LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hold feature issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 06:48 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Hold feature issue

I've only had my new (to me) LS460 AWD for a few days, and I am absolutely loving the overall refinement and luxury of the car.

One of my favorite features so far (surprisingly) is the Hold feature. I don't quite know why this one tickles me so much, but I just love being able to take my foot off the brake during our long Mid-west light cycles.

The only problem I've ran into, though (and I wanted to see if others are having the same issue), is that our light cycles here in the Omaha NE area are so long that the full Parking Brake has kicked in on two occasions already. The first time this happened, I was really surprised and confused by why I wasn't going when I hit the gas. I was nearly rear-ended as others behind me saw me start to go then immediately stop. Apparently, according to the manual, the full Parking Brake is set if more than 3 minutes elapse while on Hold. So on two different occasions, just as I was hitting the gas, the Parking Brake engaged (really bad timing). The first time it happened, it took me a few seconds to understand what had happened and to locate the parking brake release button. The second time, I at least understood what had happened and was a bit quicker on the parking brake shutoff.

Anyway, I called the dealer to see if there was any way to disable this feature, since it's clear that our lights are very SLOOOOOOWWWW here in Omaha and it's kind of dangerous to have the brake engage just as you're launching from a light. Dealer says there's no way to overide this "safety" system.

So I'm sad now, since I probably won't be able to use the Hold feature after all (I don't want to be constantly having to worry about the parking brake kicking on just as I'm about to press on the gas pedal).

Anyone else find this annoying? Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-14, 11:03 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

The 'Hold' feature is one of my favs next to radar cruise, I never been sat at a light for 3 mins or more. The only time the PB will engage is in busy drive through or heavy traffic, I can understand getting caught off guard by this safety feature when being new to it, but after the first time one should be familiar. The system will chime and display a msg on the dash, soon as you hear it disengage the PB and i'm sure you will be on your way before it engages again. There is no way to personalize a longer time or overriding this due to it being a safety issue. Another thing the system will warn you if the temp outside reads 32 degree about using the Hold button on icy road conditions, also it won't work unless your seat belt is on and if you take it off the system will engage the PB. Looks like you may have to monitor your dash to see if the PB is on or not use the Hold button at all, I know the would suck! I think it would become second nature after watching for the PB when it engages, then releasing it if the light is still red.
Old 04-21-14, 11:24 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It also won't engage on certain inclines or declines...if it's too steep. You find this out living in or around San Francisco.
Old 04-21-14, 11:26 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Tee -- great points, and exactly what I have concluded also. The problem I had (it seems) is that at the exact instant I was pressing on the gas to go the car was initiating the Parking Brake set -- I tested the system in my driveway and saw that there is a very noticeable chime and warning when the PB gets set, but I didn't see it the two times it happened. Probably just incredibly bad timing (the lights took exactly 3 minutes to change, I'm guessing)...

Anyway, I now know what to do if this happens again, so I'll probably just get used to being sensitive to it at long lights.

Thanks for the response!
Old 04-21-14, 12:04 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine will beep and tell me to either tap the brake to continue brake hold else the parking break will engage. It gives me a solid 15 second heads up and as long as I tap the brake pedal once it will continue for another 3 minutes. Are you not getting that message and beep from the speedometer screen?

-Joe
Old 04-21-14, 12:59 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by jamodeo
Mine will beep and tell me to either tap the brake to continue brake hold else the parking break will engage. It gives me a solid 15 second heads up and as long as I tap the brake pedal once it will continue for another 3 minutes. Are you not getting that message and beep from the speedometer screen? -Joe
You have a 2013 and looks like Lexus updated the Hold button feature. That would be nice to be able add that to our legacy 460's.
Old 04-21-14, 01:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow, a 3 minute light. They would never do that in Boston, after 45 seconds we're running the light!

I remember a member here recounting a horror story when that happen to him and he didn't realize he had to disengage the PB. People were blasting their horns and all he could think to do is floor it to get the car moving.
Old 04-21-14, 01:33 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember him. He was stopped for a draw bridge and didn't know how to disengage the brake so eventually he drove off the bridge with the brake on. oops! He was not happy.
Old 04-21-14, 01:34 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by riknchar
Tee -- great points, and exactly what I have concluded also. The problem I had (it seems) is that at the exact instant I was pressing on the gas to go the car was initiating the Parking Brake set -- I tested the system in my driveway and saw that there is a very noticeable chime and warning when the PB gets set, but I didn't see it the two times it happened. Probably just incredibly bad timing (the lights took exactly 3 minutes to change, I'm guessing)... Anyway, I now know what to do if this happens again, so I'll probably just get used to being sensitive to it at long lights. Thanks for the response!
No problem.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I remember a member here recounting a horror story when that happen to him and he didn't realize he had to disengage the PB. People were blasting their horns and all he could think to do is floor it to get the car moving.
I remember that thread, happened back on 08 good read if anyone interested click the link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...idiculous.html

Last edited by Tee; 04-21-14 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 02:16 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
It also won't engage on certain inclines or declines...if it's too steep. You find this out living in or around San Francisco.
This is because the "hold" function only puts 80% of the brake pressure on. . .
Old 04-21-14, 02:43 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
I remember him. He was stopped for a draw bridge and didn't know how to disengage the brake so eventually he drove off the bridge with the brake on. oops! He was not happy.
Here is a link to the "hold feature in the bridge line" story. Lots of people have not handled this sort of event well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...idiculous.html
Old 04-21-14, 02:44 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my FAVORITE features as well! Sounds silly, but I really like the HOLD button. My little sales gal at Lexus was showing me a GS model (before I bought my 2012 LS) and I asked if there was a HOLD button, and she sadly told me no. That really sunk the GS for me! When I went to look at the 2012 LS, the first thing she told me was "....and look, it has the HOLD button!". She is good....and, not gonna lie....very attractive....but, I digress. If I'm at a light or in a long line I'll just occasionally move forward a few inches and "poof", a new 3 minutes begins. I was confused the first time it happened though.
Old 04-21-14, 05:11 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait, so if you tap the brake at lets say, 2 minutes. It doesn't reset the 3 minute counter on the LS before 2013?!?

-Joe
Old 04-21-14, 08:40 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wait for the feeling that man, this light seems to be awful long. When that happens, I firmly press on the brake pedal, then push the Brake Hold button to disable it, and then push it again to re-enable it. The new cycle gives me another 3 minutes and I've NEVER been caught in WTFville since.
Old 04-22-14, 05:40 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamodeo
Mine will beep and tell me to either tap the brake to continue brake hold else the parking break will engage. It gives me a solid 15 second heads up and as long as I tap the brake pedal once it will continue for another 3 minutes. Are you not getting that message and beep from the speedometer screen?

-Joe
That sounds like a great solution to the Hold problem I experienced! Sounds like the Lexus folks didn't get it implemented until the 2013 model year, though...

Quick Reply: Hold feature issue