LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on new tires?

Old 08-20-14, 07:19 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
My DWS were pretty much black - like all other tires. That looks like dirt/oxidation on the tire - did you try cleaning them and then applying tire black?
My DWS are long gone, but they were NEVER black no matter how much they were washed, scrubbed, or coated with tire shine. Painting tires black was beyond what I was willing to do, however. Your suggestion that oxidation may be involved brings up the question as to why Contis seem to exhibit this phenomenon so much more than other tire brands. Perhaps a unique formulation that only Conti uses...?
Old 08-28-14, 12:17 PM
crombie92
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had both....the ps as 3 on 17 inch 06 gs300 and the extremecontact dws on my 10 gs350 on 20 inch. the pilots are great if money is now matter and safety is above all. the dws is good

best; pilot sports a/s 3.....superb at dry and wet conditions, alright in snow. excellent treadwear ratiings. 45k miles. good at handling, okay at cornering. pricey

great: extremecontact dws.....good at dry and and excellent in wet, good in snow. lack of linear feel on straight roads/hwy. cheaper than pilot sports. good treadwear ratings.
Old 08-28-14, 02:31 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Michelins MXM4s are excellent, durable, smooth, comfortable and quiet.
Old 08-28-14, 07:47 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you all for opinions and comments. I've decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s in 245/45R19 Y-rated. We shall see...
Old 08-28-14, 08:02 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Thank you all for opinions and comments. I've decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s in 245/45R19 Y-rated. We shall see...
That is what I have had for the past several weeks. Been very pleased so far.
Old 08-29-14, 06:00 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Please provide a preliminary review of the Pilot's vs. the Primacy's you previously had on your vehicle. I look forward to the comparison. Thanks
Old 08-29-14, 08:49 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think of the AS3s once my confirmation bias has worn off a bit, say in a few kmiles. Also, driving them on some rainy days and cool/cold mornings will be helpful. Of course, an entire weather cycle gives the best read on any set of tires, IMO.
Old 08-30-14, 10:18 AM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the AS3's. Handling is great, they are a little harder than the MXM's, but look factory and I don't like all the fancy tread designs, they serve the purpose, Costco price was cheaper than anywhere else for me and I have a full warranty. Oh one last thing you can rub curves sidewalks etc and your rims won't get scratched.
Old 09-02-14, 04:52 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Has anybody tried the Nitto Motivo on their LS yet? I have had them recommended by a few different people and they seem like they could be a good choice. I am looking at 245/40/20 and 275/35/20 sizes. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-14, 05:00 PM
ljanniere
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

I was going to offer an expert opinion however your request for opinion was addressed to simply "Gents" There are ladies out there that drive LS vehicles as well you know and come with a wealth of knowledge.

now
Gents,

My Michelin Primacy MXM4s (245/45R19) are just about down to the the wear bars after 38k miles on my 2013 LS460. Tires were OK, but just OK. I know LS handling will never be as sharp as that found in sport sedans (even in Sport +), but I'd like to maximize what the car CAN do by selecting one of the following all-season replacement tires:

1) Michelin Primacy MXM4 (same tire as current)

2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS (had on 2007 LS460, again just OK and I HATE the color)

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Can anyone offer experience with or guidance on the above choices? Please keep in mind that I'm not considering any other tires and would appreciate limiting any discussion to the specific ones listed above. I've heard good things about the A/S 3s, but almost always from folks with less than 10k miles on the tires. I tend to heavily discount opinions of general-use tires unless and until the owner has put a minimum of 10k-15k miles on them. So, thoughts? Thanks in advance for any contributions.
Old 09-02-14, 05:33 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

That's quite an introduction for your first post. I'll be sure to consult you directly in the future should I ever need a helpful, informed, friendly, and "expert" opinion. Thanks and welcome.
Old 09-07-14, 02:59 PM
hooks07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on new tires

If you want quite ride het primacy if you want be more performance get pilot. I am old and love quiet touch so, I stay with primacy.
Old 09-07-14, 06:47 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ljanniere
I was going to offer an expert opinion however your request for opinion was addressed to simply "Gents" There are ladies out there that drive LS vehicles as well you know and come with a wealth of knowledge.

now
What would you suggest?
Old 09-07-14, 08:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

What would you suggest?
You didn't say "Ladies", so there will be no response.
Old 09-07-14, 09:02 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:
I just drove about 700 miles to see the Hokies kick the Buckeyes ***. I am very pleased with these tires. This is the first long trip I took in my Lexus. I drove the whole 20 hours up and back from Columbia, SC to Columbus, OH and back except 2 hours when my copilot took over Friday afternoon. Gotta love the Lexus. My buddy loved it. He worked in the back seat Friday on our way up. He said he did more work in my car then he could anywhere else. He said its like riding in a limo. Go Lexus!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on new tires?