LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS remote start install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 03:37 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

RSR=Remote Start Ready

Just to ease everyones mind as Shibumi1 continues to post fear in everyone here! Still haven't heard from the 10 grand guy who's install went south on him.

IF you have installed a DBALL in an LS, you can rest easy as this recall affects PTS type systems that have to have a key fob in a controller box and left in the car. This is NOT the case with an LS and the DBALL.

If you have started the car with the 3x lock button on your FOB, once you open a door, the DBALL shuts OFF!

When you push the PTS button on the dash and the car is now running, the OEM key fob does NOT work! Start your car and Push the lock or unlock, it's inoperative. Therefore, the 3x lock will not shut the engine off.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (10-17-17)
Old 07-27-14, 03:55 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
RSR=Remote Start Ready

Just to ease everyones mind as Shibumi1 continues to post fear in everyone here! Still haven't heard from the 10 grand guy who's install went south on him.

IF you have installed a DBALL in an LS, you can rest easy as this recall affects PTS type systems that have to have a key fob in a controller box and left in the car. This is NOT the case with an LS and the DBALL.

If you have started the car with the 3x lock button on your FOB, once you open a door, the DBALL shuts OFF!

When you push the PTS button on the dash and the car is now running, the OEM key fob does NOT work! Start your car and Push the lock or unlock, it's inoperative. Therefore, the 3x lock will not shut the engine off.
I don't believe he is posting fear..but trying to help advise people on what is going on? And to be clear to avoid any confusion, Shibumi is not the person who installed that system that owner had the major issue with the DBall. If someone not familiar with the story was reading your post, it could be perceived that way imo
Old 07-28-14, 05:01 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
RSR=Remote Start Ready

According to a tech bulletin I read an rsr system with the added alarm security system IS also a possible cause for shut down.(because 3x lock will still function thru the alarm for remote start whilst the engine is running) as it is a random issue they chose not to include it in their recall...but because of cross use of firmware parameters they asked dealers to check with their customers to see if the issue is larger than already discussed.. so I posted it here to bring attention to the issue. So everyone can be safe and sure their vehicles weren't affected..

as for the gentleman with the rsr issue (WHO ISNT A CL MEMBER BY THE WAY) it was installer error pure an simple...not the module (as I said earlier) they connected to the wrong wires in the car AND grounded out others causing the cpu's to fail.. So that warning was IF U DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING SEEK A PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER WHO IS VERSED IN RSR INSTALLATIONS! he has contacted them an their insurance has paid for ALL repairs!!!

Lastly I started a thread here (long before you fyi) telling CL members about the dball rsr solution. . So how am I trying to scare people away from this??? Its an inexpensive solution for remote start... who wouldn't want that? After more than 26 yrs in this industry I have found that an educated consumer is the happiest.. so I volunteer my knowledge to help the diy'ers out there.. so since I dont remember u posting this in your install directions...the 1st you do when performing an rsr or alarm install is disconnect the battery so as to avoid vehicle damage during the install process...an TRIPLE check your connections!!! But of course you knew that an posted in your thread

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I don't believe he is posting fear..but trying to help advise people on what is going on? And to be clear to avoid any confusion, Shibumi is not the person who installed that system that owner had the major issue with the DBall. If someone not familiar with the story was reading your post, it could be perceived that way imo
Thanks man.. again it was never meant to scare people but just draw attention to a potential problem... an, NO I wasn't the 1, who damaged the LS.. but as he got the info here and read a few of my posts he contacted me an brought the car for us to diagnose his troubles..
Old 07-28-14, 06:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Slimjimtel:

Your instructions and info were awesome and I thank you for it. If it were not for you, I probably would not have the RS. I cannot believe how easy this was. Probably the easiest electronic install I've done on this car (PS module, LED DRL's, etc). Hell, installing my interior LED's was more frustrating than this! LOL
Old 08-28-14, 12:37 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I've got a LS430 and been thinking about doing a upgrade but, one big feature I would miss out of "box" is remote start, I have had a 2 way remote start/alarm in my car from when I got it about 10 years ago now (pre-owned and it came with it). It saves me in the summer from a hot car and in the New England weathers we have here, a little bit of snow with remote start for 10-15 min and most snow is gone.

This looks like a crazy easy install for almost nothing when you come down to it (a good remote start could be around $300+)

What is the real range of this ? Could you be 100-200 feet away and start the car ? Or is this like from 15-20 feet (worthless in my case). Is there any feedback to know the car has started or like said above to put on the driving lights so it could be seen across a parking lot from a 2nd floor, etc ?
Old 08-28-14, 05:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I've got a LS430 and been thinking about doing a upgrade but, one big feature I would miss out of "box" is remote start, I have had a 2 way remote start/alarm in my car from when I got it about 10 years ago now (pre-owned and it came with it). It saves me in the summer from a hot car and in the New England weathers we have here, a little bit of snow with remote start for 10-15 min and most snow is gone.

This looks like a crazy easy install for almost nothing when you come down to it (a good remote start could be around $300+)

What is the real range of this ? Could you be 100-200 feet away and start the car ? Or is this like from 15-20 feet (worthless in my case). Is there any feedback to know the car has started or like said above to put on the driving lights so it could be seen across a parking lot from a 2nd floor, etc ?
It's a no-brainer install. Works flawlessly and has great range. Definitely more than 200 feet. I've started the car from the entrance of Walmart all the way into the parking lot. Love that it uses the factory FOB.

