LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Intermittent Airbag Warning Light - Service Bulletin 282827

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 04:55 PM
Stuart S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Airbag Warning Light - Service Bulletin 282827

I started this thread because I searched the Forum and found nothing on this matter.

I am the original owner of a 2007 LS460 with under 36K miles. Recently, my SRS (Airbag) warning light came on, but after I restarted the car it went off. However, shortly thereafter it came back on again, but it went off after I restarted the car. The last time it came on it stayed on. So I brought it in to the dealer 2 weeks ago to diagnose it. They provided me with a service loaner ES350 and I'm still waiting for their decision as to what, if anything, they will do.

I discovered that on January 13, 2010, Lexus issued Service Bulletin Number 282827 in response to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) Action Number 10033557. Here is the Summary: "Lexus supplemental restraint systems. Some model vehicles may exhibit an srs light on condition with dtc b1861 and/or b1866. After confirming the vehicle condition matches the bulletin, it will direct you to replace the instrument panel."

It appears that my LS460 matches that bulletin. Note that this is a Service Bulletin and NOT a recall, notwithstanding the fact that it pertains to a safety system, namely, SRS - the supplemental restraint system (airbags). My Service Adviser told me that because Lexus has not received enough complaints this matter has not been escalated to the level of a recall. He did not tell me how many complaints were received.

Because my car is out of warranty, my Service Adviser requested a courtesy repair from Lexus for the following reasons: (1) I purchased 2 brand new vehicles from this dealer (LS460 and RX350); (2) both vehicles have been serviced by the book; and (3) my LS460 has under 36K miles.

I would like to know if any other LS460 owners have experienced a similar intermittent airbag warning light and, if so, how that was resolved.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-05-14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 07:40 PM
Stuart S
Driver School Candidate

Hasn't anyone had their airbag light come on?
Old 09-04-14, 07:40 AM
Stuart S
Driver School Candidate

Update as of 8/31/2014:

Lexus offered to pay for the parts if I would pay for the labor. This decision was made by the Lexus District Parts Manager. I sought additional assistance from Lexus Corporate, but they would not override the decision made by the DPM. That left me no choice but to pay the labor charges, which I did under protest citing TSB 282827 and NHTSA 10033557 in order to pursue reimbursement.

Lexus Part# 82141-50E50, Wire, Instrument Panel, List Price: $2,378.11, Internet Price: $1,789.98. http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...141-50e50.html Pretty expensive wiring harness! Labor: 15.3 hours @ $95/hr.: $1,453.50

I am surprised that Lexus, in their "relentless pursuit of perfection", did not fully cover the cost of this repair. IMHO, Lexus is "penny wise and pound foolish", even if they haven't had many claims and have not escalated this to a recall, since it involves a primary safety system with potential liability.
Old 09-04-14, 08:07 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Has Lexus accused you of some sort of negligence that has caused this problem? Has your car been involved in a collision? Have there been any wiring modifications such as the Nav car-in-motion lockout override?

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-04-14 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 08:41 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Yup..this is a $4k fix..mine was covered under CPO warranty. Known TSB issue on some VIN ranges. Sucks you aren't under warranty..but when the SRS light is on, I believe the system does not work in case of an accident so for that reason alone I feel they should do more to cover the cost. This harness connects virtually everything behind the dash, so it's pretty involved
Old 09-04-14, 08:48 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Has Lexus accused you of some sort of negligence that has caused this problem? Has your car been involved in a collision? Have there been any wiring modifications such as the Nav car-in-motion lockout override?
I was told a batch of harnesses could develop a short based on a manufacturing defect in which case it may throw the srs light..it is def not due to owner fault..the issue could be present in many vehicles but may never fail
Old 09-04-14, 09:46 AM
Stuart S
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
1. No. Lexus did not accuse me of any sort of negligence.
2. Yes, there was a collision 2 years ago. I asked the dealer to thoroughly inspect the entire dashboard area to determine whether or not the intermittent airbag light was caused by or related to the collision. The dealer determined that there was no damage to the dashboard area and the intermittent airbag light was not caused by or related to the collision. That is reflected in writing on my invoice. If the dealer determined it was related to that collision, I would have reopened the insurance claim and had it fixed by the body shop at the insurer's expense since they guaranteed that repair for as long as I own the car.
3. No. My car is 100% stock with no mods anywhere.

