LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460 Brake Sensitivity

Old 03-21-16, 07:08 AM
boz151
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 LS460 Brake Sensitivity

Good Morning All, I've been reading and learning quite a bit on the forum since buying my first Lexus, a 2013 CPO LS460 just before Christmas so thank you for that. My question relates to the sensitivity of the brakes in this car. They seem to be more sensitive than any car I have owned in the past. It seems like some sort of brake assist is employed, all you have to do is touch the pedal and it feels like you are going to fly through the windshield.

I have not had the opportunity to ask the dealer yet, but is this normal for those of you who own this year/make? Or is it a setting the dealer could adjust maybe? Going from the 460 to my wife's car an vice versa makes for some fun stopping until you remember which car you are in.

Thanks for the guidance.
Old 03-21-16, 08:29 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

not sure what was your previous car, but lexus has the brake assist, is yours a F sport? they have bigger barkes+ better bite since they have the 6 pot Brembo Kit.

But you shouldn't be feeling what you are describing as going out the window, how many miles on your car?
Old 03-21-16, 08:43 AM
boz151
Driver School Candidate

Hi thanks for the response. I've had Audi's and Mercedes before this Lexus, all had brake assist, this one just seems a little more sensitive. Really just touching the brake pedal and pretty hard braking. It is not an F-Sport. Car has about 13,000 miles on it. Frankly, I've gotten used to it, but wasn't sure if the brake assist was somehow adjustable through a setting from the dealer maybe.
Old 03-21-16, 10:14 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Our 2012 AWD had this characteristic, a nonlinearity of the brake feel where you initially get not enough braking force, then too much in a binary type of transition (and too much pedal pressure needed to hold the car at a standstill, to the point that even the HOLD function would creep occasionally when stopped at a downhill light). I swapped out the brake pads for Akebono ACT1282 & ACT1283 which fixed the problem. During the install I found 2 sets of shims behind the front pads, which I think is normal per the installation pdf someone else posted. However, this seemed odd to me so I only installed one shim behind each pad. The brakes are perfectly linear now, even the dealer commented on how much better they feel. So perhaps the improvement was partly due to the pads, and partly due to fewer layers of spring steel between caliper pistons and the pads.
Old 03-21-16, 10:23 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

That's a really good observation, will check this out next time I am doing the brakes
Old 03-21-16, 10:50 AM
boz151
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tec80, I'll speak to the dealer about it and report back next time it is in for maintenance.
Old 03-21-16, 01:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

When I was looking to buy a new 2007, on the test drive my wife was with me. She sat in the back seat while the salesman was in the front passenger seat. A couple times when I was braking she told me to stop slamming on the brakes. I told her I wasn't slamming the brakes, I was using the same pressure as my current car ('95 Infiniti Q45a).

But you know what, once I got the car, within 2 days I was completely acclimated to them and they've seem normal ever since!
Old 03-21-16, 02:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a bit of brake "shock" when I upgraded my LS430 for an LS460 F-Sport but that's because of the Brembos. However even with the more responsive "grabby" brakes I never thought I'd fly thorough the windshield.
Old 03-21-16, 05:06 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, you'll never want a car to brake any other way. I love the stopping power of this car, in fact I find it difficult to drive other cars now. the brakes are sensitive or touchy, but they are just so good.

I have found that VW is similar, but they don't have the stopping power of this thing. The size of those front calipers are pretty impressive and the brake booster isn't what you'd find in most cars.
Old 03-21-16, 06:25 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

the ls460 have pretty decent brakes, the ls430 had good brakes too- some cars like my wifes rx350 have crappy brakes , the 2nd gen GS had crappy brakes too which i upgraded. But yes lexus kinda spoils you...

Originally Posted by Doublebase
It takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, you'll never want a car to brake any other way. I love the stopping power of this car, in fact I find it difficult to drive other cars now. the brakes are sensitive or touchy, but they are just so good.

I have found that VW is similar, but they don't have the stopping power of this thing. The size of those front calipers are pretty impressive and the brake booster isn't what you'd find in most cars.
Old 03-21-16, 08:20 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have a 13 LS 460 base with 31k miles, and I am experiencing this braking issue as well. It seems like it's more sensitive in "sport" mode. Feels like the transmission downshifting faster which gives a thrust feeling.

Maybe it's the brake assist? Can this be turned off?
Old 03-22-16, 03:50 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to get use to it as well. I would call them very touchy and non-linear or non-intuitive in feel, at least coming from a much older car.

One of the things I had to do was actually move my seat back a tad farther than what I'm normally use to get a comfortable leg/foot no brake to brake action without getting jerky or without my leg feeling funny while I purposely try and apply light or lighter pressure. This helped more than anything.
Old 03-22-16, 07:42 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same problem here for a while now .
New front suspension, all bushings. New brake system.
Basically after the brakes warm up, pressing the pedal in a rushed manner or stop and go traffic results in a thud, similar to when the control arm bushings are shot.

Will change to akenobo pads as soon as it gets warmer. Hope that cures it. It's a very unpleasant feeling and if it doesn't resolve I might sell the car as it ruins the driving experience.
Old 03-22-16, 06:18 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

well now since you guys are talking about it, its something i feel it too- i had a ls430 before the ls460 and a ISF before that, but LS460 brakes DO feel weirder, i mean its like i am always either braking too hard or not hard enough and get too close to the car in front. I just figured this is a different car/weight thing.
Old 03-23-16, 06:16 AM
boz151
Driver School Candidate

@UZ214 that describes it perfectly. In the end, I have gotten used to it, but there just doesn't seem to be a smooth power curve the the application of braking force. Doesn't ruin the ride for me, I was just curious if there was an adjustment possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 LS460 Brake Sensitivity