LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 03:04 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you should stick with a Honda Accord and dream on. You'll be miserable in an LS and you'll regret the GS 'cause you'll never convince anyone the GS is a flagship car. Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-14, 07:25 AM
hjones4841
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do drive a LS, be sure to go out to an uncrowded road or highway and experience the acceleration. The 0-60 and quarter mile specs would shame some 1960's muscle cars:-).
Old 08-09-14, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by david mack
There us no comparison there is a very good reason an LS is the flagship and costs more than a GS .... It's way better in every aspect
This depends on what you want from a car. Its not a better handling or a more fun to drive car. I can 100% understand why someone would choose a GS over an LS and prefer the GS, if that is the sort of car they're looking for. I appreciate those attributes, but wouldn't miss them if I were in an LS.

Not everybody wants a big cruiser like the LS. One thing I really like about the GS is the duality of the car. In normal mode down a nice highway it has a lot of the silence and glasslike ride that you get in the LS (not all, but a lot of it), but you turn it over to Sport S+ at it turns into a firm, really fun country road carver. The LS is much more of a single minded car. Again though, I've done that maybe 10 times since I've had the car, 90% of the time it sits in normal.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-09-14 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 02:58 PM
pmiller
Driver

I chose the LS because of the interior size. I sat in a GS and felt like my old Honda Accord in size. I wanted the biggest car I could get. I thought about a BMW 7 series, but obviously it has too many issues. I drive a 2010 L. The amount of room is awesome!!! It comes down typo preferences. I have a family of 5 that I wanted to be able to haul around. I didn't think the. GS would be big enough. As for the sport feel, I have the air suspension that I can set to sport. It's probably not as good as the GS, but it adds a little fun to an afternoon drive. The comparison is like the difference between a BMW 5 series and 7 series. They offer different things for different people.
Old 08-10-14, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

GS wouldn't have been big enough for your family of 5
Old 08-11-14, 08:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Get a 92 Honda Accord. You'll love it. LOL

Honestly....It's so hard to take your post seriously. Some of the statements your making are borderline trolling. Saying things like, "it didn't feel that fast, but then I didn't really "punch it" (or words to that effect), only fuel it.
Old 08-11-14, 08:30 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Well what you just said there is there is no point buying flagships, maybe your right, there is a point in luxury market where you reach a max out point of most features, tech, refinement, power, etc. for the best price and those cars in the lux market are your run of the mill GS's, E-Class's, 5-Series', A6's, etc. After that I agree that interior improvements maybe marginal but a lot more effort goes in to what you don't see like reducing wind noise, road noise, suspension, overall refinement, more importantly capturing the very essence of what that car is known for and take it make it better than ever and many other things I probably don't know about. I can give you an example out of my own household, this last time when my mom went to go trade in her '11 S63 w/ 93k miles, she thought maybe she wanted something smaller, so she asked the dealer if she can keep an E63 for couple of days and see what it felt like Although it rode well it was stiffer, there was bit more road noise, bit more wind noise, just a bit more or bit lees something, she just didn't feel super satisfied, so she she again settled for a '14 S63. Now obviously no flagship is gonna be a bang for your buck, because after mid-segemnt luxury cars like GS's, E-Calsss's, etc improvements are marginal per say but price does increase more than marginally but you should know that you are paying for the heritage more than anything else, if you don't feel the premium is worth it don't buy it simple as that. These cars of bought new and sometimes even used are more of a want than a "smart" decision. so it all depends on a person and what they feel about value...
Old 08-11-14, 08:59 AM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
GS wouldn't have been big enough for your family of 5
Last time I checked Lexus doesn't make a GS LWB. And no, 3 people don't fit comfortably in a mid sized car. Technically, they'd fit in a Civic. So, I guess I really went overboard in providing a nice ride for my family. Silly me.... Hahaha!!!!
Old 08-11-14, 09:16 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My true "Dream Car" would be a Maybach 62 or 62S, but you know, baby steps here!

I got the executive class seating package to get me a little closer to that 4-seat feel, and likely got a more reliable car as well, but I still have a decent used maybach in my sights within the next few years

Last edited by peteybabes; 08-11-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 10:23 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

My dream car is a reliable BMW but I don't think that will ever happen in my lifetime.
Old 08-11-14, 11:35 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

lol!! good one Devh!
Old 08-11-14, 02:50 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
My true "Dream Car" would be a Maybach 62 or 62S, but you know, baby steps here!

I got the executive class seating package to get me a little closer to that 4-seat feel, and likely got a more reliable car as well, but I still have a decent used maybach in my sights within the next few years
Pete: You might want to read this article before you get a Maybach.

http://archive.fortune.com/2011/11/2...tune/index.htm
Old 08-11-14, 04:00 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

unfortunately this is an extremely biased opinion about how Maybach existed, and really didn't discuss the car. . .

I have plenty of information on the vehicle itself from Maybach directly (when they were around )

Even now the prices are staying high, even though a LWB Phantom is not a bad option it certainly doesn't have the exclusivity, and even the Maybachs from 2004 had technology that they are just bringing out on the S-Class such as "magic ride control" etc...

and not to mention that Mercedes is bringing out the "pullman" which will be $1 million+ and are considering badging it with Maybach emblem again. . .
Old 08-11-14, 04:59 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After driving the LS-460 for almost 8 years now, every time I drive something else I am reminded of how great the LS is. With the exception of the new S600/S65 family, or even the S550 and some Bentleys, I don't think it is possible to find anything better that has "production car" status. The feature I like the most on my LS is that it never gives me trouble. 8 years of just regular dealer maintenance and nothing else. Put gasoline and go. That's a pipe dream of many other brands. It feels good not to have to fix a car.
Old 08-20-14, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not to bring this back up, but I was at the dealer today and they had a LS460L with the semi-aniline leather on the showroom floor in flaxen, so it was a great comparison to my flaxen GS which also has semi-aniline leather.

The LS is definately a step above the already very nice interior of the GS.

Differences:
1. The wood trim is a step above, the shimamoku trim has a lot of dynamic grain in it that the GS' already very nice linear espresso wood does not have, most notably the steering wheel.
2. The leather is softer
3. Carpeting is thicker
4. Everything is stitched leather or nu-luxe, including the tops of the door panels, the lower areas of the dash which on the GS are padded vinyl.
5. Alcantara headliner
6. Real leather armrests (nu-luxe in the GS)

That LS stickered for $88k, so $28,000 more than my GS. Worth $28,000 more? Thats up for debate. The L has that cavernous back seat...but I think any argument that the GS and LS feel "the same" inside isn't a fair assessment.

Quick Reply: Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"