LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Extended Warranty - best price ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 07:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by HONDACBR
Now Lexus advisor just told me that I need all control arms for the front and everyone know it's big bucks.

I had to get it bc i know how relible the Ls460's brake actuator reliabilty and its cost.
What u all though about my decision?Thanks a lot
Control arms are only expensive if you go through Lexus. If you deal aftermarket, the cost is between 350-1000 dollars depending on your DIY ability or independent garage cost. As for the brake actuator, again.....about 500-1k dollars for the part.
Old 03-20-15, 08:52 AM
HONDACBR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Control arms are only expensive if you go through Lexus. If you deal aftermarket, the cost is between 350-1000 dollars depending on your DIY ability or independent garage cost. As for the brake actuator, again.....about 500-1k dollars for the part.
I didnt have a good experience with aftermarket control arm at all after i have to replace the fender on my GS300 after 1 yrs using the aftermarket.
Where's the source that u can get the brake actuator on the LS460 that cheap? Unless u going used???
No point to use a GOOD used when we all know that part got problem itself. I want new revision so it can last longer. Just my opinion...
Old 03-20-15, 05:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I didnt have a good experience with aftermarket control arm at all after i have to replace the fender on my GS300 after 1 yrs using the aftermarket.
Where's the source that u can get the brake actuator on the LS460 that cheap? Unless u going used???
No point to use a GOOD used when we all know that part got problem itself. I want new revision so it can last longer. Just my opinion...
Well how much worse can aftermarket be when the original Lexus ones are failing, hence needing replacement in the first place? If anything, I trust aftermarket more.

Brake actuators are on Ebay. There's a brand new OEM one for 1200 dollars right now, but I've seen them cheaper. Used ones (with a warranty) are 500 and up.
Old 03-21-15, 05:28 AM
HONDACBR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well how much worse can aftermarket be when the original Lexus ones are failing, hence needing replacement in the first place? If anything, I trust aftermarket more.

Brake actuators are on Ebay. There's a brand new OEM one for 1200 dollars right now, but I've seen them cheaper. Used ones (with a warranty) are 500 and up.
After market control arm is a lot worst than OEM(in my case) it only last me about 10k.
Yes brake actucator is about $1200 new. But what about labor??? Is it gonna be an easy diy??? I dun see any member here do a write up yet?
Old 03-21-15, 07:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

After market control arm is a lot worst than OEM(in my case) it only last me about 10k.
Yes brake actucator is about $1200 new. But what about labor??? Is it gonna be an easy diy??? I dun see any member here do a write up yet?
Most of the aftermarket control arms I saw come with a 20k mile warranty and others with unlimited mileage 1 year. Did yours not come with a warranty?

