LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...

Old 07-21-14, 08:22 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...

Just some quick thoughts -

Car - 2007 L w/exec

First of all, there's a how-to video on the stereo removal. I'm not sure if it was just my car, but that leather right around the radio bezel is VERY soft and if you're not careful you can scratch and chip it off easily. In the video he's basically showing you an already pre-disassembled unit; he shows taking a trim removal tool at the bottom of the stereo. I would submit one should try to go LOWER than that to save their leather surround; I was using trim removal tools as well.

This is my 2nd "prestigious society" install; the first was on my wife's 2011 Sienna. At least for the 07, it only has one button. The DVD playback is available at all times (my wife has a separate button for the NAV and DVD). It last for 5 minutes; I suggest mounting the switch somewhere handy but not visible unless you want to stare at another bright light while it's on. I mounted mine above the accelerator pedal.

For the VAIStech unit (gives MP3/USB in "CD changer" emulation mode, I ran the female end of the USB to my glovebox - the car had a 12V charger and AUX port already; I popped this piece out and ran the USB on the bottom. Not as clean as other installs I've seen, but it was hot tonight.
I had a big problem where to mount the unit itself - I didn't want to stick it behind the glovebox when I had it out as it's a pain to get to it again so I did this: on the passenger floor I pulled the carpet back all the way nearest the front I could and stuck it flat in there. It was a challenge, but one can't even tell it's there.

The "sagging" glovebox is no more. Lots of thread on here about it - what I did differently was looked at how the driver's side was - lots of slop where the closing latch fits into the plastic. I simply cut small pieces of black tape and placed inside this piece to force it back further. Sorry no pics. Also, if you do the driver's side you have to do the passenger else it'll "lean" down on the right side. I basically tied two small knots in the string that holds it shut and it worked out fine.

Anyway, just thought I'd leave my .02 here. Car is done. I'll go grab the 5d3 and get a couple shots of this installed.
Old 07-21-14, 08:44 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Some pics...

At long last, the glovebox doesn't sag!
Attached Thumbnails Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6137.jpg   Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6138.jpg   Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6141.jpg   Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6142.jpg   Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6147.jpg  

Old 07-21-14, 08:46 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Two things left to figure out on this car.

1. There is a very small spot on the passenger seat that drives me nuts. I've tried cleaning it but it won't go away (tried leather cleaner / conditioner (and hair spray)). My eyes are drawn to it immediately. What would you guys do about this?
Attached Thumbnails Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6144.jpg   Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6144-2.jpg  
Old 07-21-14, 08:48 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

2nd thing that irks me a tad, but not as much as the seat:

The GAP on the left side of the trunklid is ever so slightly bigger than the right side. I imagine I'd have to remove lots of trunk panels to have a shot at adjusting this. My co-worker thinks I'm nuts for even caring about this, but it's just how I am.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6163.jpg   Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6164.jpg  
Old 07-21-14, 08:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky3
Two things left to figure out on this car. 1. There is a very small spot on the passenger seat that drives me nuts. I've tried cleaning it but it won't go away (tried leather cleaner / conditioner (and hair spray)). My eyes are drawn to it immediately. What would you guys do about this?
That looks more like a scratch/abrasion more than a stain to me.
Old 07-21-14, 09:07 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
That looks more like a scratch/abrasion more than a stain to me.
Perhaps. How to fix though short of paying through the nose and getting the entire panel replaced? Touch up leather care?
Old 07-21-14, 09:43 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Almost forgot to add my favorite button on the entire car!
Attached Thumbnails Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...-5e1a6158.jpg  
Old 07-22-14, 08:34 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to your local auto parts and see if you can get a can of leather dye to match.
Old 07-22-14, 10:57 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

absolutely agreed!!
Old 07-22-14, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

good thread, nice installs. you sure the car didn't have accident before? the gap difference is quite obvious left and right i think

for the leather, i am going to state what i have done in the past. some people might not agree and it's up to you. i can't tell if it's stains or actual damage, but you can try to use a soft hair toothbrush and Soft Scrub. do NOT get the one with bleach, apply a bit, and use the tooth brush to rub. if it's stains, it should work. afterward make sure you use leather conditioner again. this worked very well on my old car and it pretty much made the leather look new again and no degrade in the leather. try this on your own risk though, just make sure no bleach and try it on a hidden area first if you are afraid
Old 07-22-14, 01:30 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the same gap difference issue in my previous 2008. Only had the rubber trunk switch changed, no accidents. Also, saw it on a brand new 2014 in the show room. Seems to be a common problem. somehow very visible in Silver cars.
Old 07-22-14, 02:29 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I had the same gap difference issue in my previous 2008. Only had the rubber trunk switch changed, no accidents. Also, saw it on a brand new 2014 in the show room. Seems to be a common problem. somehow very visible in Silver cars.
Yeah no accidents from my car. After I noticed it I started looking around and it seems like a flaw on many of our cars.

The big question is this - what's the easy fix for it? I'm not sure if I should try to adjust the trunk lid where it attaches to the trunk, or where the attached "bars" meet under the trunk.

When I took my car in for the 45k service last week I asked the dealership to look at it - they told me it'd have to go to the bodyshop.
Old 07-22-14, 02:31 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
good thread, nice installs. you sure the car didn't have accident before? the gap difference is quite obvious left and right i think

for the leather, i am going to state what i have done in the past. some people might not agree and it's up to you. i can't tell if it's stains or actual damage, but you can try to use a soft hair toothbrush and Soft Scrub. do NOT get the one with bleach, apply a bit, and use the tooth brush to rub. if it's stains, it should work. afterward make sure you use leather conditioner again. this worked very well on my old car and it pretty much made the leather look new again and no degrade in the leather. try this on your own risk though, just make sure no bleach and try it on a hidden area first if you are afraid
Will try this tonight, thanks!
Old 07-27-14, 11:21 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Poor-fitting trunk lid is unacceptable and I highly doubt it came from the factory that way. I say it's wishful thinking. Yes, I'm confident a body shop would easily slide it right into proper alignment for you (and may give you some insight into how it got that way).

Unless you've owned the car since day one, you really never know what happened before you got it. Carfax doesn't / can't capture everything.
Old 08-04-14, 11:29 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you Please tell me what that button is for?

There are companies around here, that their job is fixing spots like the one on your seat. If you asked someone at the dealership who they use, maybe they'll tell you instead of telling you to bring it in and they'll take care of it for you (of course at a premium).

I do agree that it looks like a scuff though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Added Nav Override, Vaistech, fixed glovebox tonight...