LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"

Old 08-07-14, 10:12 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"

I am looking to get a 4th gen GS and seen many people in that forum say they are "working" to get to their dream car which is the LS. I went to sewell on Saturday test drove the GS350 (non f-sport) then got into the LS460 14 model or something and said hell no and got out of it. What makes this car more deseriable then say the GS or ES? The HP is up there but the speed isn't faster then the GS I don't think and the gas mileage is horrible. I didn't test drive it so I don't know how the ride is. I don't see any features in that car that isn't in the GS? Maybe I am wrong but someone tell me what makes that so much better then the GS so I can do some research. The 2013 model should be in the 50's by the time I am to buy and a little more then the GS.
Old 08-08-14, 12:04 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ride, technology, room, class, looks, LS heritage. Not saying the GS isn't a great car as well; it's just not the flagship. I find it curious you sat in one and said "Hell no" and didn't further explain why.
There's no "one" thing - it's the sum of its parts.
Gas mileage is horrible? If I keep my foot out of my car I get about 30 MPG on the freeway with the cruise at 70 mph. Also, generally you can get more options on an LS (exec package, rear DVD entertainment, power door closers, double-paned glass, cool box, reclining rear seats, massaging rear seat, etc.
The LS I wouldn't call my dream car - if I'm dreaming I'd have a new Aston Martin or Bentley or something. For me it's just been a reality, and never did I think I'd have a car as nice as this.

Last edited by sparky3; 08-08-14 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 02:52 AM
hjones4841
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
I am looking to get a 4th gen GS and seen many people in that forum say they are "working" to get to their dream car which is the LS. I went to sewell on Saturday test drove the GS350 (non f-sport) then got into the LS460 14 model or something and said hell no and got out of it. What makes this car more deseriable then say the GS or ES? The HP is up there but the speed isn't faster then the GS I don't think and the gas mileage is horrible. I didn't test drive it so I don't know how the ride is. I don't see any features in that car that isn't in the GS? Maybe I am wrong but someone tell me what makes that so much better then the GS so I can do some research. The 2013 model should be in the 50's by the time I am to buy and a little more then the GS.
You should have driven it. That is what I did in December. I test drove a new GS, then a 2011 LS. I bought the LS that afternoon. I am more impressed with the LS each time I drive it - power, ride, quietness. I have yet to get 30MPG on the freeway as the other poster, but with the LS in economy mode I get 26-27.
Old 08-08-14, 06:20 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Well you really should be asking GS owners why it is their dream car and I'm sure it will come down to personal preference, different variables and because they want it. You already approached your investigation into the LS with a closed mind (which is a fail already) by just sitting in the car and not asking your sales person for a test drive to truly do a comparison. You did not spend enough time with the LS IMO to a conclusion the LS is not that much more better than a GS & ES, like others said the LS is the flagship of the Lexus lineup for reason. The LS does not compete with the GS due to they are in different classes and the LS is all about luxury not sport (although a sport model is available) so your POV will be different if your prefer sport over luxury ride. I think you need to go for a test drive, drive the GS again then take the LS out next and ask for the longest route not the short one. I think then you will get an idea between the two cars.
Old 08-08-14, 06:43 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2010 GS and moved to the LS because of the flagship. I've always wanted this car because of the ride, features and the big body feel. If you're not into it, then you're not into it. There are plenty of people that feel that the IS and GS are their dream cars.
Old 08-08-14, 07:36 AM
RodT
Pole Position

I agree with Tee, broken_tsi, sparky3 and hjones. The LS just has features and feels different from other models that lexus offers. In order to get an understanding of the LS you would have to drive I mean experience one. However, if you are more into a sportier feel then you wouldn't consider the LS as a dream car because its the complete opposite feeling. But if you are looking to being catered to while driving then the LS is the car for you.
Old 08-08-14, 09:34 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got back from a 1400 mile trip in the LS. Couldn't have asked for more comfort. Averaged 29mpg for the trip. I don't consider that horrible. Seems like you are more into a sporty ride. Some like comfort, some like sport. I do suggest you test drive one. As much as I complain about my tires, I still would choose my 2007 LS over a 2013 GS. Actually I did. I could have gotten a GS, but I prefer the large comfortable cruiser.

Also, a GS vs LS spec war has the LS being faster to 60, has 80 more HP, and 90 more lb/ft of torque. For what is very close to the same gas mileage.

Last edited by greg3852; 08-08-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 10:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

It's the difference between a Boeing 777 and a 747.
The 747 was the feat of engineering for Boeing and it was one of the biggest deals in aviation for it's time and it continues today with a long service life, and a smooth ride.
The 747 has two extra engines and it also has the equivalent L model option.