As for the BA, AlldataDIY shows it as a 2 hr labor to re and re. Also, from what I can see, it's a fairly straightforward procedure if one chose to DIY. As I recall, I believe there was a member(s) who replaced there's DIY.
Old 03-21-15, 12:55 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Just because a some had control arm failures or brake actuator problems doesn't mean that everyone is going to get them. It might be a more likely part to fail but not everyone is going to experience it.
There are some cars here that have gone well over 100k without much issue.
Old 03-22-15, 07:25 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Just because a some had control arm failures or brake actuator problems doesn't mean that everyone is going to get them. It might be a more likely part to fail but not everyone is going to experience it.
There are some cars here that have gone well over 100k without much issue.
Can't speak to the brake actuator but the control arm problems appear to be a design/materials issue. As such many (most?) cars will likely be affected at some point (eg a certain percentage between, say, 50k and 150k miles).
Old 03-22-15, 09:47 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Can't speak to the brake actuator but the control arm problems appear to be a design/materials issue. As such many (most?) cars will likely be affected at some point (eg a certain percentage between, say, 50k and 150k miles).
That's the going rate for control arms in general although ours are more prone to be a weak point. The rubber is a wearable part and there are many factors that contribute to it's life expectancy.
Old 03-22-15, 09:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Keeping things in perspective, I've replaced similar bushings on many of my current and previous cars, so I don't see how this is unique to our Lexus. I've recently replaced one or more bushings on each of my current vehicles - a BMW X5 and an Acura. They're rubber, they WILL fail eventually.
Old 03-22-15, 01:36 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Just because a some had control arm failures or brake actuator problems doesn't mean that everyone is going to get them. It might be a more likely part to fail but not everyone is going to experience it. There are some cars here that have gone well over 100k without much issue.
I have been stressing this point for these and other issues people perceived as guaranteed to plague every LS460/600 owner, which is not the case nor true. Hanging out here on CL can give one a perception that they may/will have every issue a member post, not to mention plenty of variables play a part. Remember this is the Internet and sometimes you won't get the entire story (fear of being judge etc) but we step in to help regardless, like me there are LS owners who have been apart of this forum a years so we are very familiar with the LS strengths and shortcomings.
Old 03-22-15, 02:15 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Tee
I have been stressing this point for these and other issues people perceived as guaranteed to plague every LS460/600 owner, which is not the case nor true. Hanging out here on CL can give one a perception that they may/will have every issue a member post, not to mention plenty of variables play a part. Remember this is the Internet and sometimes you won't get the entire story (fear of being judge etc) but we step in to help regardless, like me there are LS owners who have been apart of this forum a years so we are very familiar with the LS strengths and shortcomings.
I cant agree more. There isn't a car that has been made that doesn't have it's shortcomings.
Another big misconceived notion is when some of the internals of an engine change which is often misunderstood as a design flaw that is being addressed which may or may not be the case. Often times the engineers will improve and evolve an engine during it's life cycle which may result in a better engine over all but it doesn't necessarily mean the first iteration of the engine is to be avoided.
Old 03-26-15, 05:33 AM
cuscon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have carchex for both my 460L and 430UL. I researched them and they are the #2 best car warranty to have!!!!
Old 07-14-15, 06:04 AM
Kdonahue
Driver School Candidate

Default Extended Lexus platinum warranty

Just got done working with Troy Dietrick (413-772-0231) with Toyota of greenfield ma. Great experience and best pricing I could find. 8 yrs 100k for $2,585. I had offers from other dealers for 6 yrs 72k for $4200. R u kidding me!!!!!! I highly recommend!
I have a 2011 LS 460 and the original warranty expires 9/11/15. I just bought the car in Feb private sale.

Last edited by Kdonahue; 07-14-15 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 07-14-15, 06:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdonahue
Just got done working with Troy Dietrick (413-772-0231) with Toyota of greenfield ma. Great experience and best pricing I could find. 8 yrs 100k for $2,585. I had offers from other dealers for 6 yrs 72k for $4200. R u kidding me!!!!!! I highly recommend!
Troy is selling warranties out of state again?I read Toyota/Lexus stopped him and Jerry Johnson months ago.
I just bought a discounted Platinum from Toby Rivers in Louisiana..
Old 07-14-15, 06:33 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

I had bad experience with carchex before, I had E46 M3, the reason I purchased the extended warranty was to cover the SMG pump, prior to signing the contract I repeatedly confirmed with the sales agent just to make sure SMG pump would be covered ( i had purchased bumper to bumper coverage). 4 month later, SMG pump failed, Carchex refused to replace it, their reason was"it wasnt LISTED on their contract" even though it was part of transmission.

I spoke to many many people inside the carchex, eventually they transferred me to the CEO after about month and half of calling, I asked him to pull the recording between me and the sales agent, he out right refused to do so and said he had listened the recording, and SMG pump was never mentioned between our conversation.

I guess what i am trying to say is, when you buying an extended warranty, make sure get everything on writing such as equipment that is specific to certain car manufacture like our Adaptive Variable Suspension might not be covered.

Quick Reply: Lexus Extended Warranty - best price ?