LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Theft

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 05:22 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft

Thanks to all your kind members. My wife and I settled on a Lexus LS460 because of the great suspension and she has a disability and will now be able to travel. We tried every other car and nothing compared to the Lexus plus all the members here were very honest and helpful. Again thank you.

Since the LS is an expensive car does anybody have any ideas on after market anti theft devices or does the LS come with enough.

Thank you in advance,
Old 05-20-14, 05:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The LS460 has a security system built-in. Also, if you spring for the Lexus Inform subscription, I believe they can locate your car if it is stolen.
Old 05-20-14, 05:54 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about a theft. Pretty much from what I've read, the only way it is stolen is by flatbed or you leaving your FOB in the car. Plus that is what we pay such high insurance for.
Old 05-20-14, 07:19 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I wouldn't worry too much about a theft. Pretty much from what I've read, the only way it is stolen is by flatbed or you leaving your FOB in the car. Plus that is what we pay such high insurance for.
Although I would be pissed about personal items in car if mine was stolen. .the car can be replaced..perhaps with a 2010 or newer 600 lol. I would love to hear stats on stolen 460s and 600s numbers..that would be interesting
Old 05-20-14, 07:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Congrats on the new car, and good luck with it!

I can only recall one member here who had his car stolen. Get the Lexus Enform service if you are really concerned with theft of the vehicle.
Old 05-21-14, 04:37 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I WOULD worry about it! My brother's GS350 was stolen from the Lexus Service Bay at the local dealer! (they broke into the shop, grabbed a set of wheels, a bunch of tools, and a valuable computer, then grabbed the key and drove out. they broke the gate and disabled the security system/CCTV) He never found the car and had to get another after the local Lexus dealer gave him an insurance check.

I have a friend who does bodywork for Tom Wood Lexus in Indianapolis, and he says that this is not unusual and that a car is stolen every few months/1-2 times a year just from that dealership alone!

Thankfully though, as previously mentioned if you sign up for Inform your car will be able to be GPS tracked.
Old 05-21-14, 04:51 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

So based on the comments, don't ever get your car fixed at the dealer and you'll be all set. Lol.
Old 05-21-14, 05:30 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL! No, after that incident at the local dealer they upgraded all security and got a new lock box for all of the keys that require a password to access, etc.

My brother went from a 2007 to a 2010 which has Inform, and he went the extra mile to install 2 more additional GPS tracking devices!!!
Old 05-21-14, 06:03 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Honestly i dont think these cars can be stolen without the key ( just my personal opinion) its too much technology in these cars for a thief to go after unless they have a transponder that emits the same code as the key or a flat bed truck, but good ole fashion hot wiring these babies i believe will not work. As previous members has stated that Lexus enform is one way to go it can track, disable and lock/unlock your doors on the car ( all at a price). So i wouldnt be worried about the car being stolen as much as i would be if someone was to break into it and steal my valuables.
Old 05-21-14, 06:18 AM
philj
Driver

in addition to the points made above... I bought Lojack.check that out.

I ride a bike to work in NYC and work on Wall St. One day I stopped and asked the police at the Wall st checkpoint and they all agreed that Lojack is the best security.

The Enform is good but it wont work in a underground garage and the thieves can block that signal if they have the equipment.

My thoughts for what they are worth
Old 05-21-14, 07:03 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Lojack does work well, however I do have some (read a metric ton) experience with it. Lojack is placed by the company into police vehicles. They usually won't equip all of them with it, but one or two per sector. When driving around on duty, they will get a "hit" which gives them a code. That code is then given to dispatch who run it and get the make and model of car. The lojack then guides the police to the car using auditory beeps and visual arrows.

Now usually this happens when the vehicle is in motion as that is usually how it sets off that particular cruisers lojack system. So what happens when police find a stolen car as it is being driven by a thief? Yup you guessed it, police chase. So now the criminal is being chased around in your car which he has no experience driving and guess what happens next? CRASH.

It is effective in getting your vehicle back though. And yes sometimes they are just sitting there parked.

As others have stated, I would be more upset about losing whatever valuables I have in the vehicle. If I was that concerned, then I would go with the Lexus Enform system which can tell you exactly where the car is over LoJack as it has to be activated, then wait for the police to find it. (unless they have changed the most recent generation)
Old 05-21-14, 08:07 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philj
in addition to the points made above... I bought Lojack.check that out.

I ride a bike to work in NYC and work on Wall St. One day I stopped and asked the police at the Wall st checkpoint and they all agreed that Lojack is the best security.

The Enform is good but it wont work in a underground garage and the thieves can block that signal if they have the equipment.

My thoughts for what they are worth
I had a car stolen from in front of my house in Queens... It was equipped with LoJack. Mind you I had the new early warning system with key fob.
Old 05-21-14, 08:12 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your purpose! Since we're sharing stories of stolen cars, the only time I've heard of a LS being stolen was at the car wash. It had just been serviced and some passerby jumped in and off he went...

I had Lo Jack in a previous LX450. Lots of false alarms from it, however that was also 10+ years ago.
Old 05-21-14, 02:26 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Thank you all as this is a great forum. When we receive our LS460 L in September I will post pictures. Now thanks to all of you my wife can now ride in the front seat sitting up for the first time in over 7 years. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-14, 04:45 AM
philj
Driver

i can only speak for myself. when my battery in the Lojack fob died (twice) i received a email, cell call and home call.

To be honest my car has never been stolen so I do not know how it works in the case of a theft.

Quick Reply: Theft