LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings

Old 06-19-14, 04:27 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Additional to my last:

It might be helpful for Carista to somehow relate the "official" Lexus Personalized Settings to Carista's Lexus settings. To that end, I have attached the LPS sheet for my 2013 LS460 from the Lexus Drivers site. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS_with_nav_LPS.pdf (185.5 KB, 999 views)
Old 06-19-14, 04:54 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, here are my replies:

Temperature dial calibration
-2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C

This is a setting with which you can "offset" the temperature that the climate control is showing if for some reason it shows it incorrectly. For example, if it's showing 20°C and it thinks it has reached this desired temp, but it's actually 21°C in the car, you can set it to +1°C to make what it shows more realistic. It's in Celsius because that's how the car takes it. I guess we could always show something like -3.6°F / -1.8°F / NORMAL / +1.8°F / +3.6°F if we detect that the user's locale is US. But for now, I figured it's not a big deal to leave it in Celsius. Only 25% of our customers are in the US... and the other 75% want Celsius.
What if I were to call it "Climate control temperature display correction"?

Ambient temperature calibration
-3°C / -2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C / +3°C

Same as above, but for outside air temperature display.
Maybe "Ambient temperature display correction"?

A/C evaporator control
*AUTOMATIC* / MANUAL

Yeah, this one is pretty bad. The evaporator is a part of the A/C system... and I think this setting effectively means whether you want the A/C to turn on automatically. But I don't know under what conditions. If you figure it out by trying it, let me know and I'll change the name to something more descriptive. This is one of those "vague" ones I was talking about. They come from badly translated Japanese, mostly...

A/C ECO mode
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

I never really understood this ECO mode. A bunch of the settings are related to that. How does a driver activate/deactivate this mode, and what does it mean to be in this mode? Apparently it affects the heated seats as well.

Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on
*YES* / NO

Beautifully clear.

Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)
*YES* / NO

This one corresponds to "Auto A/C Mode" from the LPS PDF. How should I name it? Maybe something like "Use A/C if needed when climate control is in AUTO mode"? Or maybe an inverted version: "Disable A/C in AUTO mode"?

Deactivate front defroster when AUTO button pressed
*YES* / NO

Good

Also blow to feet in face mode
*YES* / NO

Good, but I'd like someone to try this out and tell me how exactly it affects the vents. My understanding is that if you set the middle vents on the dash to be on, this will also blow air through the footwell vents. And I would expect when this is set to "NO", the vents will be individually selectable, with no dependencies between them.

Auto-activate steering-wheel heater
YES / *NO*

When does the steering-wheel heater get activated when this is on? Is it when the climate control is set to blow warm air? Or does this setting make the steering-wheel heater activate when it detects that it's necessary (e.g. when cabin temp is low, regardless of climate control setting)?

Steering-wheel heater activation threshold
MUCH WARMER / WARMER / *NORMAL* / COLDER / MUCH COLDER

This is the temperature threshold at which the previous setting would make the steering-wheel heater activate automatically. To make it more sensitive (i.e. engage even when it's not that cold), use the "MUCH WARMER" value. I'm open to suggestions. Would it be clearer if the values were "MOST SENSITIVE / SENSITIVE / NORMAL / LESS SENSITIVE / LEAST SENSITIVE"?
Old 06-19-14, 07:53 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carista
Ok, here are my replies:

Temperature dial calibration
-2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C

This is a setting with which you can "offset" the temperature that the climate control is showing if for some reason it shows it incorrectly. For example, if it's showing 20°C and it thinks it has reached this desired temp, but it's actually 21°C in the car, you can set it to +1°C to make what it shows more realistic. It's in Celsius because that's how the car takes it. I guess we could always show something like -3.6°F / -1.8°F / NORMAL / +1.8°F / +3.6°F if we detect that the user's locale is US. But for now, I figured it's not a big deal to leave it in Celsius. Only 25% of our customers are in the US... and the other 75% want Celsius.
What if I were to call it "Climate control temperature display correction"?

Ambient temperature calibration
-3°C / -2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C / +3°C

Same as above, but for outside air temperature display.
Maybe "Ambient temperature display correction"?
I'm agnostic on these two. Temps (interior and exterior) are so variable that I figure hyper-accuracy is not really meaningful. Therefore, your current descriptions are fine with me since I won't be going here.

A/C evaporator control
*AUTOMATIC* / MANUAL

Yeah, this one is pretty bad. The evaporator is a part of the A/C system... and I think this setting effectively means whether you want the A/C to turn on automatically. But I don't know under what conditions. If you figure it out by trying it, let me know and I'll change the name to something more descriptive. This is one of those "vague" ones I was talking about. They come from badly translated Japanese, mostly...
Let's put this on the "To Be Addressed" (TBA) list for further testing, discussion, and clarification.

