LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking back - what could you live without?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 04:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking back - what could you live without?

Folks,

Have been toying with the idea of picking up an LS460(L) in the near future. I started off really only wanting a 2007 with Nav/ML. As I read more and more on here, I noticed most peoples biggest regret was not getting the L. So, I started focusing more on the L. Well, then I start going through all of the other options and the price tag continued to climb. Today I am trying to take a step back and see what I really should look for, and the things I could do without.

Firstly, this will be a spare car so won't be driven too much. Secondly, I am wanting to keep it under $30k so more like an 07 or 08. Plans for it in time would be wheels and a drop.

Every time I find one I like the Carfax/Autocheck sends me running in the opposite direction. I've scoured our vehicle classifieds here but so far no luck. Obviously would be nice to find one that already had the wheels/drop, but they are somewhat of a rarity and the people who do have these seem to want all of their money back on them.

So my requirements are <$30k, Nav/ML, preferably black exterior. Would like an L but not a requirement.

I guess this thread is twofold...

1. Has anyone seen anything that might fit my requirements? I am in OK but willing to travel/ship the right car..

2. What requirements did you have prior to purchase, then realize they weren't such a big deal once you got them?

Thanks for your opinions/advice,
Old 04-12-14, 04:58 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I recently bought an 07 Non-L with nav, comfort plus package and would personally consider this the ideal non-l package. To me it has everything it should except the long wheelbase. I really don't need the L as I very rarely have rear passengers. I think it is more of a show off thing for me. I really would like it to show others how huge the rear legroom is. But that is my opinion only based on not having the long wheelbase. If I had it I might find I couldn't do without it.

It took me months of searching to find the right one with everything in it that I wanted. I was a daily visitor to autotrader. I travelled 3 hours to pick mine up, so be sure to widen your search. A lot of people have them shipped across country.
Old 04-12-14, 06:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Most of the early LS 460s in the SouthEast Region came with a pretty standard equipment spec - Nav, ML and the comfort package. That's typically what you see here on Craigslist and at the dealerships. I just bought a 2007 with 64,000 miles with this spec plus the intuitive park assist. The car was immaculate, clean CarFax and a clean pre-purchase inspection at the local Lexus dealership/bodyshop. I was able to swing a 3yr/36,000 mile Lexus Platinum extended warranty at the local dealership, even though I didn't buy the car there - never hurts to call up and ask! So that will take me to 10 years/100,000 miles. Didn't need the L version - this one met my needs perfectly.
Old 04-12-14, 07:17 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Comfort package is a must.......
Old 04-12-14, 08:28 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you're chauffeuring basketball players around, why would you need an "L"?
I have a 2008 non-L and I've never had anyone complain about the ride in the back seat.
Just my opinion. You may have other needs.
Old 04-12-14, 09:14 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
Unless you're chauffeuring basketball players around, why would you need an "L"?
I have a 2008 non-L and I've never had anyone complain about the ride in the back seat.
Just my opinion. You may have other needs.
L rides better with longer wheel base and for me and having a kid who cannot kick the front seats is worth it..especially when i paid less for my 600hL than many did for a swb lol
Old 04-13-14, 12:19 AM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A swb with stock wheels and supsension will ride better than an L with 22s - compare apples to apples. LOL.
Old 04-13-14, 12:59 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally, if I'm buying the "big" flagship car, the long wheelbase option is a MUST IMO. Maybe I'm a bit brainwashed, having owned two gigantic Cadillacs(hated the 95 Fleetwood and loved the 91 Brougham), size matters.

