ok so I think it's been firmly established that the 430 trumps the 460 in smoothness, quietness and ride (a shame the 460 lost the luxury of the 430); but what about the 600hl? How does that compare to the 430? Please someone on here tell me that it is as quiet, smooth and soft riding as the LS 430 if not more. Thank u.
Old 08-21-14, 07:25 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I owned 430 and now 460 and 600, nothing like the smoothness and quietness of the 600 if you got good tires on it. In my view the knocking engine noise of the 460 at idle is the main drawback compared to the 430. 600 does not have this engine knocking noise (even when gas engine is on charging the hybrid) knowing that it is also direct injection. Both 460 and 600 are loaded with technology which increases potential for failures. When I get in a 430, I immediately feel it is outdated. My 2 cents...
Old 08-21-14, 07:40 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 600hl is definitely quieter than the 430. It's about the same at lower speeds, but once you go above ~40MPH the 600hl takes it. Cruising at 80MPH in a 600hl isn't much different than being at 40MPH.

For engine smoothness, the 430 wins. The 5L engine in the 600hl just isn't as smooth as the 4.3 in the 430. The 5L though is tuned for power whereas the 4.3L is tuned to be smooth.

Ride is a tougher one as in many ways they are very different. If you want to do high speed driving, or just cruise at 70+ MPH then the 600hl hands down is the better car. It's planted, it's solid, it's like a bulletproof tank in some ways just blasting down the freeway. The 430 at the same speeds is more floaty, not as buttoned down or stable feeling, but it's also absolutely designed that way to just glide over bumps and it still feels great to drive. The 600hl by comparison will give you more road feedback. In bad or wet weather the 600hl feels like a much more solid car with the AWD and weight giving it a strong feeling of safety.
Old 08-21-14, 07:46 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wanderer99
The 600hl is definitely quieter than the 430. It's about the same at lower speeds, but once you go above ~40MPH the 600hl takes it. Cruising at 80MPH in a 600hl isn't much different than being at 40MPH.

For engine smoothness, the 430 wins. The 5L engine in the 600hl just isn't as smooth as the 4.3 in the 430. The 5L though is tuned for power whereas the 4.3L is tuned to be smooth.

Ride is a tougher one as in many ways they are very different. If you want to do high speed driving, or just cruise at 70+ MPH then the 600hl hands down is the better car. It's planted, it's solid, it's like a bulletproof tank in some ways just blasting down the freeway. The 430 at the same speeds is more floaty, not as buttoned down or stable feeling, but it's also absolutely designed that way to just glide over bumps and it still feels great to drive. The 600hl by comparison will give you more road feedback. In bad or wet weather the 600hl feels like a much more solid car with the AWD and weight giving it a strong feeling of safety.
NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!
I was hoping the 600hl provided the more isolation from the outside world. There was never a bump I ever wanted to feel. I like to literally glide over the road while still feeling "buttoned down". I want to be totally detached from any road feel.
Old 08-21-14, 08:01 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My comparison is the 430 on 18" rims and the 600 with Michelin tires on 19's . With 18's on the 600hl it might be a bit better. Going from the 600hl back into the 430, the 430 feels like a smooth gliding machine for sure. If you want to be totally detached in road feel then the 430 wins.
Old 08-21-14, 09:38 PM
LexFather

The 430 base had 17" tires as well. The 430 is very very detached, very old school Lexus. The LS 460 while still with a priority on luxury at least involves the driver somewhat more.
Old 08-22-14, 07:01 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
The 430 base had 17" tires as well. The 430 is very very detached, very old school Lexus. The LS 460 while still with a priority on luxury at least involves the driver somewhat more.
Involve the driver????? That's code for feeling more bumps transmitted into the cabin and through the steering wheel. Let's call it what it is and stop using cover words like "sporty", "feedback", "driver envolvement" etc. NO! It's a less luxurious, less coddling approach to motoring, and I want absolutely no part of it. I like cocoons of silence that put me on cloud 9 while still being nimble and good handling.