If anyone has access to the full text of Lexus Technical Information Service Bulletin 282827, I would appreciate it if you would copy it into this thread since I don't have a subscription to AllData or access to the Lexus Tech website.

I thought I read somewhere that TISB 282827 extends warranty coverage to 7 years or 70,000 miles from the in-service date, whichever comes first. If that is, in fact, the case, then Lexus should have covered this repair 100% under warranty. I bought the car brand new on October 2, 2007 and it had 35,841 miles when I brought it to my Lexus dealer for repair on July 16, 2014.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-04-14, 12:22 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

If you can still get the "defective" harness you should ask for it and a statement as to how it is defective. If the cause of failure is material or workmanship related then you should appeal to Lexus, in writing, via certified USPS mail, for a refund of the labor charge. Harnesses, especially interior harnesses, should have a life expectancy of many decades as regards materials and workmanship.

I searched thoroughly for the Lexus TSIB and NHTSA numbers that you cited and couldn't find anything.
Old 07-30-15, 02:00 PM
susiequeue
Driver School Candidate

Default airbag light malfunction on LS430

I have a 2006 LS430 and have had the vehicle in numerous times (probably 5 over the course of a year) for this issue. I brought up the code in this thread with my service advisor but was told it didn't apply to my vehicle. The last time they kept my car for more than 3 weeks and drove it 400 miles trying to get it to come back on but it never did. I have had it back for about 5 weeks now and it did come on about 3 weeks ago but it went off when I turned off the ignition and so far has not come back on. It only has 45,000 miles on it and I still have 3.5 years of extended warranty since it bought it as a certified preowned. I have not had to pay anything each time. With all the airbag recalls happening I am concerned that it may malfunction and shoot shrapnel into my face. Any other LS430's with this same problem?
Old 07-31-15, 05:03 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by susiequeue
I have a 2006 LS430 and have had the vehicle in numerous times (probably 5 over the course of a year) for this issue. I brought up the code in this thread with my service advisor but was told it didn't apply to my vehicle. The last time they kept my car for more than 3 weeks and drove it 400 miles trying to get it to come back on but it never did. I have had it back for about 5 weeks now and it did come on about 3 weeks ago but it went off when I turned off the ignition and so far has not come back on. It only has 45,000 miles on it and I still have 3.5 years of extended warranty since it bought it as a certified preowned. I have not had to pay anything each time. With all the airbag recalls happening I am concerned that it may malfunction and shoot shrapnel into my face. Any other LS430's with this same problem?
Welcome to Club Lexus!

You might want to copy and paste your post to this thread in the LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-problem.html
Old 01-11-17, 10:40 AM
vinniesabo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My SRS warning light just started showing about a week ago, Thursday. Drove it again Saturday, didn't come on. Sunday it was on again, turned the car off and on at stoplight, it was gone again. I purchased a Lexus Extra Care Gold VSA but they're saying that it's not covered. I see that this post is a couple of years old and I'm wondering if there's been a recall since the last comments. I will do some research and come back with info, meanwhile if anyone has any new info. it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-04-20, 08:57 PM
LS460Crown
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vinniesabo
My SRS warning light just started showing about a week ago, Thursday. Drove it again Saturday, didn't come on. Sunday it was on again, turned the car off and on at stoplight, it was gone again. I purchased a Lexus Extra Care Gold VSA but they're saying that it's not covered. I see that this post is a couple of years old and I'm wondering if there's been a recall since the last comments. I will do some research and come back with info, meanwhile if anyone has any new info. it would be much appreciated.
I've started having the same issue. I need to get under the dash and follow to the passenger seat, which I think is the issue.