DO IT!
Old 08-28-14, 07:49 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Pretty sure RSR wont work on the Ls430.... you'd need a full alarm with remote start to do it.. if I'm not mistaken...

Sorry...
Old 08-29-14, 02:14 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Shibumi1 is correct, you would need a DBALL to bypass the key sensor, then you need a remote start to actually fire the car. This would require you to carry a new key fob for the remote start as well. YES, it can be done, a little more difficult and more wiring.
Old 08-30-14, 06:29 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Pretty sure RSR wont work on the Ls430.... you'd need a full alarm with remote start to do it.. if I'm not mistaken...

Sorry...
I currently have remote start on my LS430, I'm good with this car. I was thinking of doing a upgrade to a LS460 (want AWD)....Maybe in a few months but, one thing I would miss is remote start. This looks like a very simple install and when I get my LS460 at some point, I will DEF do this.

Maybe I was not clear when I said it above....

My main point of the question was about range and that was answered....pretty epic, remote start with the factory FOB, very freaking cool. I hate carrying around a key and FOB for the alarm/remote start...

I'm assuming there is no feedback (like a 2 way remote) so if your out of viewable range of the car, it's just assuming that it started...
Old 08-31-14, 04:06 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Thats correct there's no feedback thru the oem fob....BUT if u add a dsm250 (smart start gps) u now have UNLIMITED range via your smart phone..it plugs into the dball ..still no remote needed as your phone becomes an extra remote with greater range an feedback confirmation of engine start....
Old 08-31-14, 05:35 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Thats correct there's no feedback thru the oem fob....BUT if u add a dsm250 (smart start gps) u now have UNLIMITED range via your smart phone..it plugs into the dball ..still no remote needed as your phone becomes an extra remote with greater range an feedback confirmation of engine start....
Neat but, for like $100 a year for that service ? Not sure if I could see the value in that, it seems like a lot on something that I might not use that much (remote start is only used on really, really hot days, or really, really cold days).

Also the fact that I have a Windows Phone(that I love) and I am sure they do not have a "app for that".

I will look into it when I finally make the jump to a 460. This is pretty epic to be able to get remote start for almost nothing that is seamless just using the OEM FOB. That is really a OMG thing.
Old 08-31-14, 05:45 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Neat but, for like $100 a year for that service ? Not sure if I could see the value in that, it seems like a lot on something that I might not use that much (remote start is only used on really, really hot days, or really, really cold days).

Also the fact that I have a Windows Phone(that I love) and I am sure they do not have a "app for that".

I will look into it when I finally make the jump to a 460. This is pretty epic to be able to get remote start for almost nothing that is seamless just using the OEM FOB. That is really a OMG thing.

Its about 199.99 for 3yrs.(for gps version.. non gps 139 for 3yrs).. which breaks down to less than $6 a month w gps tracking(3.86 a month for non gps)....sounds like a deal to me....u pay more than that for your weekly starbucks run... an I dont drink coffee.....
Old 08-31-14, 05:54 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Its about 199.99 for 3yrs.(for gps version.. non gps 139 for 3yrs).. which breaks down to less than $6 a month w gps tracking(3.86 a month for non gps)....sounds like a deal to me....u pay more than that for your weekly starbucks run... an I dont drink coffee.....
Yea, not too bad as you put it that way. The other issue, is there an app for Windows Phone? That would be the big question here for me...

There is still time, so not too worried about it at this point, as I am eyeing a 460, does not mean I will jump any time soon. All the stars need to align for that to happen and I am sure it's not going to happen any time right away !

Thanks for the info !
Old 08-31-14, 06:49 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Yea, not too bad as you put it that way. The other issue, is there an app for Windows Phone? That would be the big question here for me...

There is still time, so not too worried about it at this point, as I am eyeing a 460, does not mean I will jump any time soon. All the stars need to align for that to happen and I am sure it's not going to happen any time right away !

Thanks for the info !

As of Aug 19 last yr smart start has been windows phone compatible. .
Old 09-01-14, 03:23 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

I have the smart start on my LS600. I love it, the beauty is, you can check to see if the car is running, if the doors, hood or trunk is open. If the remote start has shut down, did you lock it? You can set lockdowns to know if your car leaves a specific area...good for Valets and service centers. You can also set speed alerts...works well if a valet, service tech wants to take your car for a "Joy Ride".

You now have UNLIMITED range...like in another country if you so wish!

I don't Carry any keys or key fob.

I have the smart card in my wallet. So, I can never leave the house without my wallet (car won't run without the smart card), I cannot lock the car without my wallet in hand or in my pocket (car does a continuous beeeeeeeeep if I push the door handle button and the key is inside) So, never again will I leave my wallet in the car, get through the checkout line at the grocery store and go...DAMN, left my wallet in the car., hate it when that would happen...embarrassing!

1 downfall to smart start, it uses AT&T cell service. It can be a little schetchy some times and won't get a signal. You just learn to live with it. However, the features definitely outweigh this issue.

Quick Reply: LS remote start install DIY