LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 03:38 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Complete fix

Originally Posted by swatsley
I have a 2008 LS460L and the front driver's and passenger's windows have wind noise, sometimes worse than others. I also drove a 2007 which experienced the same problem. thankfully it is still under warranty, but not sure if there is anything which can be done. not sure how a car with doubled paned windows can have so much wind noise.

anyone have the same issue?
It's really simple.. Go buy the current model LS finned triangle beside the side mirror .. (Your is flat the new one has a fin on it )
$100 in Aust but way cheaper in the USA . Pull the old ones off ... They come off using your fingers and stick the new ones on . You don't need silicon or metal
Bits underneath as per the McCranney fix which is now superfluous .
Noise is gone almost entirely totally transforms the car back to what it should have been . Please let me know if you think yours steers way better too as that's what it's supposed to do ( I know it sounds crazy but it does I swear
Next change your tyres to Michelin primacy 3 st and you won't believe what they do to the noise reduction too good luck
Old 06-06-14, 04:00 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pingyy
hey Tee.. did you get a price quote to install??
Not yet, I will post it when I do.
Old 06-07-14, 04:19 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Does it leave a gunky residue on the window?
nope, and if you happen to get excess on the window you can just wipe it off.

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
Inside the track? Sides and top? In the groove where the window slides?
Thanks,
I apply it along the top edge of the window, inside the track, and then especially in the corner by the mirror along the rubber pieces the window slide into and the same for the top corner. Then run the window up and down a few times and wipe off any excess.
Old 06-09-14, 06:27 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by david mack
It's really simple.. Go buy the current model LS finned triangle beside the side mirror .. (Your is flat the new one has a fin on it )
$100 in Aust but way cheaper in the USA . Pull the old ones off ... They come off using your fingers and stick the new ones on . You don't need silicon or metal
Bits underneath as per the McCranney fix which is now superfluous .
Noise is gone almost entirely totally transforms the car back to what it should have been . Please let me know if you think yours steers way better too as that's what it's supposed to do ( I know it sounds crazy but it does I swear
Next change your tyres to Michelin primacy 3 st and you won't believe what they do to the noise reduction too good luck
Has anyone tried to simply replace the front window plastic triangles with the newer version as David suggests here? Sounds relatively inexpensive and simple to do in the driveway. Any others have success using this option?
Old 06-09-14, 08:11 AM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Has anyone tried to simply replace the front window plastic triangles with the newer version as David suggests here? Sounds relatively inexpensive and simple to do in the driveway. Any others have success using this option?
Yes there is a posting here about that. Some have reported success while others reported no change
Old 06-09-14, 11:33 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
I found a weird fix that ended my wind noise.

Silicone grease.... you can find it online or at any dive shop.

Used a Q tip to apply it in the window track and now the window closes and seals perfectly.
So I am willing to try this. You mean to tell us that you have no noticeable wind noise? No cross wind noise at highway speeds, etc?
Old 06-09-14, 12:55 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am one of the ones who have done both the jmcraney fix and the updated triangles, and i haven't really noticed anything fantastic maybe a 50% decrease in noise but unfortunately still noticeable to my sensitive ears and after owning a silent LS430.
Old 06-09-14, 12:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
I haven't really noticed anything fantastic maybe a 50% decrease in noise.
Well, 50% takes it from being totally unacceptable to just plain annoying!
Old 06-09-14, 01:38 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe mine just doesn't make the wind noise or I don't know what I should be looking/listening for.

I may just put the new wing things on just to see. If it gets quieter, then I will be even happier with it. They're only 34.00 for a pair at Sewell, sometimes you just have to say..."what the heck?"

And am I just assuming something or did someone actually say it helps steering at highway speeds? Hard to believe two very small plastic pieces can help steering...again, "what the heck?"
Old 06-09-14, 01:47 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2011 LS460 had no wind noise that I could detect, so the problem may not affect 100% of the cars (especially post-2010).

My new (to me) 2008 LS600hL seems to have the problem mostly on the passenger side. I normally have the stereo cranked when I drive by myself, but when I had a friend in my car yesterday he definitely noticed and tried rolling the window up and down a couple times to get rid of the noise on his side (didn't work). I'm still trying to decide if it's annoying enough to bother trying to fix...
Old 06-09-14, 02:02 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Maybe mine just doesn't make the wind noise or I don't know what I should be looking/listening for.

I may just put the new wing things on just to see. If it gets quieter, then I will be even happier with it. They're only 34.00 for a pair at Sewell, sometimes you just have to say..."what the heck?"

And am I just assuming something or did someone actually say it helps steering at highway speeds? Hard to believe two very small plastic pieces can help steering...again, "what the heck?"
If you ain't noticing the noise, leave it alone!!! You could easily make it worse. If you had wind noise, you would know
Old 06-10-14, 03:24 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
So I am willing to try this. You mean to tell us that you have no noticeable wind noise? No cross wind noise at highway speeds, etc?
The silicone did well to renew the life of the rubber the window slides into. Mine had gotten stretched out of place and warped some because it had dried out. That's what it's designed to do on scuba gear...keep the rubber pliable. It also lubricated the tracks which allowed the window to fully seat up into the gasket (which it wasn't before). I find it's good to reapply the silicone every few months or so... it only takes a couple minutes so I usually do it after a washing.

But yeah, once I cleaned out the window track really well (mine had gotten pretty filthy) and then applied the grease in the track on the rubber pieces and the edge of the window... my car is like a vault. Like I said, I'll notice after a few months sometimes that I get some noise back... but when I reapply and the window slides slick and true it seats fully in the gasket and bingo... silence.
Old 06-10-14, 03:50 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Default Put them on

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If you ain't noticing the noise, leave it alone!!! You could easily make it worse. If you had wind noise, you would know
You will notice a huge difference the noise is mostly from the passenger side for some reason . You can be assured that Lexus fits them to the current model LS ( and all Lexus models now too) for a very good reason .. They work and not just for the wind noise .
Old 06-10-14, 03:54 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Default Older owners

My 2011 LS460 had no wind noise that I could detect, so the problem may not affect 100% of the cars (especially post-2010).

My new (to me) 2008 LS600hL seems to have the problem mostly on the passenger side. I normally have the stereo cranked when I drive by myself, but when I had a friend in my car yesterday he definitely noticed and tried rolling the window up and down a couple times to get rid of the noise on his side (didn't work). I'm still trying to decide if it's annoying enough to bother trying to fix...
I do have a friend with an identical LS who is 78 and swears his makes no wind noise ... I and everyone else can hear it in his car the same as mine used to mostly on the passenger side ... Might be a hearing issue for some which may be a blessing in some ways ! Lol
Old 06-10-14, 04:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

its covered as a TSIB but I dont see how you still have original factory warranty after 6 years

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows