LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brand new to forum, advice puuulease

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 11:46 AM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new to forum, advice puuulease

Hi All:
Brand spanking new to the forum. Within the next 2 days I plan on trading in my 08 Bullitt Mustang for an 07 460L (I used to own a first gen LS 400, tho).

I have my choices narrowed down to 2 (both about 250 miles away, tho) so I need to choose wisely.

I would greatly appreciate anyone taking the time to look at these two links (I hope they work) and give me unvarnished advice on which you think is the better choice.

Thank you very, very much and I look forward to being an active part of the forum:

Vehicle 1:

https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Lex...GL46FX75011947

Vehicle 2:

https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Lex...GL46F675013906
Old 06-10-14, 12:12 PM
RodT
Pole Position

They both seem to be great cars and appear to be in good condition inside and out. The only thing that will make one greater than the other one is that if one has a poor service history or one has more options than the other one other than that they appear to be the exact same car just different exterior color. In addition,they are both one car owners but, i would still do a carfax report and also go to Lexus.com and register as an owner and type in the VINs to see the vehicle history reports of the dealership This allows you to see if there are any gaps in service history or not (this helped me when i purchased mine). Also, I read in the despcription that Vehicle #2 had power rear seats im not sure if Vehicle #1 did or not(it didnt say but ask the dealer for a picture of the rear console with the armrest down) this is just a plus for your rear passengers as well as you not having a block of wood in your rear center console. If they both have rear powered seats go with the one that has the less mileage and also the most important thing of all is to purchase and EXTENDED WARRANTY that covers as much as possible. That will save your wallet some if something was to go wrong. If everything checks out good with service history on both cars and they both have rear powered seats your only choose will be do you want a black or blue car. keep us posted on your decision
Old 06-10-14, 12:19 PM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Rod. Working on the rear seat info for #1 and will advise. Very exciting time. Thanks so much.
Old 06-10-14, 12:22 PM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

if it comes together, no doubt I'll also ask for some wheel/tire combo advice. I'm not big on hoops but it seems like some low profile rubber with graphite wheels would really add to the stance and presence. Thanks.
Old 06-10-14, 12:32 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

First,
Take both VIN#s and contact your local Lexus dealer or go by and get to know a service rep. Tell them you are buying one of these vehicles. They will give you the service history and help you make a sound decision based on the data they have. They will also give you ALL of the options on the car so you can make a better decision. They WILL help you if they think you will bring the car to them for service. Service reps get bonuses and commissions for the cars they service each month, it's to their benefit to gain your trust as a customer.

Both cars are 1 owners...good
Both have about the same mileage...good
Both are relatively the same price...good

The one in grapevine TX is 1000.00 more for 6,000 miles less on the ODO.

Austin car looks blue
Grapevine car looks black

Personally, I would go for the Black one because of the color.

HOWEVER, the pictures of the Blue one in Austin looks really clean.

Tough decision for you...either way, this will be a great car!
Old 06-10-14, 12:34 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must say the black car with 64K+ miles appears to have far more front end "road rash" and/or wear. The headlights and fogs are very cloudy, and the pictures do not show a close-up of the bumper to see what kind of shape it's in. . .
Old 06-10-14, 01:05 PM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RodT
They both seem to be great cars and appear to be in good condition inside and out. The only thing that will make one greater than the other one is that if one has a poor service history or one has more options than the other one other than that they appear to be the exact same car just different exterior color. In addition,they are both one car owners but, i would still do a carfax report and also go to Lexus.com and register as an owner and type in the VINs to see the vehicle history reports of the dealership This allows you to see if there are any gaps in service history or not (this helped me when i purchased mine). Also, I read in the despcription that Vehicle #2 had power rear seats im not sure if Vehicle #1 did or not(it didnt say but ask the dealer for a picture of the rear console with the armrest down) this is just a plus for your rear passengers as well as you not having a block of wood in your rear center console. If they both have rear powered seats go with the one that has the less mileage and also the most important thing of all is to purchase and EXTENDED WARRANTY that covers as much as possible. That will save your wallet some if something was to go wrong. If everything checks out good with service history on both cars and they both have rear powered seats your only choose will be do you want a black or blue car. keep us posted on your decision
here's the veh 1 console pic. Is this the good one to have? thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Brand new to forum, advice puuulease-veh1console.jpg  
Old 06-10-14, 01:10 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

A word of caution. Texas appears to be a state where title "washed" cars show up (no idea why) and are advertised on the internet. So, cars with salvage titles (eg hail damage, flood damage) miraculously appear with a clean title (no idea how). Most of these cars are advertised out of state, offering the sellers "distance protection" against repercussions. The carfax buyback warranty only applies if carfax missed something that is on record at a title agency (an almost impossibility as they have open access to all car titles). Also note in the ads:

"Features and options are descriptive of what can be expected on the vehicle. Actual options should be verified by the customer and dealer."

You might want to do some extra diligence if you go after either car. There are CPO 2007 cars at Lexus dealerships now for only a couple of thousand more and you get a CPO warranty with these.

Food for thought.

Last edited by sktn77a; 06-10-14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 01:11 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

That is very basic, although not the lowest package.

This arrangement only offers heated seats, not the heated/vent temp/cooled/seats. . .
Old 06-10-14, 01:27 PM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

thanks so much. Extremely helpful. Advice, contact or link information to a good extended warranty program? Thanks again.
Old 06-10-14, 01:31 PM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
A word of caution. Texas appears to be a state where title "washed" cars show up (no idea why) and are advertised on the internet. So, cars with salvage titles (eg hail damage, flood damage) miraculously appear with a clean title (no idea how). Most of these cars are advertised out of state, offering the sellers "distance protection" against repercussions. The carfax buyback warranty only applies if carfax missed something that is on record at a title agency (an almost impossibility as they have open access to all car titles). Also note in the ads:

"Features and options are descriptive of what can be expected on the vehicle. Actual options should be verified by the customer and dealer."

You might want to do some extra diligence if you go after either car. There are CPO 2007 cars at Lexus dealerships now for only a couple of thousand more and you get a CPO warranty with these.

Food for thought.
Thanks Keith. Looks like at least one of them has full service history at the same dealership in Texas. Makes me feel somewhat better.
Old 06-10-14, 01:38 PM
byronchild
Driver School Candidate

Left and RH headlights from Car #1. Would this make you lean towards it rather than veh 2?
Attached Thumbnails Brand new to forum, advice puuulease-lheadlight-.jpg   Brand new to forum, advice puuulease-rheadlight.jpg  
Old 06-10-14, 01:42 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a big reply but the forums took a dump. Arggh In short here it is again

Adaptive cruise...Get it. You will regret not getting it.
Mark Levinson...Get it
Check out the wheels. Look around the center caps for paint flaking. Make them fix it beforehand
Check to see if the glove box lines up. If it is sagging, or appears that the lines of the box or leather don't line up, make them fix it.
Try every single switch and button and make sure they work.
Old 06-10-14, 01:45 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep looking for a used car that is a certified pre-owned from a Lexus dealership plus an extended warranty. You may have to travel a little further, and pay a little more, but it's well worth it especially after the newness of the car wears off and you realize something is wrong with the factory airride suspension or the front upper and lower control arms need replaced.
I am not familiar with other warranty programs not offered from the dealership. The extra I paid for my certified pre owned LS460 has more than paid for itself (new control arms).
Old 06-10-14, 01:49 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Totally agree with is150!

I drove 300 miles to Chicago for my car that was they way i wanted it, and my Platinum warranty has save my @$$ big time!

Quick Reply: Brand new to forum, advice puuulease