LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking back - what could you live without?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 09:27 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you gentlemen for all of your responses - they are much appreciated. I have a lot to think about as I move forward.

Another question - what is the deal with the LS600hl? They seem to all sell for much much cheaper than I would have expected? Do people steer clear of them for a reason?

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-14, 08:15 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Thank you gentlemen for all of your responses - they are much appreciated. I have a lot to think about as I move forward.

Another question - what is the deal with the LS600hl? They seem to all sell for much much cheaper than I would have expected? Do people steer clear of them for a reason?

Thanks again!
I'm interested to see a reply on this! Perhaps CJITTY can help here?
Old 04-13-14, 08:31 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes

I'm interested to see a reply on this! Perhaps CJITTY can help here?
1. 600s usually have every option possible as they are usually custom ordered and people who can afford the $120k+ price tag will get them loaded

2. 600s have a 5.0 vs a 4.6L engine of the 460 and comes with a CVT transmission with all wheel drive. Very powerful car with lots of torque and no shift points whatsoever. I have owned both and love my 600.

3. 600 is the flagship of the Lexus flagship LS platform. There are some differences with the world's first LED headlamp system and some interior touches like leather dash and unique headliner.

4. Most folks steer clear due to price initially but more folks are buying 2008 to 2010 600s as of late. Sure, they are more than most would pay for a used car..but you are buying the best Lexus had to offer at the time of production.

Folks like SBLexus and Tee have 460L's with nearly every single option the 600s have minus the hybrid system, CVT transmission, LED headlights and other stuff unique to the 600. Some folks are scared odf by the hybrid batteries potentially going bad, but they have an 8yr/80k mile warranty. I have been on CL since 2010 and I have yet to hear of a battery issue with a 600. Even if someone did, I think Lexus would make things right because hybrid tech is a big deal and they want positive vs negative publicity.

Bottom line IMO is price is keeping most back from buying a 600..followed by skepticism of the hybrid components lasting past warranty and potential steep repair bills that most likely would never be an issue. Just guessing here..I have no data to support this theory. But, I know it feels good pulling up in the Lexus dealer or service line with it. .folks treat ya even better. And being under 40 and owning one feels great as I get funny looks from people who often look to figure out how the fawwk is he able to own a 600 lol..yes..folks do that shiet when they assume things..I never understood that but now that I live in the south, I can see why people still "assume" things

Last edited by CJITTY; 04-13-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 09:03 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ +1 on cjitty answer. Had I found a great deal on the 600 I too would have purchased one so instead I got the next best thing.
Old 04-14-14, 02:42 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've owned my LS600 for about 3 weeks, was at Discount tire and the techs were out with their cell phones taking pictures! Weird, but kind of cool. Then I pulled into a parking lot and a guy and his wife that were driving a GS350 pulled in just to talk about it. The guy said, "I didn't know they made a 600".

I paid more for the 600, but I have to say, it's an AMAZING automobile. Looked at both 750 BMW and S550 Benz, maybe my heart was not in those two brands because of past Lexus ownership and great service. BUT, both cars didn't have the feel like the 600.

I would have got NO pictures at Discount tire and no one would have intentionally pulled in just to chat about my car if it weren't for the 600.
Old 04-14-14, 05:00 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's an awesome testimony!

My goal is to upgrade to the 600 with every possible option Lexus had available in 2010 as my next vehicle. So Executive Class, Leather Dash and Steering wheel, LKA, Advanced Pre-Collision, etc. . . (just give me a few years) lol!
Old 04-14-14, 05:27 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I would jump on 600 if I was looking now without hesitation, 600's are in the sweet spot for pricing now and it's and outstanding car! This is the first car I owned fully loaded with no dummy plates covering missing features/buttons, yes I use all of them it's the gadget guy in me. When CJITTY searching for an L packaged like mine it was so hard to find, I told him his best bet was a 600 b/c it was guaranteed to have all the options he wanted and then some. To some the 600 may be overkill or too much car but one mans overkill is another's must have! If you ever come across one you can take for a test ride by all means go for it!
Old 04-14-14, 10:38 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Johnny, when I bought my 2007 new I ordered it from the factory so I could get exactly what I wanted. I ordered it with just about every option available on a SWB. In the end the only thing I haven't used is the self park feature, although I got my money's worth because years ago it was a great parlor trick to show my friends!

I wanted a SWB because we rarely have back seat passengers, and in Boston with lots of parallel parking, I appreciate the 5 fewer inches.

If you have never had radar cruise control, and are someone who uses/needs cc, then the Pre-Collision System is an absolute must. I will never buy a daily driver without it.

And to second some of the other posts, if I were to buy a used LS today, it would be a 600.
Old 04-14-14, 06:42 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

'08 SWB (CPO) here. As the driver, the L doesn't do *me* any good except some bragging rights. As it is, friends & co-workers love it when I drive, as they get to be passengers. Even the 6'+ tall folks fit nicely in the back seats with plenty of leg room.

If there was a kid in the back, kicking the back of the drivers seat, they would have their *** beaten in short order.
Old 04-14-14, 07:55 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

So for me it took me a little while searching for my car. I had very specific wants. 07-09 was a first want. 10-12's were just way more money. At the time the difference between a 600 and a 460L was around 10k. I figured I didn't need a 600 at that rate. So 07-09 460L with non-air and no rear climate control but with the adjustable recline-able rear seats. I didn't want the rear climate control because the heating and ac components occupies about 1/3 of the trunk in the 07-09. I didn't want air because I planned on going aftermarket air. I needed that trunk space because i wasn't sure where i would be mounting the tank and compressors so I made sure that was an option for me. ML/Nav was also on my list. Park assist happened to come with the car as well...i use it every once and a while but that's not a must.
Old 04-15-14, 01:03 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. As I expected, I threw myself a complete curveball and did this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...8-ls600hl.html

Now I just have to be patient and wait for it to be shipped here. I was going to go get it and drive it back, but that would have required me to pay their taxes if it wasn't being shipped...

Thanks again!