Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 LS460 AWD Motor on jack stands! *pics*

Old 08-12-14, 07:44 PM   #1
swirvin
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default 2009 LS460 AWD Motor on jack stands! *pics*

We've had a loaner car for a month now waiting for them to get the warranty work done on a Certified LS460 AWD we just purchased in June so they can buy back car from us.

Finally since the repairs were taking so long they went ahead and sold us new car and bought back old car before the work was even finished. We had to get some stuff out of the LS460 which was still on a lift in there shop.

I took these pics.

Yes the new car isn't a LS460, but we still love the sexiness of it! I can see a 2013/2014 LS460 in the future when we can afford a certified used one. It will definitely be RWD though.

I'm just happy to move on from this disaster!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

swirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 07:55 PM   #2
pmiller
Driver

What was the disaster? Please share you experiences.
pmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 08:26 PM   #3
sktn77a
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirvin View Post
Finally since the repairs were taking so long they went ahead and sold us new car and bought back old car before the work was even finished.
Care to share who "they" are?

2010 Toyota Prius
2008 Lexus IS250
2007 Lexus LS460
2005 Toyota Prius
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 09:05 PM   #4
greg3852
Lead Lap

Needs more info..

2007 LS 460 SWB Smoky Granite Mica
2010 HD Tri-Glide
2000 HD Wide Glide
greg3852 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 09:56 PM   #5
Devh
Lead Lap

It looks like these were the issues.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...200-miles.html
Interesting none the less. My guess is the valvetrain work wasn't performed correctly.
I hate to say it but anytime a dealer has to perform work of this nature including short block rebuilds you never know how much human error is going to be involved compared to strict manufacturing tolerances from the factory.
I'm not saying that all of these engine that had the TSB performed are a ticking time bomb but it does increase the chances. I also doubt they got that guy who listens to each of our engines with a stethoscope.
Devh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 04:20 AM   #6
1WILLY1
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (7)

bloody hell man , I am not just saying this for dramatic effect, but I was very certain that I would be moving up to a 460 from my 430 but after following this section and the issues I have no grudgingly accepted the fact that it will not be happening.

Far too many issues , id be so distraught to see my car taken apart like that, lexus dropped the ball BIG TIME.
Old 08-13-14, 04:54 AM   #7
GregoryNP
Driver

Who says extended warranties are't worth the money?
GregoryNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 10:07 AM   #8
Devh
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WILLY1 View Post
bloody hell man , I am not just saying this for dramatic effect, but I was very certain that I would be moving up to a 460 from my 430 but after following this section and the issues I have no grudgingly accepted the fact that it will not be happening.

Far too many issues , id be so distraught to see my car taken apart like that, lexus dropped the ball BIG TIME.
Every car that has been manufactured to date has issues, some worse then others. If you read into it too much then you will think all the LS460s are defective but that is not the case at all.
I try and stay away from first year models with new engines until they work the bugs but even then there have been many LS460s that have proven their reliability. Many variants of these engines are used in Toyota trucks with good service life.
I would stay away from AWD and air suspension if you don't want to be tied down to an extended warranty.
Old 08-13-14, 11:41 AM   #9
swirvin
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devh View Post
It looks like these were the issues.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...200-miles.html
Interesting none the less. My guess is the valvetrain work wasn't performed correctly.
I hate to say it but anytime a dealer has to perform work of this nature including short block rebuilds you never know how much human error is going to be involved compared to strict manufacturing tolerances from the factory.
I'm not saying that all of these engine that had the TSB performed are a ticking time bomb but it does increase the chances. I also doubt they got that guy who listens to each of our engines with a stethoscope.
Thank you for linking my previous post.

Basically car would not accelerate mainly on hilly roads with stop and go is when it started. I would have to shift car in manual mode to get acceleration back. It happened while we were on vacation. It's scary to pull out and car gets up to about 20mph and then nothing. After car would sit for several hours it would't do it again for days unless we had extended drive on the road conditions listed above.

The dealership was fantastic in rectifying the situation to my complete satisfaction!

They kept saying the Lexus rep had to approve the work. So 3 weeks ago they told me Lexus rep gave them permission to remove engine heads. After removal of engine heads Lexus rep was supposed to approve the exact parts needed to fix car. We waited very patiently for 4 weeks and I contacted the manager and he said they were going to go ahead and take care of us even though car was not repaired yet. I'm not even sure what the exact status is. In a few weeks I plan on emailing are sales rep to see what happened.
Old 08-13-14, 11:57 AM   #10
Devh
Lead Lap

Quote:
Thank you for linking my previous post.

