LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 08:26 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
Wish I would have taken a picture of it folded before I applied the 3m silicone. But it's the vertical seal seen here of the front door. Still sort of see the crease. If it's folded some of the seal will be folded under the window, usually towards the top. Applying the silicone fixed my folded seal and cured my wind noise 100%.
I took a pic of mine it has gotten worse! As you can see the red arrows show the length of the fold when the window pushes back against the seal causing it to fold and its like the seal has a memory to fold over like that every time. The green arrows shows how the seal should look all the way to the top corner of the glass. When I bump the window down it was helping but now that the fold is mad long wind noise still generated. I will be applying the silicone paste today and I hope to save some money not buying the new seal/labor if this works like it did for is150.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows-ls460-folding-window-seal.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ALK (05-14-21)
Old 06-16-14, 11:13 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Wow, that's truly weird - never seen that before on the vertical seals. I can see how that would cause wind howl, Thankfully mine are as they should be (still have wind noise, but not from that particular issue).
Old 06-16-14, 11:53 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

To my earlier point, cover the door seams with Masking Tape and see if the noise stops and WHERE it is originating from.

This will truly pinpoint down to the inch where your noise is coming from.
Old 06-16-14, 12:08 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I took a pic of mine it has gotten worse! As you can see the red arrows show the length of the fold when the window pushes back against the seal causing it to fold and its like the seal has a memory to fold over like that every time. The green arrows shows how the seal should look all the way to the top corner of the glass. When I bump the window down it was helping but now that the fold is mad long wind noise still generated. I will be applying the silicone paste today and I hope to save some money not buying the new seal/labor if this works like it did for is150.
Mine wasn't nearly that long, maybe 3 inches or so. Let us know how it works for you.
Old 06-16-14, 12:17 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by is150
Mine wasn't nearly that long, maybe 3 inches or so. Let us know how it works for you.
The NAPA store near me had to order it and will have it there after 4pm today for P/U, I will post up my results tonight and thanks to jbrittmart for the suggestion to try this.
Old 06-16-14, 01:00 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Do any of you with the wind noise problem have 3M bug protection film installed? We had a new
2012 LS get the film and the tech installed the rear view mirrors housing piece about 1/2 an inch
too far inboard. Not kidding, 1/2 inch... the car whistled unbelievably loud. Seems that the vortex
created between the mirror and window/window track changed with just that minor thickness film.
We took it off (after lots of other attempts) and then reinstalled it without the edge so far inboard.
Never overlook the obvious...
Old 06-17-14, 06:02 PM
Tee

I have to say the 3M silicone paste worked!! As you can see it rejuvenated the rubber seal and it is functioning as designed, I went ahead and did the other three window seals as well. This jewel of fix just saved me time and money!
Attached Thumbnails 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows-image-177809319.jpg   2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows-image-666637142.jpg  

Last edited by Tee; 06-17-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 06:33 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tee
The NAPA store near me had to order it and will have it there after 4pm today for P/U, I will post up my results tonight and thanks to jbrittmart for the suggestion to try this.
Originally Posted by Tee
I have to say the 3M silicone paste worked!! As you can see it rejuvenated the rubber seal and it is functioning as designed, I went ahead and did the other three window seals as well. This jewel of fix just saved me time and money!
Definitely glad it worked for you as well! It just came to me one summer when I was cleaning my scuba gear after a dive. This place has provided lots of knowledge to me presently and in the past so I'm glad I could pass on a good tip. I do all my windows every few months and it's also great for any other rubber that has gotten dry and brittle.

How's the wind noise for you now? Any reduction?
Old 06-17-14, 06:59 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
Definitely glad it worked for you as well! It just came to me one summer when I was cleaning my scuba gear after a dive. This place has provided lots of knowledge to me presently and in the past so I'm glad I could pass on a good tip. I do all my windows every few months and it's also great for any other rubber that has gotten dry and brittle. How's the wind noise for you now? Any reduction?
This product is defiantly a nice find, I will add this tip to the FAQ Sticky and thx for paying it forward. Far as the wind noise the car is quiet now with the seal is not folding over, I still have to bump the window b/c I held off on doing the "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix" due to having to buy a new seal. I will do that this weekend, funny thing on my SWB the seal did not fold in like that but the JMcRaney Fix did solve the wind noise issue.
Old 06-17-14, 07:06 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tee
This product is defiantly a nice find, I will add this tip to the FAQ Sticky and thx for paying it forward. Far as the wind noise the car is quiet now with the seal is not folding over, I still have to bump the window b/c I held off on doing the "JMcRaney Wind Noise Fix" due to having to buy a new seal. I will do that this weekend, funny thing on my SWB the seal did not fold in like that but the JMcRaney Fix did solve the wind noise issue.
FAQ worthy!
Boom goes the dynamite.

One last thing I'll add... though it's probably pretty obvious to do... after I apply, the first could times I roll the window down and then up I find it's helps to grab it on either side and help it as it's going up so that it fully seats up and back into the gasket...kinda stretches it out to where it should be and gets some grease allll the way up in there.
Old 06-17-14, 07:44 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just because I am in Australia and never heard of anyone having window seal issues with the tracks could someone enlighten me as to wether this a problem encountered in cold climates perhaps ?
Many thanks David
Old 06-18-14, 06:22 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Good to hear that it worked for you Tee. I also applied the silicone to the vertical window seal at the front of the window by the side view mirror.
Old 06-19-14, 05:46 PM
Rhaines
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the left side(drivers door)new triangle piece from Sewell for about $20. Installed it over the McRaney fix and honestly can't tell the difference. For sure, the car certainly doesn't drive differently.
Old 06-19-14, 05:51 PM
Rhaines
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this. Bought the grease from Amazon as per someone's suggestion. Started applying the silicone with a q-tip in the groove and stopped after testing putting the window down and up. What a mess! I think this may help if you never lower the windows. But if you do there will be a smeared mess that extends down about a half inch along the window edge.
I am all ears with anything that will help the occasionally noise. And I say occasional because sometime I have it and sometimes don't. So weird.
Old 06-19-14, 09:37 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rhaines
I just did this. Bought the grease from Amazon as per someone's suggestion. Started applying the silicone with a q-tip in the groove and stopped after testing putting the window down and up. What a mess! I think this may help if you never lower the windows. But if you do there will be a smeared mess that extends down about a half inch along the window edge.
I am all ears with anything that will help the occasionally noise. And I say occasional because sometime I have it and sometimes don't. So weird.
I used the applicator that came in the 3m can to apply it. I can say that you are right, it does make a mess after you first apply it. I wiped off the excess then ran the window up and down a couple times. I did this a few more times till I no longer had the silicone on the visible part of the glass.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows