LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Homelink - losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 04:52 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgameover
has anyone been able to link their neighborhood gate to the home link? I got my garage opener to link up on the home link with ease, but as for the gate, the home link would not sync up to the gate fob. I've tried so many times with clearing the home link that i got tired of repeatedly llinking my garage door, that i eventually gave up. The light would not blink fast to accept the signal on the gate fob. anyone have any suggestions?
You did not give us any specifics about your gate equipment so giving you a complete answer is difficult. Some of the access control systems are designed to make them difficult to copy. DoorKing is one of the more common types and their MicroPlus controls are designed to not work with HomeLink to alleviate security concerns.

Here is a link to DoorKing's MicroPlus Controls Internet page: http://www.doorking.com/access-contr...f-controls.php
Old 07-23-14, 02:53 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By your statement, Im not sure of the gate brand, but I can tell you that it isn't DoorKing since home link works in both of my other vehicles, a dodge and honda. I will try to find out the who manufactures the gate and get back to you. Thanks.

Last edited by mrgameover; 07-23-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 03:03 PM
jmcraney

By your statement, Im not sure of the gate brand, but I can tell you that it isn't DoorKing since home link works in both of my other vehicles, a dodge and honda. I will try to find out the who manufactures the gate next time and get back to you. Thanks.
A better plan would be to take a close-up photo, front and back, of your gate remote control.
Old 07-23-14, 09:41 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
A better plan would be to take a close-up photo, front and back, of your gate remote control.

Wow totally slip my mind to to even check the key fob! Looks like it is Door King. Has DKS on the front and "made in USA" on the backside. So can you tell me why it pairs up so easily on both of my honda and dodge? This is the same fob that I that use to pair the other two vehicles.

Looks like I have the MircoCLIK model and it should be compatible with home link. Still can't pair it up to my car. Would being an 07L make a difference? I believe there were some home link unit faulty in the earlier years, but if that was the case, wouldn't i have trouble with my garage door as well? Do you have any other suggestion? I appreciate you taking your time on this subject, JM.

Last edited by mrgameover; 07-23-14 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Yikes! sorry for the large photo.
Old 07-24-14, 06:31 AM
jmcraney

From what you have told us, and your photo, it seems that your remote control is probably a DoorKing MicroCLIK and should be compatable with the HomeLink in your car. I believe that these devices are "fixed code" devices, as opposed to rolling code devices that are used with most modern garage door openers, and require a different procedure for copying the device code to the HomeLink in your car than the procedure you use for the garage door opener.

I think the easiest thing for you would be to go to the HomeLink Internet site and follow their instructions, keeping in mind that your gate remote is a FIXED CODE device. If you are unable to resolve your problem with their instructions then give them a call, as they are very helpful and willing to steer you to success if that is possible.

The HomeLink site is here: http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-24-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 09:20 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckwagon
What year is your 460? MY 2007 would not program to a new Liftmaster a couple months back. But the 2007 460 is on Homelink's list of vehicles eligible for a free repeater. I paid the shipping only, which was like $6 or so. It is certainly worth checking with Homelink to find out if you are eligible for the free unit.

The repeater did work, and I could program the car. But I had to have the repeater remote actually touching the panel in the car to get it to program, not the 1-3" away the instructions say.

Good luck,
Charles
There's even more to the story. I had to purchase the repeater in order to program my 04 LS430. It allowed me to link. However, the "repeater" has to be plugged into your house circuits. My Chamberlain has the battery included so you can open the garage door in case of an electrical failure. This mean that the repeater will not be powered during an electrical failure and will not open the garage door! When I called Chamberlain and asked about this, they recommended that I carry the hand held remote in my car for such an event. They never mention any of this on the box or in the instructions.
Old 07-24-14, 03:25 PM
mrgameover
Driver

From what you have told us, and your photo, it seems that your remote control is probably a DoorKing MicroCLIK and should be comparable with the HomeLink in your car. I believe that these devices are "fixed code" devices, as opposed to rolling code devices that are used with most modern garage door openers, and require a different procedure for copying the device code to the HomeLink in your car than the procedure you use for the garage door opener.

