Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hl Battery does not fully charge

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 01:00 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same with any hybrid yo pretty much do gown hill for very long breaking down,
Old 07-06-14, 08:27 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a related question. How much variation in charge level are other LS600 ownere experiencing while driving? My 2008 seems to very quickly go from fully charged (one bar short of the top), to fairly discharged (only a couple of bars showing). This may be normal, as the batteries are used to switch to pure battery mode while driving slowly or to augment accelleration at times. I'm just aware that my batteries are 6 years old and, while no one has reported battery failure on a 600 yet, I want to make sure to report any problems before the 8 year warranty is up. My thought is that if some of the individual cells failed, the car would exhibit this sort of behavior (quickly discharging).

So does your battery level roam from high to low and back again frequently while driving in town?
Old 07-06-14, 01:02 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine goes from almost full to purple fairly quickly, especially right now when I am running the AC, seat coolers (2-3), radio, 6 yr old watching a DVD in the back seat, DRL's. Everything you have turned in will drain that battery.

However, it will charge pretty quickly once you drive and/or coast down a long hill.

I think what you are seeing is somewhat normal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-08-14, 01:41 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Mine goes from almost full to purple fairly quickly, especially right now when I am running the AC, seat coolers (2-3), radio, 6 yr old watching a DVD in the back seat, DRL's. Everything you have turned in will drain that battery.

However, it will charge pretty quickly once you drive and/or coast down a long hill.

I think what you are seeing is somewhat normal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
When I was in for service the Lexus Techs mentioned it was normal. I also asked them if it is normal for the hybrids to need a jump while doing alignments, they said it does happen often..and not just hybrids. I also asked if it was normal for the traction (hybrid battery) to get low enough during an automated car wash with the car on and in neutral.. They said yes as well. The hybrid system does not charge while the car is in neutral. So if you are going through a long car wash and your charge level is already low at two or three bars and you have the AC, NAV and Radio on..if your headlights are on whether DRL or in AutoMode..it will discharge even faster.