LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Traded my 430 and picked up a 460L

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 08:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
Today I was driving up the NJ turnpike to NY and at ext 11 the "check tire pressure system" light flashed.
I will never bash these cars. I've owned a 94' LS, an 00' LS an 02' LS and now this 08' LS.
They are GREAT cars.. not good, but GREAT cars. The car I now have, has issues. To need $10K worth of repairs in less than a year is unacceptable.
I just reread this thread and I am appalled to read someone stating that Lexus dealers would certify a car that they knew needed repairs.
What the hell is that?
Certified means it's in excellent condition and ready to go. Not ready to be serviced by the poor sucker who bought her. I worked in the auto repair industry for 18 years. I would have never bought a used car for $30K that I needed to crawl under to insure that the bushings weren't rotted. Some people on here are brainwashed by the logo on the hood. Demand excellence not mediocrity.
That speaks volumes for the certification process.
It really is a shame you spent that much on repairs in one year, I would say a large part of that problem is the dealer you took it to. Taking these things to a dealer is very expensive. I imagine most of the problems you had were with the control arm bushing failure...which if repaired by the dealer is ridiculous in cost. Independent shops do it for a fraction of the price.

I own the "dreaded" 07 LS 460...the one everyone is afraid of. One year and twenty five thousand miles later, and I haven't spent one dime on repairs. Not a dime. I realize some day I'll have to replace the control arms, but I'll buy them on eBay for four hundred bucks and put them in myself. And maybe the brake actuator will go, but I'll buy another one for $500 off eBay. If this is all I have to worry about, I'm more than fine with that.

I owned a Honda Accord - it might be one of the best cars ever built - yet still I had to fix things...control arms, ball joints, tie rods (over and over), brake calipers (4 times), struts, control arms again, engine mounts (three times), evap solenoid/canister (twice), gas tank (now that one was a lot of fun, over a thousand bucks if I hadn't of repaired it myself), timing belt (twice), water pump (twice)...just that service alone is 500-700 bucks, oil pan gasket, vtec solenoid, o2 sensors, three mufflers, axles, valve adjustments, sway bar links and bushings once a year (those cars just eat them). And if you make it through all that "unscathed", you'll be one of the unlucky ones in the class action suite against Honda for transmission failure, to the tune of $4,000 - of course you can buy a used one off some guy named Josue, and it comes with a free pair of kidneys And surprising my interior fell apart - *****, switches - just broke way too soon. Had to replace quite of few brake hoses as well. And the worst part was I had to drive with a shimmy between 50-60 mph for over 100k miles...couldn't figure it out...replaced rims, tires, axles...nothing fixed it. I figured it must have been something in the transaxle, and I wasn't going there. Recently I had to replace the EGR valve, and transmission 2 to 3rd pressure switch (that's another thing that goes on these things like hot cakes).
Old 03-28-15, 08:19 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
It really is a shame you spent that much on repairs in one year, I would say a large part of that problem is the dealer you took it to. Taking these things to a dealer is very expensive. I imagine most of the problems you had were with the control arm bushing failure...which if repaired by the dealer is ridiculous in cost. Independent shops do it for a fraction of the price.

I own the "dreaded" 07 LS 460...the one everyone is afraid of. One year and twenty five thousand miles later, and I haven't spent one dime on repairs. Not a dime. I realize some day I'll have to replace the control arms, but I'll buy them on eBay for four hundred bucks and put them in myself. And maybe the brake actuator will go, but I'll buy another one for $500 off eBay. If this is all I have to worry about, I'm more than fine with that.

I owned a Honda Accord - it might be one of the best cars ever built - yet still I had to fix things...control arms, ball joints, tie rods (over and over), brake calipers (4 times), struts, control arms again, engine mounts (three times), evap solenoid/canister (twice), gas tank (now that one was a lot of fun, over a thousand bucks if I hadn't of repaired it myself), timing belt (twice), water pump (twice)...just that service alone is 500-700 bucks, oil pan gasket, vtec solenoid, o2 sensors, three mufflers, axles, valve adjustments, sway bar links and bushings once a year (those cars just eat them). And if you make it through all that "unscathed", you'll be one of the unlucky ones in the class action suite against Honda for transmission failure, to the tune of $4,000 - of course you can buy a used one off some guy named Josue, and it comes with a free pair of kidneys And surprising my interior fell apart - *****, switches - just broke way too soon. Had to replace quite of few brake hoses as well. And the worst part was I had to drive with a shimmy between 50-60 mph for over 100k miles...couldn't figure it out...replaced rims, tires, axles...nothing fixed it. I figured it must have been something in the transaxle, and I wasn't going there. Recently I had to replace the EGR valve, and transmission 2 to 3rd pressure switch (that's another thing that goes on these things like hot cakes).
What year is ur Accord and how many miles do each of your cars have?
Old 03-28-15, 08:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You and I think alike. Try owning a BMW 7 series or X5, MB, AUDI, or Jag and tell me how unreliable our LS's are. LOL. Mine is an 08 and so far, just a water pump.
Old 03-29-15, 09:34 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
What year is ur Accord and how many miles do each of your cars have?
The Accord is a 1999 LX, with the 2.3 liter 4cyl. It has the automatic transmission. It has maybe 281k miles on it. I started to have to replace things at 50k miles. It is a great car. I'd still be driving it today if it wasn't for the fact that I drive somewhere around 600 miles a week...I just can't risk breaking down. Last summer I took the thing on a 200 mile round trip and the right front brake caliper seized on the highway on me. Not pleasant. Picture the car smoking and pulling sharply to the right (in the fast lane) during rush hour traffic. It was quite an adventure to get home.

My LS 460 has 93k miles on her. I bought it with 70k a year ago. I've driven the ever living crap out of it over the last 7-8 months without one single problem (and four of those months was during the worst winter in New England history). Now maybe a year from now I'll be saying, man what a piece of crap, but I kind of doubt it. The thing just feels like new - I didn't have that feeling in my Accord after 70k miles...it started to feel loose, the brakes started having all sorts of problems, the car started shaking (still does) and the transmission started to whine (still does and man is it getting louder now). Also my oil pain started leaking at 13k miles...still does...I believe it's the only reason why my pan has no rust on it and has never been replaced.

Both are excellent cars.
Old 03-29-15, 10:21 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
The Accord is a 1999 LX, with the 2.3 liter 4cyl. It has the automatic transmission. It has maybe 281k miles on it. I started to have to replace things at 50k miles. It is a great car. I'd still be driving it today if it wasn't for the fact that I drive somewhere around 600 miles a week...I just can't risk breaking down. Last summer I took the thing on a 200 mile round trip and the right front brake caliper seized on the highway on me. Not pleasant. Picture the car smoking and pulling sharply to the right (in the fast lane) during rush hour traffic. It was quite an adventure to get home.

My LS 460 has 93k miles on her. I bought it with 70k a year ago. I've driven the ever living crap out of it over the last 7-8 months without one single problem (and four of those months was during the worst winter in New England history). Now maybe a year from now I'll be saying, man what a piece of crap, but I kind of doubt it. The thing just feels like new - I didn't have that feeling in my Accord after 70k miles...it started to feel loose, the brakes started having all sorts of problems, the car started shaking (still does) and the transmission started to whine (still does and man is it getting louder now). Also my oil pain started leaking at 13k miles...still does...I believe it's the only reason why my pan has no rust on it and has never been replaced.

Both are excellent cars.
Wishing you a safe trip on all of your travels!