LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Choices for Brakes

Old 08-21-14, 08:18 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pmiller

It's been 2 weeks or so and all is good.
You're six more weeks in by now (Aug 21). How're the brakes? I'm fed up with the shudder on mine (2013 LS460) and, since I'll be getting new tires next week, figure I'll have them put on new rotors and pads at the same time. Thanks for any update on your project.
Old 08-22-14, 04:07 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All is good. Everything feels great with the new tires. The shuddering was the brakes. Get ceramic brakes. I recommend Michelin tires.
Old 08-22-14, 04:08 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
Great! I just replaced the front and rear pads along with re-surfacing the rotors last Sat, the Akebono pads defiantly/perform are better than the OEM ones and love the minimum to almost no dust build up.
Why resurface when you can replace discs for less? Just curious. Akebono pads are awesome.
Old 08-22-14, 05:21 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

All is good. Everything feels great with the new tires. The shuddering was the brakes. Get ceramic brakes. I recommend Michelin tires.
Thanks, pal. Michelin it is for tires (AT WALMART!!!)
Old 08-25-14, 07:13 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Why resurface when you can replace discs for less? Just curious. Akebono pads are awesome.
Do you recall which Centric rotors you bought? Plain Jane or Premium? Non-directional vanes or directional (Left- and Right-Handed)? Did you reuse clips or buy a replacement kit? Thanks for any info.
Old 08-26-14, 02:07 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Can't say enough good things about Akebono ceramic pads!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+change
I'm right there with you on that one Tee!

In my opinion, these pads are the best of All worlds! They work better, they dust less and they last longer than ANY pad that I've had on our cars! You can't beat that!
Old 08-27-14, 06:38 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by williakz
Do you recall which Centric rotors you bought? Plain Jane or Premium? Non-directional vanes or directional (Left- and Right-Handed)? Did you reuse clips or buy a replacement kit? Thanks for any info.
Plain rotors. Reused the caliper clips, springs, etc. New pads came with new shims. I don't recall there being a R or L. Front and back are different in my LS for both rotors and pads. I think that answers your questions.
Old 08-27-14, 07:07 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Certainly does. Thank you for all. I'll be sure to let you know my experience.

I intend to take the warped Lexus rotors to my local dealership and demand they be turned under warranty. I will then oil and store the "trued" rotor set along with the Lexus pads (38k miles on them) for reinstallation prior to eventual sale/trade-in of the car. Sound like a plan?
Old 08-28-14, 08:12 AM
followthep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Akebono as Tee and CJitty suggested and will not go back to any other brakes from this point forward. I also went with the Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors as well. I hope some people get a chance to get the Akebono's. I went to Pep Boy's and had everything replace with my part from a "A Place for Brakes and Rock Auto " for about $350 shipped then another $150 install from Pep Boy's and they work perfectly...low dust and great stopping power...just my 2 cents...Enjoy!!
Old 08-29-14, 09:12 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I packed up my spiffy new Centric rotors and Akebono pads and hied over to my local PepBoys for them to pull the Lexus pads and rotors and put on the new ones. I was able to negotiate a great price for the work and thought I was all set. Then the guy asks me why I'm changing everything on a car with only 38k miles. I explain about the current shudder and my previous experience with the multiple resurfacing/replacement rotors on my 2007 LS. He says, tell you what. We got a fancy on-car lathe and we'll inspect the Lexus rotors to see if they're thick enough to resurface. If so, we'll cut them to perfect using the Pro-Cut PMF 9.2 gizmo and if the pads are OK, we'll leave them on as well. And, since we're not busy today, how about we do the whole thing for $40 an axle?

So, I'm now running on a freshly cut set of Lexus rotors with plenty left on the original pads. I'm keeping the Akebonos to go on when the Lexus pads eventually wear down, but the Centric rotors are on their way back for refund. I also intend to visit my Lexus dealer's service shop and see exactly how they REALLY resurface rotors.

By the way, one of the PepBoys guys told me that when he went to a training session on using the Pro-Cut machine, a corporate suit said that they had just put in an order for 400 of the units (at $11k a pop). Another PB tech who used to work with Honda mentioned that Honda had recently put out a bulletin directing dealers that ONLY on-car disc lathes were to be used on Honda vehicles. I've got a call into my Acura dealer to see if this is true. All these dribs and drabs of info confirm my notion that the first time you LEARN so the second time you KNOW. I'm still learning...
Old 08-29-14, 10:08 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I'm keeping the Akebonos to go on when the Lexus pads eventually wear down, ...
The Akebono pads are sooooo dust free you should have just had them put them on. I used their ceramic pads when I had to replace my pads on the LS. Once I saw how well they performed, I ordered a set for my wife's Jag. I don't even know how much pad she had left and didn't care. Her pads caused so much dust that two days after I washed her car you would think I didn't touch the wheels they were so dirty. Now her wheels are the cleanest thing on the car!

BTW who did the work on your car, Manny, Moe or Jack!
Old 08-29-14, 04:23 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Dust isn't really much of an issue with my LS. I wash it once a week, so it doesn't really have much of a chance to collect. My kids' cars seem to produce a ton more brake dust than mine under normal operating conditions (Hyundai, Acura, BMW). I really don't get all the complaints about Lexus pads. Rotors, yes. Pads, no.

I was really impressed by the competence and professionalism of the PepBoys crew that dealt with my car at TWO different locations. Both of them were snowed under with work but still managed to deliver over and above what I expected at a price MUCH less than I ever imagined they would accept. Not too shabby!

Last edited by williakz; 08-29-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 11:13 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update on my resurfaced front Lexus rotors and front Akebono ceramic pads...after 21k miles the rotors warped again. Pads were still in great condition and looked like they still had more than 70% pad left.

I decided to start with new Bendix Front Rotors PRT5929 @ Ebay AutoParts Tomorrow ($59.42 for the pair) and a new set of Akebono Front Brake Pads ACT1282 @ PlaceForBrakes.com ($59.90). Let's see how well this setup works.

I don't understand how resurfacing the bad Lexus rotors with the Pro-Cut PMF 9.2 gizmo at Pep Boys will make a difference in preventing warping in the metal. If the metal in the rotor is prone to warping, why does resurfacing make a difference?

Also, I thought that it was a bad idea to leave old brake pads on new or resurfaced rotors because of the wear pattern on the brake pads doesn't match the new surface on the rotors. So, I was under the impression that it's always better to put new brake pads with new/resurfaced rotors.
Old 06-02-15, 06:48 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Same Question on Rotors

I am about 1,000 miles away from doing the brakes all the way around. I have all the new parts ready except the rotors. In as much as I only will have 45, 000 miles on the car I was just going to have Lexus turn the OEM rotors. Are the OEM rotors on the LS not worth turning at least once? I do not want to start over in 21,000 miles as LexusManny did.

Dennis