LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 06:47 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?

Just curious. I touched mine when it was parked at work after a hot day trying to get a hair or something off, and my fingernail touched the dash leaving a mark. Seems to be very stick when warm. My 430 dash was never this sensitive; I've clean it a couple of times with 305.

The small nail mark drives me nuts. Any good solution (good = cheap?)

I have a 2007 car if that makes any difference. Searching the threads here I read a lot about mid-2000 IS models having this problem.

Shawn
Old 08-19-14, 03:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, this is a real problem with the 2Gen (2006+) IS dash. Not seen any issues reported with the LS460 yet (?!)
Old 08-19-14, 03:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not sure if you saw this thread in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum, but it's about a melting LS dash.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-recovery.html
Old 08-20-14, 05:42 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not sure if you saw this thread in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum, but it's about a melting LS dash.
And the link suggests its more than just Lexus - maybe they all use the same materials supplier in Japan??

http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/d...mazda-vehicles
Old 08-20-14, 04:42 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 2011 LS. And I am not impressed with the quality of the interior. Love the looks and it looks like quality but does not seem to hold up well. Seats in my 10 year old lexus and Toyota look better than this 3 year old car. And the dash is not sticky but seems like its faded some.
Old 08-22-14, 04:15 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Going out of my mind here with my stick dash problem (2007 L).

My wife got in the car tonight (rarely have front passengers) and the inside piece from the door is STUCK to the dash! A small piece about as big as your thumbnail!
I have no idea what to do here. Yes it was a Florida car, but it's always possible the KY Mercedes dealer cleaned it with something that ruined the finish.

The car is out of warranty - I could buy an extended one, but doubt they would cover the cosmetic dash.

If you BREATH on the damn thing it leaves a mark.

Should I just pay someone to repaint the entire dash?

I'll go snap some pics. This is RUINING my enjoyment of the car and my weekend!
Old 08-22-14, 04:39 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

It clearly looks like someone sprayed some chemical or something on this. I haven't even cleaned this part of the dash, and I've only used Lexol or Aerospace wipes on the rest of the dash.

Mercedes must be gone for the day as no one is answering their phone (Ft. Michell Merc in KY).

Of course they'll deny it anyway.

What do I do?
Attached Thumbnails Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?-5e1a6994.jpg   Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?-5e1a6995.jpg  
Old 08-22-14, 04:41 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Here's 2 more pictures. The first one, I think I used the tip of my finger to brush away a hair on the dash. It left this mark. Second picture was on the car and I hadn't noticed it until a week later.

When this thing sits out in the sun for just a couple hours it gets extremely sticky.

I'm ready to call in chemical experts to find out what was sprayed on the dash. I know my local cosmetic experts going to want a huge chunk of change to paint the entire dash.
Attached Thumbnails Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?-5e1a6996.jpg   Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?-5e1a6997.jpg  

Last edited by sparky3; 08-22-14 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 06:14 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Your only option is to try and have it re painted.

I think its a combination of problems. Poor quality lexus material on the dash. And something a little too strong was used on it.
But anyway no way to really prove or do anything about it unless lexus does a recall down the road.
Old 08-23-14, 07:06 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Repainting wont work... only 2 viable options... replace dash or have an upholstery shop wrap it in leather or high grade vinyl...

However if u replace it.. tint the entire windshield in a (for example AIR BLUE 80 by Llumar) which has a high heat rejection but allows light to come thru an doesn't impair driving..
Old 08-23-14, 09:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

unless lexus does a recall down the road
???? Not a safety issue, so THAT won't happen.

To the OP....you may have already done this, but I would try to get the factory materials down to their original condition, starting with a QUALITY degreaser/cleaner such as (insert yor brand here). I like Simple Green. Then follow up with several applications of 303 Aerospace Protectant - this is IMHO the BEST protectant there is and rejuvenates vinyl and rubber. The important point here is that you want to get to the factory finish, basically starting over. I would spend as much time as you can doing that with the degreaser/cleaner. I would go to an autmotive specialty store and ask for the best product that fits that need. Obviously this will not address the damage already done (split vinyl / rips, etc), but it's a good start.

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-14, 11:33 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Repainting wont work... only 2 viable options... replace dash or have an upholstery shop wrap it in leather or high grade vinyl...

However if u replace it.. tint the entire windshield in a (for example AIR BLUE 80 by Llumar) which has a high heat rejection but allows light to come thru an doesn't impair driving..
Why wouldn't repainting it work, if properly prepped first?
Old 08-23-14, 01:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Why wouldn't repainting it work, if properly prepped first?
I have to back Shibumi on that. I've seen repainted dashes before and they look....well....repainted. Ie: terrible.

Also keep in mind that painting your dash will SIGNIFICANTLY lower the value of your vehicle. It's also referred to as, "how to pay good money to lower the value of your car." You're far better off having a few blemishes, etc.

Personally, I'd go to an automotive upholstery shop and seek some advice.
Old 08-23-14, 01:22 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

I'm trying to find the entire dash part number for black with light grey - can anyone see if they can help?
Old 08-23-14, 01:50 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

I think I've found it.
5540150909C1

Who the hell would I trust to install it?

Quick Reply: Is your dash sticky, esp when warm?