LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Warning: K&N Filters leaving excess oil on MAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 02:01 AM
VNTR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning: K&N Filters --update --bad starter??

Update on latest post. Seems to be bad starter. Probably will buy remanuf.

So i thought i'd tune up my car a bit and replace the filters with K&N yesterday.

Now, The car wont start and has a weird crank and reads CHECK VSC. Had to get it towed back. 2am.

I researched the issue and it seems to be common with K&N filters leaving excess oil on MAF and often just needs to be cleaned off.

I'm gonna grab some cleaner tomorrow once the store opens, and see if thats all it is...hopefully.

Just thought I'd share to see if any one had same issue here and to also warn future buyers. Google "K&N Check VSC" and you will see pages.

Last edited by VNTR; 07-15-14 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 04:16 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

How long have you been running you K&Ns? I've had mines on for about 2 years now and have had no issues. Whenever I clean them, I re-spray them and tap against something to get the excess off. This is good info thought and might have to look at my MAF.
Old 07-05-14, 04:25 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Very common problem. Just use an OEM filter and you won't have any issues.
Old 07-05-14, 04:41 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Surprised you didn't see the posts already here on clublexus.com if you searched...discussed plenty of times.
Old 07-05-14, 10:58 AM
VNTR
Rookie

Clean MAF, nothing. Engine has cranking sound. never heard anything like it.

2yr nissan mechanic buddy of mine said it's probably the throttle body and manifold that has too much grease and to just clean. any idea?

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Surprised you didn't see the posts already here on clublexus.com if you searched...discussed plenty of times.
unfortunately i've been distracted by the beautiful cars here and have only researched relative issues.

Thanks for the note. I'll be sure to know what to look for now.
Old 07-07-14, 05:09 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been running them now for over 6 months with no issues. . .
Old 07-07-14, 11:22 AM
DiamondX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&n

I have had a K&N on my 2002 since 800 miles (now 126,000) with no issues. I have also wiped the inside of the air passages downstream of the filter and found nothing.
Old 07-07-14, 12:30 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had mines for atleast 2 years nadda. Not saying thats not the problem either but too much oil will do it. Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Old 07-08-14, 03:53 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VNTR, perhaps you were oiling both sides of the filter and should just be oiling the front?? Or did you just put them right in out of the box?

i don't know, because i haven't had to oil them yet and shouldn't ever have to. . .
Old 07-08-14, 02:42 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
VNTR, perhaps you were oiling both sides of the filter and should just be oiling the front?? Or did you just put them right in out of the box?

i don't know, because i haven't had to oil them yet and shouldn't ever have to. . .
They do come over oiled sometimes from the factory. That's why it's a good idea to blow off the excess with compressed air, or tap the excess off. Some people also over oil them when cleaning/oil the filter with the recharge kit. Usually all you have to do is clean the maf sensor with a maf sensor specific cleaner. Would like an update from the original poster on what the cause and fix was.
Old 07-10-14, 09:29 PM
VNTR
Rookie

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

I DID NOT add any oil to the filter. It came pre oiled and my common sense thought it was a bit oily, though out of ignorance, I assumed a drop in filter wouldn't kill my engine out of the box.

Called lexus regarding valve recall and it was already replaced. It is not related to this issue I don't believe any more.

I've read a lot online about fuel pumps and injectors being clogged by the oil and it solved the issue after replacement.

Dumb question - how many fuel injectors do we have? Couldn't google it.

I'll have to post a video on youtube soon to show the crank sound.
Old 07-11-14, 02:05 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTR
Thanks a lot for your input guys.

I DID NOT add any oil to the filter. It came pre oiled and my common sense thought it was a bit oily, though out of ignorance, I assumed a drop in filter wouldn't kill my engine out of the box.

Called lexus regarding valve recall and it was already replaced. It is not related to this issue I don't believe any more.

I've read a lot online about fuel pumps and injectors being clogged by the oil and it solved the issue after replacement.

Dumb question - how many fuel injectors do we have? Couldn't google it.

I'll have to post a video on youtube soon to show the crank sound.
So all you did was install the k&n filters and your car started running bad? Did you forget to plug something back in? Have you cleaned the maf sensors with maf sensor cleaner and put the stock filters back in?
Old 07-15-14, 06:30 PM
VNTR
Rookie

I had a mechanic come check it out and he said it's more than likely that starter.

I youtube'd a gs300 bad starter and the sound was the same.

I've researched and it seems a few members have had to replace their starter as well.

I've very sure its the starter and am looking to replace it myself.

any tip or threads?