These flagship cars are all about excess, so buy the one that has the decadent rear seat. Plus I like all those extra buttons in the center arm rest for the fat cat in the rear seat. Granted it is a car I ALWAYS drive, but if you are hauling business clients along, its a little bit of a psychological trick to make them think they are riding 1st class back there, in a hired car.
Old 04-13-14, 04:58 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Obviously would be nice to find one that already had the wheels/drop, but they are somewhat of a rarity and the people who do have these seem to want all of their money back on them.
My suggestion would be... DON'T buy a car that has previously been Modded. You don't know what, who or how someone has been messing with the car. Try to find a unaltered virgin car. You want to inherit as few of someone else's problems as you can, this should be buying a used car 101. You want a trouble free car and not have to spend money to fix what those before you screwed up.

If you're wanting to lower it, look for an LS with air suspension and put a data controller on it. Lots of discussion regarding this. It's the quickest easiest way to lower an LS without taking it to a shop and removing suspension parts, cost $600-1000

Good luck in your search, I agree with Greg3852, widen your search. I bought my LS600hL 1100 miles away sight unseen as a CPO and couldn't be happier. Had it shipped by www.rdwarriors.com
Old 04-13-14, 05:55 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stick to the Non L....here's why

If you get an L, it comes with air suspension. Even on a Lexus, air suspension eventually breaks, and when it does, it is extremely expensive. Also, with air suspension there is a lot to break....lines, sensors, ECU, and the dreaded air struts.
Also, short wheel base handles better.

If the L didn't have air suspension, I would probably favor it too. Remember this. When it comes to air suspension, the question is not will it break, it is when.
Old 04-13-14, 06:26 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Good points MAFPOLO!

Leads me to one other thought. Lowering a vehicle, if not done correctly puts undo stress on "other" parts which leads to premature failure.
Old 04-13-14, 06:41 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
If you get an L, it comes with air suspension. Even on a Lexus, air suspension eventually breaks, and when it does, it is extremely expensive. Also, with air suspension there is a lot to break....lines, sensors, ECU, and the dreaded air struts. Also, short wheel base handles better. If the L didn't have air suspension, I would probably favor it too. Remember this. When it comes to air suspension, the question is not will it break, it is when.
All LWB 460's do not come with A/S, A/S is an option and was not added to SWB as an option until 2009. Yes A/S can fail, based on threads it's always the struts not any other parts. One can protect themselves of the costly repairs by getting a extended warranty that will cover A/S should it fail. I would not let that scare me away from a car that I'm looking at, if you really want it.

I'm one of those guys in the camp for #TeamLWB after owning a SWB I can tell you it rides better and that's comparing the stocks wheel with 22's. The extra leg room makes a difference as well, when have rear passengers or family they enjoy the space. This will come down to personal preference between the two, nice to have a choice huh?! You should drive, sit and ride in the back of both then decided on your primary wants/needs. Weigh out the pros & cons, I think the guys who posted so far have provided good points. You mentioned wanting to drop the car with wheels IMO I think LWB cars lowered look better than SWB lowered, I also think every car looks much better with a drop!
Old 04-13-14, 07:36 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by mafpolo
If you get an L, it comes with air suspension..
Not even close to being accurate at all. When I was looking for my LWB, almost 80% or more of the ones I looked at didn't have A/S. So folks, rest assured and do your homework to make sure you don't miss out on a car you want because folks are stating incorrect information on forums.
Old 04-13-14, 07:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No kidding. I mean I've had very large and tall law enforcement types in my back seat and they are nowhere near touching my front seats with their knees. It's cavernous back there.

The only thing I could live without is the self-parking feature. And the only thing I could NOT live without is the ML sound.
Old 04-13-14, 07:43 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No kidding. I mean I've had very large and tall law enforcement types in my back seat and they are nowhere near touching my front seats with their knees. It's cavernous back there.

The only thing I could live without is the self-parking feature. And the only thing I could NOT live without is the ML sound.
Hmm, I guess I am spoiled with the rear legroom and my passengers can actually stretch out more in my LWB. I do agree with you on self parking..it is a novelty option and never used. BUT, it did help me sell my old 460 because I showed the buyer's wife how it works and that hooked her lmao...

Quick Reply: Looking back - what could you live without?