Last edited by Devh; 08-08-14 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tomgarv (09-13-21)
Old 08-08-14, 10:26 AM
krava
Lead Lap

I will see if I can get a test drive of that car here to test it out. I sat in the car expecting a lot more. If you look at the 3rd gen GS vs the LS you can see the difference off the bat. You can see that the 3rd gs has vinyl all over, not much wood if any and the interior is nothing. When you go to the 4th gen GS you can see the dash has leather on it that has stitching. To me the interior is the same as the LS. Now granted it was 99 outside and it was probably 120 inside with the windows rolled up and I wanted to get out pretty fast. I was expecting night and day on the interior of it and I didn't see it. I am used to putting my left elbow on the window and holding the steering wheel with one hand. The LS is too big for that and I have to put both hands on it so I have to drive a bit different.I will let you know what I think of it when I get back.
Old 08-08-14, 10:39 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I am used to putting my left elbow on the window and holding the steering wheel with one hand.
That's how a ballah rolls, yo.

Old 08-08-14, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

As someone who owns a 4GS and is one of the people that would have an LS if it weren't for the cost, I can elaborate. My father had two LS's, a 400 and a 430, so I'm familiar with the LS feel and ride.

No the interior of the current LS is not an incredible difference from the 4GS. Thats because the 4GS made a huge leap in quality and design from the 3GS, while the LS is more of an incremental improvement over the previous LS. The 4GS' interior is unusually nice for its segment.

Differences between the 4GS interior and the LS...well the leather on the dash and doors of the GS is synthetic, the leather on the dash and doors of the LS is real. Materials are a little better in general in the LS. The LS is bigger, most notably in the rear seat.

The biggest thing that sets the LS apart is the drive. The GS rides and drives great, it reminds me a lot of the LS actually in the solid glasslike way it glides down the road...but the LS is on another level when it comes to quietness, refinement, and smoothness in everything it does. The GS is smaller, lighter, nimbler, more fun to drive. The LS is heavier, larger, has more presence on the road and is more comfortable overall.

In terms of comparisons to the ES...well the ES has the size but thats all. The GS and LS both are far higher end feeling and more refined feeling on the road than the ES. The ES rides and drives like a more refined Toyota (I had two remember), and while thats fine...its not a special feeling car like the GS and LS are.

If you want a sporty fun to drive car, you won't like the LS probably. But if you want a big body flagship car the LS is going to make any other Lexus pale by comparison. I actively try not to drive them lets just put it that way...because driving one reminds me how much I'm missing. I haven't driven one since I got used to driving the GS, but at least thats how I felt when comparing them to the ES.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-08-14 at 01:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomgarv (09-13-21)
Old 08-08-14, 01:58 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps consider an F-Sport LS?

it's is till a bit car, but even better sport components, and shockingly quick and powerful Brembos stopping you. Made it feel like a smaller car when i drove it, and seemed that it stopped quicker than the GS to me...
Old 08-08-14, 08:10 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I test drove the 2011 LS today. I almost didn't get the chance because I called them up verified they had one and came over. Then my sales guy that I met before met me at the door and asked me why I was back. I told him why I was there and he said the dealership didn't have a use one in stock and then after saying I am going to the manager and I was tired of all the lies at the dealership, I finally got him to say they will let me test drive one. They said they don't let anyone test drive the new ones. He asked me when I was going to buy and I said Decemeber 30th. He told me that I should wait and come back then. I drove to another city just to test drive it and then he says wait until then? Anyway I drove it and it was like driving any other large car. I felt it was a bit sluggish when getting on the freeway but I didn't punch it like I did the 4gs I test drove. The interior was just as good as the 3gs and no where near as good as the 4gs. (but remember this was the 1st gen LS I drove). I could still feel bumps on the freeway but I do agree it was quiet and I felt as if I was in a big car. Hell I even went to look at a Honda accord. Fully loaded Honda accord is $20K cheaper then the similar GS. I didn't test drive that thing though. I still have some figuring out to do. New or Used GS350, CPO bmw 535i or D with 5 years left on the warranty or new Honda accord if I want to be a cheap ***. If I end up with the GS again that will make 3 in a row.
Old 08-08-14, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

2013-2014 LS is a big improvement over the older LS460s.

They wouldn't let you drive a new one because they didn't take you seriously as a buyer.
Old 08-09-14, 01:10 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There us no comparison there is a very good reason an LS is the flagship and costs more than a GS .... It's way better in every aspect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people want the LS as their "Dream car"