Basically car would not accelerate mainly on hilly roads with stop and go is when it started. I would have to shift car in manual mode to get acceleration back. It happened while we were on vacation. It's scary to pull out and car gets up to about 20mph and then nothing. After car would sit for several hours it would't do it again for days unless we had extended drive on the road conditions listed above.

The dealership was fantastic in rectifying the situation to my complete satisfaction!

They kept saying the Lexus rep had to approve the work. So 3 weeks ago they told me Lexus rep gave them permission to remove engine heads. After removal of engine heads Lexus rep was supposed to approve the exact parts needed to fix car. We waited very patiently for 4 weeks and I contacted the manager and he said they were going to go ahead and take care of us even though car was not repaired yet. I'm not even sure what the exact status is. In a few weeks I plan on emailing are sales rep to see what happened.
Any reason why you didn't like the AWD.
Old 08-13-14, 12:12 PM   #11
swirvin
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devh View Post
Any reason why you didn't like the AWD.

After having those issues it scared me away whether the AWD had anything to do with it. Plus I'd prefer more power and acceleration over the AWD. We don't get that much snow here in NC. This particular LS460 had the features we were looking for. AWD wasn't one of them, I just figured that was a bonus when we purchased car. Until I researched the power differences later on... Plus it seems like it would be a more complicated system and out of warranty would cost a arm & leg to fix. If i ever purchase another LS460 it won't have air ride or AWD.

The carfax showed the car was from up north. So it makes sense for it to be AWD.

Last edited by swirvin; 08-13-14 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-13-14, 01:14 PM   #12
peteybabes
Lead Lap

Peter Kenimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WILLY1 View Post

This car is 1 in 1,000 with this issue, my LS430 center stack burnt out, and my low mile UL became a car worth $8500 overnight instead of $15K. . .

like another member mentioned on here a little while ago, most people on forums are there with their problems, but there are thousands of owners who are trouble free. . .
2007 LS 460 L - Smokey Granite Mica with Gray interior. Has the Executive Class Seating Package. Minor mods include full white LED interior lights swap, Crystal "start" ring, upgraded "hybrid" gray birdseye maple/chrome shift ****, HID fogs, 2 sets of wheels and a bunch of plans/dreams!

SOLD: 2001 LS 430 UL - Silver on Ecru with several mods
peteybabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 02:05 PM   #13
Devh
Lead Lap

Quote:
After having those issues it scared me away whether the AWD had anything to do with it. Plus I'd prefer more power and acceleration over the AWD. We don't get that much snow here in NC. This particular LS460 had the features we were looking for. AWD wasn't one of them, I just figured that was a bonus when we purchased car. Until I researched the power differences later on... Plus it seems like it would be a more complicated system and out of warranty would cost a arm & leg to fix. If i ever purchase another LS460 it won't have air ride or AWD.

The carfax showed the car was from up north. So it makes sense for it to be AWD.
I don't think your problem was the AWD, could be wrong. I was just wondering because I too did not have confidence in AWD unless it was a Toyota SUV, truck or a Subaru. When I felt the power difference and ride without AWD I was sold.
Old 08-19-14, 03:39 PM   #14
edarte
Pole Position

The OP's issue is identical to a number of other AWD owners, including myself. I had this problem in a 2009 and Lexus bought it back. I bought a new 2011 AWD that initially did not have the issue and then it developed.

Read this thread for the details
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...low-speed.html

Eventually Lexus issued a TSB- L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration. That removed 90% of the vibration. It is a simple transmission ECB patch.
1996 ES 300 (sold)
edarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:43 PM   #15
swirvin
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by edarte View Post
The OP's issue is identical to a number of other AWD owners, including myself. I had this problem in a 2009 and Lexus bought it back. I bought a new 2011 AWD that initially did not have the issue and then it developed.

Read this thread for the details
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls46...low-speed.html

Eventually Lexus issued a TSB- L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration. That removed 90% of the vibration. It is a simple transmission ECB patch.

Yes I've read through entire thread and when I brought car in to be checked out I gave them the TSB you listed.

The service adviser said they performed the TSB and car still had issue after test drive. So maybe its something else or something else in addition to that TSB that's defective.
Old 08-19-14, 04:43 PM