I think the easiest thing for you would be to go to the HomeLink Internet site and follow their instructions, keeping in mind that your gate remote is a FIXED CODE device. If you are unable to resolve your problem with their instructions then give them a call, as they are very helpful and willing to steer you to success if that is possible.

The HomeLink site is here: http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome

FINALLY paired!! Ive been on their site before. The earliest vehicle model from that link was 2011. I chose 2011 and tried a few times again just now. Had the fob all around the headliner. Neighbors was probably thinking that I was trying to catch a mosquito or something. I must've tried about 8 times still no luck. I sat back for a second, then i decided to press the sunglass holder button and held the fob up in the opening (not the holder). Sure enough the light started flashing rapidly! I then released both buttons then press the programed home link button with a solid light! What a relief. Not like the gate fob was a big deal or anything, but for a vehicle of this caliber, I just wanted to utilize all the features. You been a great help and I appreciate it, man. Thanks again!

Last edited by mrgameover; 07-24-14 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 04:38 PM
jmcraney

FINALLY paired!! Ive been on their site before. The earliest vehicle model from that link was 2011. I chose 2011 and tried a few times again just now. Had the fob all around the headliner. Neighbors was probably thinking that I was trying to catch a mosquito or something. I must've tried about 8 times still no luck. I sat back for a second, then i decided to press the sunglass holder button and held the fob up in the opening (not the holder). Sure enough the light started flashing rapidly! I then released both buttons then press the programed home link button with a solid light! What a relief. Not like the gate fob was a big deal or anything, but for a vehicle of this caliber, I just wanted to utilize all the features. You been a great help and I appreciate it, man. Thanks again!
Congratulations! I know you are pleased after that long struggle. I was about to suggest that you replace the battery in your MicroCLIK remote before you give up. When the battery nears the end of it's life the signal becomes very weak and requires that transmitter (remote) be very close to the HomeLink when programming. Sounds like that may be why you had so much difficulty. It doesn't make much difference now unless you are using your remote as a loaner or backup.
Old 07-24-14, 07:20 PM
mrgameover
Driver

That might have been the case. I will replace the battery soon.
Old 07-29-15, 02:44 PM
beepa02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fast flash

My homelink in my GS300 suddenly lost its ability to accept a remote change. The remote battery tests at 12.34 volts. I've programmed many homelink systems and have switched remotes as I housesit at various places. Never had this problem in this car. I hold the remote close to the button I want to reprogram, and the light changes to solid after a few seconds. Anybody had this experience and found a solution?
Old 07-29-15, 03:22 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
There's even more to the story. I had to purchase the repeater in order to program my 04 LS430. It allowed me to link. However, the "repeater" has to be plugged into your house circuits. My Chamberlain has the battery included so you can open the garage door in case of an electrical failure. This mean that the repeater will not be powered during an electrical failure and will not open the garage door! When I called Chamberlain and asked about this, they recommended that I carry the hand held remote in my car for such an event. They never mention any of this on the box or in the instructions.
Just buy a correctly sized UPS battery backup like used on computers for the repeater.
A $50/350VA one should do the trick.
Old 07-29-15, 05:55 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by beepa02
My homelink in my GS300 suddenly lost its ability to accept a remote change. The remote battery tests at 12.34 volts. I've programmed many homelink systems and have switched remotes as I housesit at various places. Never had this problem in this car. I hold the remote close to the button I want to reprogram, and the light changes to solid after a few seconds. Anybody had this experience and found a solution?
You have not told us enough details to say for sure what is going on but I suspect that it is an issue of the remote being of the new "Security + 2.0" verity and your car being an older model that does not support it. A good explanation of this problem can e found in Post #31 of this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...for-genie.html
Old 07-30-15, 07:09 AM
beepa02
Driver School Candidate