LEXUS R U READING THIS!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-14, 07:25 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Involve the driver????? That's code for feeling more bumps transmitted into the cabin and through the steering wheel. Let's call it what it is and stop using cover words like "sporty", "feedback", "driver envolvement" etc. NO! It's a less luxurious, less coddling approach to motoring, and I want absolutely no part of it. I like cocoons of silence that put me on cloud 9 while still being nimble and good handling.

LEXUS R U READING THIS!!!!!!!!
Couldn't agree more. If Lexus desires make two versions - regular (soft ride) and sport (more for those that desire performance). In the end it will all boil down to sales. If Lexus can sell more cars one way or the other they will do that. I simply want a car that isolates me from bumps, noise, etc. Technology should be the same in either car, only thing that should be different is the driving dynamics. My '11 LS 460L does not isolate from road imperfections and the outside as much as it could or should.
Old 08-22-14, 07:42 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your tires are shot? They can get hard and make the car feel sporty.

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Couldn't agree more. If Lexus desires make two versions - regular (soft ride) and sport (more for those that desire performance). In the end it will all boil down to sales. If Lexus can sell more cars one way or the other they will do that. I simply want a car that isolates me from bumps, noise, etc. Technology should be the same in either car, only thing that should be different is the driving dynamics. My '11 LS 460L does not isolate from road imperfections and the outside as much as it could or should.
Old 08-22-14, 08:10 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4umha
Maybe your tires are shot? They can get hard and make the car feel sporty.
I currently have the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas, they're horrible. They still have a good amount of tread left. I am currently looking to change them out for Michelin Primacy's. I think that should help, as many posters on here have said the original Turanzas ride too harsh. If that doesn't help enough I am not sure what to do. I know air suspension is put of the question.
Old 08-22-14, 08:17 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Thank you for agreeing! But let's correct something: "sport" should be replaced with "hard ride" "performance" should be replaced with "less luxury". It's time clarity be applied here. Sport/performance is how well it handles, how aggressive it looks, how good the numbers. Too often this word is used to mask the undesirable toll it takes on luxury. Car magazines need to be smacked for adding to this confusion for promoting such nonsense as (exhaust notes, "feedback"-a.k.a. bumps, steering vibrations) as "sport". Luxury and sport don't have to work against each other as the latest s-class ( according to consumer report's "BEST RIDE EVER!" and "QUIETEST CAR EVER!" comments) show.

LEXUS WE DON'T WANT "SOUND RESONATORS", A HARSHER RIDE, etc when we choose the sport trim for our LS's. That's not what sport is. Thats what less-luxurious is. We want the epitome of luxury, as well as the epitome of performance NOT a compromise of the two. And when we choose the sport trim, we want these uncompromised attributes all packaged up in a sporty LOOKING ensemble.

Last edited by Pamperme; 08-22-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 08:27 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I really want to check out the LS600hL's ride for myself sometime. I heard it was much better than the LS460L.

My 05 LS430 UL came with the OEM 18 inch wheels and the ride was pretty smooth but it wasn't as impressive as the LS400 was. Then I got an 02 LS430 base model with OEM 16 inch wheels and it is the smoothest car ever. It's so smooth and relaxing that I feel like I'll fall asleep.
Old 08-22-14, 12:01 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Coming from a 2013 Hyundai sonata Hybrid, I must say I do think the Hyundai does absorb the potholes a whole lot better, but I be so caught up in the vast amount of luxurious features in the cabin that in a lot of ways it does quarantine me from the outside world. Now I can see if your living in an area where the roads are just horrific, then I would completely understand about disagreeing with the harshness of the LS 460 ride.
Old 08-22-14, 12:12 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

You guys might want to pony up on good tires because crap tires will make your ride alot more harsh.

Crappy and old tires especially.
Old 08-22-14, 12:25 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

I sold my LS430 and own a LS600hL. These are total different cars because of size, weight, CVT, hybrid, 4WD, audio, entertainment. Comparison is like apples with oranges. The LS430 is good for drivers and the 4 seat luxury LS600hL is good for owners sitting on the ottoman. If you don't have a driver, drive the LS430 or short LS460 by yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS 600hl vs LS 430