LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Got fed up with the Lexus

Old 08-14-14, 07:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Sorry to say but there are many many complaint threads in here and all what people have complained about I was experiencing.
Like?

If you think it's bad here (I don't think it is), you should visit the MB World forums. FAR more issues AND with repair costs in the astronomical to ridiculous range. The AMG and V12 even more so. This is why warranties are so hard to get for them and when you do get one, it's extremely expensive to purchase.

Issues with the LS are minor for a vehicle going on 8 years old. After getting out of my 7 series BMW, I was happy to rid myself of the drama.

On edit, I see that you have already posted on MB World about the issues with your new ride (hesitation, etc). Hopefully you'll get it squared away and nothing else will crop up. I also find it interesting that on that forum you called the LS "a great car" and that you were nervous about getting into a MB based on the issues you were aware of. Hopefully the warranty will give you piece of mind and you'll get to drive it more than it sits on a hoist. That's the one thing I love about my LS in comparison to my Beemer that left me in a courtesy car more than in my own.

Last edited by roadfrog; 08-14-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 08:00 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
The Lexus ride was much much smoother than the Mercedes.

I hated the navigation system in the Lexus, if there were overhead ramps on the highway the Lexus would get confused. I also hated that you couldn't input anything while the car was in motion.

I loved the one touch memory seat setting in the Lexus, the Mercedes you have to hold down the button.

The Mercedes DOES NOT have a heated steering wheel!!! WTF!!! its a Canadian car and I'm in Canada!!! I am really going to miss that feature.

This is probably a small issue but still bothers me, the windshield spray for the Mercedes streams, it doesn't spray the whole windshield.

Lexus air suspension took longer to raise compared to the Mercedes.

My passengers miss the shiatsu massage, I on the other hand am benefiting this time lol... The shiatsu massage in the Lexus can't compare to the Mercedes. That was the best feature in the Lexus or any vehicle for that matter.

In all I am happy with the Mercedes (for now). I hope I don't run into any major issues.

With the Lexus, I live in Canada and for some reason Toyota like to double the prices of parts here. One of the air ride sensors went on the car. In Canada it was $875 for the part plus our stupid 13% tax. I went to buffalo and got the part for $490 including tax.
Nice. That has the drivers massage seat correct? If Lexus doesn't have that in their next LS, then they are just idiots. It should have been in an 07, never mind an 2014. I'm surprised you haven't talked about the power and speed...

I do like the memory seats, as I have one set for relaxing (almost laying down), one for sitting upright, and one for really upright. Thing I don't understand about the Lexus is no memory seat for passenger, but memory seats for the rear? Odd
Old 08-14-14, 08:11 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Like?

If you think it's bad here (I don't think it is), you should visit the MB World forums. FAR more issues AND with repair costs in the astronomical to ridiculous range. The AMG and V12 even more so. This is why warranties are so hard to get for them and when you do get one, it's extremely expensive to purchase.

Issues with the LS are minor for a vehicle going on 8 years old. After getting out of my 7 series BMW, I was happy to rid myself of the drama.

On edit, I see that you have already posted on MB World about the issues with your new ride (hesitation, etc). Hopefully you'll get it squared away and nothing else will crop up. I also find it interesting that on that forum you called the LS "a great car" and that you were nervous about getting into a MB based on the issues you were aware of. Hopefully the warranty will give you piece of mind and you'll get to drive it more than it sits on a hoist. That's the one thing I love about my LS in comparison to my Beemer that left me in a courtesy car more than in my own.
Ah boy.. don't jinx me lol

Originally Posted by greg3852
Nice. That has the drivers massage seat correct? If Lexus doesn't have that in their next LS, then they are just idiots. It should have been in an 07, never mind an 2014. I'm surprised you haven't talked about the power and speed...

I do like the memory seats, as I have one set for relaxing (almost laying down), one for sitting upright, and one for really upright. Thing I don't understand about the Lexus is no memory seat for passenger, but memory seats for the rear? Odd
The power is a given..... the Merc has ridiculous power in it... I thought that when I was in ECO mode.. I switched it to sport mode for the first time yesterday.. OMG!!!

The 2 front seats in mine have massagers and the seats are ergonomically certified.

They put memory seats for the rear passenger because its supposed to be more of an "executive car". One someone will drive YOU out in.

Another thing that I didn't like about the Lexus was the fact I heard about a fridge in the car. That got me all hyped up, then I heard it was called an Ice box or cool box.... when I get the car I read in the book that you need to turn on the rear AC in order to get drinks cold. That was a bummer.

I never figured out what the "C" button was on the back door.

Last edited by triniexr; 08-14-14 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 08:16 AM
triniexr
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Like?