You have not told us enough details to say for sure what is going on but I suspect that it is an issue of the remote being of the new "Security + 2.0" verity and your car being an older model that does not support it. A good explanation of this problem can e found in Post #31 of this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...for-genie.html
Here're more details: returned from 10 day vacation. Homelink button in car wouldn't open garage. Used front door, then used my one-button Genie remote with 9-volt battery to open garage to put car away. Next day tried re-programming my car button using that remote (battery measures 12.34 volts). LED stopping flashing and turns solid. Stays like that until I gave up 30 seconds after. I've programmed Homelink systems many, many times and have no problem following the manual instructions for this step and then the learn step, but repeated tries with this button over the last week all fail. Any ideas what's wrong?
Old 07-30-15, 01:06 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by beepa02
Here're more details: returned from 10 day vacation. Homelink button in car wouldn't open garage. Used front door, then used my one-button Genie remote with 9-volt battery to open garage to put car away. Next day tried re-programming my car button using that remote (battery measures 12.34 volts). LED stopping flashing and turns solid. Stays like that until I gave up 30 seconds after. I've programmed Homelink systems many, many times and have no problem following the manual instructions for this step and then the learn step, but repeated tries with this button over the last week all fail. Any ideas what's wrong?
Possibilities range from a problem with your car, to a problem with your garage-door opener, to something else, like Radio Frequency Interference.

These sudden-onset problems like you are experiencing are usually caused by RFI or occasionally lightening induced failure of the garage door-opener receiver.

You should try working the RFI aspect first. Sorting the RFI possibility out scientifically would require a Radio Frequency Spectrum Analyzer (an expensive piece of instrumentation) but you can make a pretty good assessment other ways. Typically RFI acts to desensitize the the receiver in your garage-door opener which reduces its range. An example of that would be when the opener works fine with the handheld remote at close range, like standing under the opener, but will not work at the typical range of several hundred feet and depending on relative signal strengths will only operate reliably at a distance of a few feet or less. Be mindful while you are doing all this that it is possible to overheat the opener by too many operations in a short time.

So here's what you need to do first. Be sure you have the correct handheld remote that goes with you garage-door opener and that it has a fresh battery. Stand under the opener with the remote and determine if it will operate the door reliably. If the door operates reliably while standing under the opener, then start walking away from the door and try the remote opener at about 100' and about 200' for reliable operation. If the door operates reliably at a distance of 100' or greater then there was probably no RFI while you were doing your test.

If the handheld remote will not operate the door at close range, you have to consider that the remote and opener are not synchronized. Solving that is the usual learn process that you say you are familiar with. It might be a good idea to clear the opener's memory before you start this. If that doesn't solve the problem then you have to consider a very strong RFI source or that the opener receiver is damaged.

RFI sources range from defective fluorescent light fixtures, arcing power lines, defective electrical motors and interference from signals generated by the military and governmental agencies. If you have recently put a Compact Fluorescent bulb in your opener that would be a good place to start. Flickering fluorescent lights are always suspect.

If you determine that the handheld remote will work at a distance, then use it - be sure to use the one that you know will operator your opener from afar - to set up you car. Be sure to clear the car's HomeLink first. After you have the car set up with handheld remote - the car only learns the RF frequency in the setup process - then synchronize the the car and garage opener with the usual learn process, at a close range. Then move the car out to about 100' and see if it will open the door. If the car will not open the door then test the opener quickly with the handheld remote. If the handheld remote works and the car will not then you might suspect the car's HomeLink transmitter.

I'll give you an example of how subtle RFI problems can be. A few years ago I was leaving for work one morning and I backed my car out as usual and tried to close my garage door with the HomeLink and it would not work. So I walked back into the garage and closed the door with the wall switch. When I got home in the evening I tried to open my garage door with the HomeLInk and it worked perfectly even though I just knew that it was broke. I got out of my car and used the wall switch to close the door.

The next day, same thing - would not work in the morning but worked in the evening.

I have two motion-sensor operated fluorescent light fixtures on my garage ceiling. In the morning I walk into the garage, the lights come on and I use the wall switch, which is not susceptible to RFI to open the door. One the fluorescent fixtures had a defective bulb that flickered, a notorious RFI generator, and that would keep the HomeLink signal from my car from operating the opener to close the door. When I would come home in the evening there would be no motion in the garage so the fluorescent lights would be off and not generating RFI and the car's HomeLink would open the door as expected.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-30-15 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added clarification
Old 07-30-15, 01:16 PM
beepa02
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this; it's very helpful. But remember my problem is getting the Homelink light in the car to flash when I try to sync the remote with it before I do anything with the door opener. I already re-synced the remote, but it shouldn't matter what code is in it when I'm trying to sync it with the Homelink in the car. The button light turns to solid. That's what's driving me mad.

Quick Reply: Homelink - losing my mind