LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vibration depending on how many passengers/speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 06:29 AM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration depending on how many passengers/speed

I recently purchased a 2011 LS 460 L AWD. The first thing I did to the car was swap out the OEM wheels for a set of 22" wheels with a new set of tires. While the ride is still smooth, it is understandably a bit bumpier. When the wheels were put on and I took it out for a spin everything was and is fine from 0 mph up through highway cruising speeds, when I am the only one in the car.

However, when a passenger is in the front seat I run into an issue. From 0 mph to 40 mph everything is smooth. When I am between 43-46 mph there is a vibration in the floor board of the car where I feel it with my feet. Once I am beyond that speed point, everything is smooth again.

Alignment was checked when the wheels went on and I have not hit any big potholes. Everything was Road Force balanced prior to install (about 200 miles ago).

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-14, 07:03 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, this might be a suspension issue? Just saying that because technically the car would sit lower on the passenger side when you add the weight of that extra person. But, if they just checked the alignment, hopefully they would have caught anything in the suspension. I just don't see the tires or balancing being the culprit because of an additional 150-180 lbs in the car. Did you get this vibration with a passenger in the car with the stock wheels on?
Old 05-07-14, 07:10 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much lbs of air are in the tires? What brand are the tires? I am having the same issue and will be swapping out my tires. I think they are crap....
Old 05-07-14, 08:58 AM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

I'm running Pirelli P Zero Nero 255/30/22. I have read good and bad about these tires but have liked them so far. Tires are inflated to 36 lbs. I believe.
Old 05-07-14, 09:06 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... I had those before and I hated them....

I am running 2 different sets of tires.. I know i know i shouldn't....

I have Yohohama Advan Sport in the rear, 295 25 22 with 40psi in them and for the front I have these crappy delinte thunder d7 tires, 245 30 22 running 35 psi. I read reviews of these delintes after and man.... they are GARBAGE!!!! Every review I read complained about vibration from them.
Old 05-07-14, 01:46 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

I took it in to have it looked at. After 200 or so miles on these wheels the front is out of balance and the front passenger wheel is every so slightly bent. No potholes, maybe a few small bumps, but heck apparently it doesn't take much to bend an alloy wheel. When the wheel was spinning and a screwdriver with a felt tip was put on the wheel there was a tiny bump at one point on the rotation. I hope my luck gets better with this car as I've had 2 other issues in a month
Old 05-07-14, 02:46 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
hmmm... I had those before and I hated them....

. I read reviews of these delintes after and man.... they are GARBAGE!!!! Every review I read complained about vibration from them.
Can't disagree with you more. I love my Delinte's. Running 305/25/22 rear and 255/30/22 front. Two other LS owners I know have them and love them as well. I am going on over a year with these and nothing but good things to say. I did need them road force balanced to get them smooth, but anyone with 22s should get road force done anyway. I run my tire air psi at 39-41 range
Old 05-07-14, 04:22 PM
808LS
Driver School Candidate

I would check for missing wheel weights...you may have lost some post balancing. It's happened to me with other cars.
Old 05-07-14, 05:20 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

My shop checked and the balancing was off a bit. They balanced them and now from 60 mph on up its terrible.
Old 05-07-14, 05:31 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Pkp1903
My shop checked and the balancing was off a bit. They balanced them and now from 60 mph on up its terrible.
With a passenger in the front and are they fine when there's just you? Are you taking it to a Lexus dealership to have them diagnose the problem?
Old 05-07-14, 06:01 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by sktn77a

With a passenger in the front and are they fine when there's just you? Are you taking it to a Lexus dealership to have them diagnose the problem?
So if they truly road forced your tires, if they are THAT bad, it would of shown issues during the run out test while balancing. My front right delinte had an issue, but the technician indexed the tire differently on the rim and reduced the weight being thrown by over 20lbs and resulted in smooth as glass ride. I had issues at first with a normal balance, but when I took it to a shop with techs who knew how to properly balance it made all the difference. The tech skill level is a major part in the success of wheel and tire balancing. I've been on custom aftermarket wheels since 1990 on my various vehicles. Had a few tires that were truly out of round which can happen to even the top tire companies..but 90% of the time it is a shop with less than skilled techs using uncalibrated balancing equipment.

Do you have proper lug nuts for aftermarket wheels? Usually acorn style

Do you have all hub centric rings installed if your wheels do not have a 60.1mm hub bore?
Old 05-07-14, 06:16 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

I had taken it to a local shop that I have gone to got years with no issues. I was hesitant on taking to the dealership wondering if aftermarket wheels would/could void the CPO warranty, but I may just have to.

All hub rings are in place and correct lug nuts used.
Old 05-07-14, 06:22 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

Vibration depending on how many passengers/speed-image.jpg

Here is the girl giving me so much grief...
Old 05-07-14, 06:35 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Pkp1903
I had taken it to a local shop that I have gone to got years with no issues. I was hesitant on taking to the dealership wondering if aftermarket wheels would/could void the CPO warranty, but I may just have to.

All hub rings are in place and correct lug nuts used.
They won't void the warranty per se...Since you have AWD, are you aware of the driveline vibration tsb that is in the faq thread? Put your stocks on and take it in to dealer to avoid any bs

Last edited by CJITTY; 05-07-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 06:42 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah balancing is only as good as the tech i would say put your stocks on and take it to the dealer... to see if they find anything most likely though its the tech that balance them.. cjitty is all praise on them delinte i had em on my girl ride did nt see anything wrong with em.

Quick Reply: Vibration depending on how many passengers/speed