LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Traded my 430 and picked up a 460L

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 02:01 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Bushings/control arms are covered under the CPO warranty. I don't think it's uncommon for dealerships to certify the car, knowing there is work that needs to be done but that way Lexus picks up the tab instead of the dealership. Don't get unpleasant with them, just get all the front control arms replaced, to meet the PA inspection requirements, and be thankful you have the CPO. Take the next major service offer - its a $1200 service (60k) and you don't want to foot that bill. At the price you paid, you're still way ahead of the game!

Old 03-23-15, 06:34 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a follow up on the car. Have owned it since 6/14 and it now sits with 77K miles. Put about 27K on the car in less than a year. Two weeks ago the ABS/Traction/VSC code flashed. I figured a wheel speed sensor so I took her in for service. I also heard a slight clicking and wanted them to check it out.
Turns out it was a speed sensor. And it needed more suspension work... While the car was there the tech noticed that it was leaning a bit lower on the passengers side. He decided to replace the front drivers strut. They had the car for 10 days...
End result was a new speed sensor, wheel hub and bearing, front strut, and it looks like the some bushings in the control arms... Keep in mind that I had all control arms replaced at 53K miles.
They also did a fuel system recall and hit me for a fuel throttle body cleaning ($80 out of pocket). I asked them to change the oil. They said "no charge as we owe you an oil change for CPO" I said PLEASE put synthetic oil in her. I will pay the difference. The said "sure". Of course when I picked up there was no charge for the oil upgrade. I asked about it and they said "uhh.. we put synthetic in see" and pointed to the line item on the invoice that stated "synthetic blend oil"......Really?

Just to summarize:

Bought the car in May of 14' with 50K miles CPO in NJ
Took the car to PA and needed to get it inspected for PA. During inspection the shop noticed that it needed all new control arm bushings. I took it to a Lexus dealer who asked me how a dealer sold me this car with this issue?? They did a nice job on the car to the tune of $5K in warranty repairs.

Two months ago I hear a loud clicking noise... Take her in and it's the brake actuator $2000 repair covered under warranty.

Two weeks ago more issues.. take her in and $3000 worth of warranty work....

Wow.. I know that they are not billing the warranty company these actual figures but it's hard to imagine a car needing this much work. I don't drive it hard. My last LS (02' lasted years without any major work).

I may need to go back to the 430
Old 03-23-15, 08:28 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Well, looking on the bright side, it seems you have all the problem areas fixed. Plus it was all covered.

Sorry to hear you had all those problems, but you should be good to go now.
Old 03-24-15, 07:46 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks BT3100 for the update. Sorry to hear about all the issues you have on this car. Good part is, all covered by CPO and you got new 'components' .

Just curious, why would control arm be replaced second time?. Did they forgot to use revised part when they fixed at first time?.
Old 03-24-15, 07:59 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Very fortunate for your CPO. Sounds like you are having everything done and the car is in tip top shape. It's good to have it tested and checked out as long as the warranty provides! Enjoy.
Old 03-24-15, 03:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think you are going to love that car. Congratulations.

I have found them to be reliable and just a great car to own.
Old 03-25-15, 08:20 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Today I was driving up the NJ turnpike to NY and at ext 11 the "check tire pressure system" light flashed.
I will never bash these cars. I've owned a 94' LS, an 00' LS an 02' LS and now this 08' LS.
They are GREAT cars.. not good, but GREAT cars. The car I now have, has issues. To need $10K worth of repairs in less than a year is unacceptable.
I just reread this thread and I am appalled to read someone stating that Lexus dealers would certify a car that they knew needed repairs.
What the hell is that?
Certified means it's in excellent condition and ready to go. Not ready to be serviced by the poor sucker who bought her. I worked in the auto repair industry for 18 years. I would have never bought a used car for $30K that I needed to crawl under to insure that the bushings weren't rotted. Some people on here are brainwashed by the logo on the hood. Demand excellence not mediocrity.
That speaks volumes for the certification process.

Last edited by BT3100; 03-25-15 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 06:50 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. Same colour as mine. I've always loved those alloys......one day
Old 03-26-15, 12:33 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful LS you purchase. Sorry to hear about some of the issues you are facing but there are lemons out there. But in general the LS is an outstanding automobile.
Old 03-26-15, 07:18 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100

I may need to go back to the 430
Don't rule it out.

One of the happiest automotive days in my life was the day I looked in my rear view mirror at my pos 2010 LS460L as I drove away from the Lexus dealership in my new used 04 LS430. Haven't regretted it for even one second.
Old 03-26-15, 09:18 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Today I was driving up the NJ turnpike to NY and at ext 11 the "check tire pressure system" light flashed.
So, did you actually have a tire pressure problem?

Good luck with the car!
Old 03-27-15, 07:31 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will never bash these cars. I've owned a 94' LS, an 00' LS an 02' LS and now this 08' LS.
They are GREAT cars.. not good, but GREAT cars. The car I now have, has issues. To need $10K worth of repairs in less than a year is unacceptable.
I just reread this thread and I am appalled to read someone stating that Lexus dealers would certify a car that they knew needed repairs.
What the hell is that?
Certified means it's in excellent condition and ready to go. Not ready to be serviced by the poor sucker who bought her. I worked in the auto repair industry for 18 years. I would have never bought a used car for $30K that I needed to crawl under to insure that the bushings weren't rotted. Some people on here are brainwashed by the logo on the hood. Demand excellence not mediocrity.
That speaks volumes for the certification process
Exactly!!!! U took the words right out of my mouth.
Also the only peace of mind a CPO offers is the warranty. The rest is just CPO-hype.
Old 03-27-15, 09:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Soooo........it was doing it's job?? When mine went off, I had a chicken bone (YES you read that right), in my tire, causing a slow leak.
Old 03-27-15, 12:45 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Soooo........it was doing it's job?? When mine went off, I had a chicken bone (YES you read that right), in my tire, causing a slow leak.
A chicken bone, oh my!

I suspect his problem might be a sensor losing communication (from a dead sensor battery) or some other TPMS issue, given the "Check TPMS" warning as opposed to a "Low Pressure" message. Very intrigued...
Old 03-27-15, 08:33 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

The next day I started the car and no sensor. I toggled through and the pressure in all tires was fine.
I was scheduled to replace the tires and did so and no more issues.
Hope it was just a communication issue between the pressure sensors and the ecu.
With the recent repairs and new tires hoping that the car will deliver long term trouble free miles.
Love the brand and the car. Just want it to perform!

Quick Reply: Traded my 430 and picked up a 460L