I am a bit worried about issues with this new car. That's why I went with something a bit newer and insisted on extra warranty.

With the Mercedes a lot of issues I hear about it oil and oil consumption.

BMW I hear a lot about tranny and electrical issues. Most people with the 7 series say its in the shop more than they drive it.

The S63 was a compromise with my fiancee. I wanted a GTR, she said we have to get a 4 door in case kids come along the way... S63 has the power that I like and the 4 door luxury she likes
Old 08-14-14, 08:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

From what I just found online. I have only sat in the back once, so I'm not sure either.

S-Saves the memory position; hold down until you hear a beep.

M-recalls the memory position (i.e. moves the seat from wherever to wherever). If you don't have a position set probably nothing will happen.

C-Cancel auto exit feature.

The auto exit feature returns the seat to the fully upright position when the rear door is opened and the engine is running (or the ignition key is in the 'on' position). Should you not want this after you open the door hit C and the movement will stop.
Old 08-14-14, 10:12 AM
Bolosdad
Driver

Originally Posted by triniexr
I am a bit worried about issues with this new car. That's why I went with something a bit newer and insisted on extra warranty.

With the Mercedes a lot of issues I hear about it oil and oil consumption.

BMW I hear a lot about tranny and electrical issues. Most people with the 7 series say its in the shop more than they drive it.

The S63 was a compromise with my fiancee. I wanted a GTR, she said we have to get a 4 door in case kids come along the way... S63 has the power that I like and the 4 door luxury she likes
The Benz does have the style over the lexus I'll give you that. Matter of fact there is a pretty gray 2013 sitting outside my office right now.
Old 08-14-14, 10:33 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Benz is nice, however Id do all the maintenance early, I wouldnt mind owning a newer Lexus out of warranty cant say Id say the same with a MB but I'd just try to get as much done under the warranty as I possibly can. I bet the 63 is a total blast to drive.
Old 08-14-14, 10:34 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolosdad
I was Looking at s550's for a long time before I got my ls. I wanted one badly but all the reviews were just scare and mostly about tranny problems.

Tranny is a slang term. It is used chiefly to describe people who are transgender, transsexual, transvestites or cross-dressers.

Hmmm, so owning a Benz brings tranny problems eh....
Old 08-14-14, 10:49 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

As long as it has a warranty enjoy it. When the warranty is running out you will need to jump ship ASAP before it sinks. You will lose heavily on resale value so consider the fun as being a perishable treat and not an asset.
Old 08-14-14, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

the way i see it, owning a mb you need to have warranty and you are golden, so just factor that in as purchase price. i have yet to hear from someone where the warranty purchase don't pay itself off. with that said, i had my s550 for a bit more than a year and it actually didn't give me much trouble at all. loved that thing. been looking at s63 or 2012+ s550 (ttv8) for a while already

nice ride!
Old 08-14-14, 11:28 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
. . .Thing I don't understand about the Lexus is no memory seat for passenger. . .
This all changed with the 2010 and newer cars. . .
Old 08-14-14, 12:05 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the new look I was actually looking at a few... it is what is as long as your happy... plus that thing is fast....
Old 08-14-14, 12:58 PM
Bolosdad
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Tranny is a slang term. It is used chiefly to describe people who are transgender, transsexual, transvestites or cross-dressers.

Hmmm, so owning a Benz brings tranny problems eh....
LOL!! No it will bring you fanny problems once that big repair bill comes. Almost got a 2008 s63 AMG for $42000 but when I researched repairs on it I was done. It's a bad car and I can't hate him for getting one because if I could enjoy it and could handle the maintenance on it I would have one also.
Old 08-14-14, 01:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolosdad
LOL!! No it will bring you fanny problems once that big repair bill comes. Almost got a 2008 s63 AMG for $42000 but when I researched repairs on it I was done. It's a bad car and I can't hate him for getting one because if I could enjoy it and could handle the maintenance on it I would have one also.
42k for a 08 s63, that car must have quite some miles or some underlying problems. but yes, like i said, you basically add a 3-4k warranty package to it as the purchase price, so just think of it as a car that cost 45-46k.
Old 08-14-14, 01:49 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes, I think we forget that not EVERY car made has issues. Sure there are a lot of different makes that suffer with some quality control issues, and parts that don't last, but it isn't every single vehicle that comes off the line. The ones we hear about are the ones who have the issues.

I look at it like I look at these forums. If someone was to look at this forum, the 460 is the worst car Lexus ever released. In reality we only hear about the problems because they come looking for assistance. There are thousands of 460 owners who have never had an issue and have never complained.

I try to remember this when thinking about maintenance issues. Also keep in mind, an LS with air suspension problems and no warranty is not something I'd like to deal with.

Wish the OP well, and enjoy the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got fed up with the Lexus