LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Another price check thread. Possiblyclose to picking up an '08

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 05:57 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Another price check thread. Possiblyclose to picking up an '08

Hi everyone,

I just looked an an SGM 08 SWB with comfort / NAV / Mark Levonson packages. The car has less than 35k miles and is a Lexus CPO. The interior is in decent condition with the biggest issues being cracked clear coat on the driver's side door wood inlay and the ashtray inlay. otherwise it's in pretty good condition. As for the exterior, it doesn't appear that the car has been in any accidents, but it does have a few scratches here and there from regular driving though maybe a little more than I'd like to see on a car with such low miles.

The car drives with no noticeable issues and the only other major things worth mentioning is that the hard cushion and the clicking brake actuator have not been fixed (though the dealer may be willing to get that taken care of.

So in your opinions, what would be a good deal / great deal / killer deal on something like this. Also, what do you think would be a good price for a CPO extension to 4, 5, or 6 years.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 07-13-14, 06:33 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Anybody? I might be looking at making the decision tomorrow, so any feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-14-14, 06:29 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would suggest averaging the price from KBB, Edmunds and NADA and then taking $2K off for the problems and issues you mentioned, start negotiating from there. If you will keep it long, add 3years to CPO for not more than $1500.
Old 07-14-14, 11:41 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I would suggest averaging the price from KBB, Edmunds and NADA and then taking $2K off for the problems and issues you mentioned, start negotiating from there. If you will keep it long, add 3years to CPO for not more than $1500.
All three of those seem to list relatively high prices. What I mean by that is that they are about the same as the listing prices that is being advertised on autotrader/cars.com
Old 07-14-14, 12:44 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
All three of those seem to list relatively high prices. What I mean by that is that they are about the same as the listing prices that is being advertised on autotrader/cars.com
Hmmm... Perhaps the fact that the prices shown on Autotrader.com pretty much are in line with the used car values shown on Edmunds and KBB means that the cars are priced correctly at this point, and that you probably won't be able to get a huge price concession on one of them...

"Relatively high prices" are in the eye of the beholder (and in the market forces/supply and demand which dictate selling prices). That's not to say that you won't be able to work a great deal -- especially if you find a car that has been sitting on a dealer's lot for 60 days or more -- but if you fall in love with a certain car, you may not be successful in offerring $thousands less than the KBB/Edmunds market value price...

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your shopping!
Old 07-14-14, 02:30 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would still take $2000 off the asking price and start the negotiation from there
Old 07-14-14, 02:43 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I would still take $2000 off the asking price and start the negotiation from there
Actually that's about where we are at right now with no haggling.
Old 07-14-14, 04:07 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If u like it buy it, it's worth whatever your willing to pay for it. Good luck. Nice color!!!!
Old 07-15-14, 06:53 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBlexus
If u like it buy it, it's worth whatever your willing to pay for it. Good luck. Nice color!!!!
One big issue keeping me away from jumping on this car is the lack of AWD. Living in Chicago, having that feature would certainly help as I don't really want to deal with a separate set of snow wheels/tires.
Old 07-15-14, 07:05 AM
riknchar
Instructor

One big issue keeping me away from jumping on this car is the lack of AWD. Living in Chicago, having that feature would certainly help as I don't really want to deal with a separate set of snow wheels/tires.
That makes good sense. I live in Omaha, and there's no way I would want to deal with the winters here with RWD only (although that's all I had as a kid growing up here in the 70s, and I survived). I do remember getting stuck on hills a LOT in the winter when I had old large RWD cars in my youth. At that time, I usually had a bunch of friends to jump out of my car and give me a push up the hill -- I don't think my friends would be so accommodating these days
Old 07-15-14, 08:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Different car, admittedly, but my son took my IS250 RWD to Chicago 3 years go and has had no problems with traction. With all season tires, modern traction control and a light right foot, together with the City's/State's snow removal experience, you should be OK.
Old 07-15-14, 10:55 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had no trouble during the winter. . .RWD in my '07
Old 07-15-14, 05:35 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One big issue keeping me away from jumping on this car is the lack of AWD.
I didn't think AWD came out until the 2009's
Old 07-15-14, 05:37 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I didn't think AWD came out until the 2009's
With the exception of the 600, you are correct. This is why I've decided to forgo this one. It's a nice car, but I feel that I will ultimately regret not getting the AWD.
Old 07-16-14, 06:15 AM
riknchar
Instructor

With the exception of the 600, you are correct. This is why I've decided to forgo this one. It's a nice car, but I feel that I will ultimately regret not getting the AWD.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision. I've learned from experience to never compromise on something I want in a car (even something I "think" I might want in a car...). I always end up regretting it, and I generally end up trading for the car I really wanted in the first place, which can get costly.

You'll find an AWD for a great price soon, I'm sure. Are you considering an LS600hL? For me, that's the car I really wanted, and I "compromised" with an LS460 (an amazing car in its own right, of course, but not a 600). I traded for an LS600 2 months later -- thank goodness my Lexus dealer was understanding and didn't gouge me too badly on the quick trade.

My LS600 is a joy to drive; I can't think of another car I'd rather have.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Another price check thread. Possiblyclose to picking up an '08