A/C ECO mode
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

I never really understood this ECO mode. A bunch of the settings are related to that. How does a driver activate/deactivate this mode, and what does it mean to be in this mode? Apparently it affects the heated seats as well.
The LS460 has 5 operating modes: ECO, COMFORT, [Normal], SPORT, SPORT +
The modes basically control transmission shift points, steering response, and suspension components in models equipped with the related active components. ECO, the least aggressive car setup in order to improve fuel efficiency, also places limits on AC compressor operation (LESS), max. fan speed (LOWER), and the seat heaters (NOT AS HOT?) from what you say.

Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on
*YES* / NO

Beautifully clear.

Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)
*YES* / NO

This one corresponds to "Auto A/C Mode" from the LPS PDF. How should I name it? Maybe something like "Use A/C if needed when climate control is in AUTO mode"? Or maybe an inverted version: "Disable A/C in AUTO mode"?
From conversations on other Lexus model forums here, I believe this setting controls whether the Auto button controls AC compressor operation (on/off). Note, you can still run fan and outlet selection independent of AC compressor operating status. This setting allows owners to control compressor operation without having to go into the Climate screen using the RTI (mouse). Clearer phrasing is definitely needed here.

Deactivate front defroster when AUTO button pressed
*YES* / NO

Good

Also blow to feet in face mode
*YES* / NO

Good, but I'd like someone to try this out and tell me how exactly it affects the vents. My understanding is that if you set the middle vents on the dash to be on, this will also blow air through the footwell vents. And I would expect when this is set to "NO", the vents will be individually selectable, with no dependencies between them.
Another one for the TBA list. I'll be happy to check it out for you.

Auto-activate steering-wheel heater
YES / *NO*

When does the steering-wheel heater get activated when this is on? Is it when the climate control is set to blow warm air? Or does this setting make the steering-wheel heater activate when it detects that it's necessary (e.g. when cabin temp is low, regardless of climate control setting)?

Steering-wheel heater activation threshold
MUCH WARMER / WARMER / *NORMAL* / COLDER / MUCH COLDER

This is the temperature threshold at which the previous setting would make the steering-wheel heater activate automatically. To make it more sensitive (i.e. engage even when it's not that cold), use the "MUCH WARMER" value. I'm open to suggestions. Would it be clearer if the values were "MOST SENSITIVE / SENSITIVE / NORMAL / LESS SENSITIVE / LEAST SENSITIVE"?
Another one for the TBA. I'll look into its operation and get back to you with results, if any.

Thank you very much for your well-considered and germane comments. I think we'll make rapid progress on Carista's handling of the Lexus models since most have such similar slates of settings. I really appreciate the opportunity to work directly with a software developer to improve the app.

Last edited by williakz; 06-19-14 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-20-14, 07:47 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Thanks very much williakz. I'll come up with an updated list and let you know. If you're able to test the TBA stuff, please post your results here. I'd be glad to go over the other categories too, if you're up for it
Old 06-20-14, 02:33 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope this can help:

LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings-ok3kat2.jpg

-Joe
Old 06-20-14, 04:22 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! That Evaporator Control setting sound interesting. Anyone have any theories?

Also, seems like there's some conflation of Evaporator Control and Compressor Control here in the forums and maybe in Carista as well.

Thanks for all, Joe.
Old 06-23-14, 01:16 AM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Evap control setting to Manual means:
---when vent selector is set on foot/front windshield defrost, or dedicated front windshield defrost, A/C compressor is ON to dehumidify air regardless of temperature setting, regardless if A/C button is activated in Climate control.
---when set to Auto means:
when vent selector is set on foot/front windshield defrost, or dedicated front windshield defrost, A/C compressor is at the vehicle's control, vehicle will cycle A/C on and off to save energy and to keep air somewhat dehumidified

Most if not all A/C equipped vehicles automatically sets A/C on when vent is set at foot/front windshield or full frontwindshield regardless of what the A/C light says the A/C is on or not, regardless of temperature.

If you don't believe me, select foot/front windshield or full front windshield on a hot day and turn the fan on and temp set low, try whatever you like to keep the A/C off, you will get cooled dehumidified air (yes in the winter time the A/C will be on even though you're blasting full heat, A/C does not mean cool air, it only extracts moisture from the air and cooling air as a side effect). Then change the only variable which is the vent position, to Face only and then feel the air get hotter.

Last edited by Persocon; 06-23-14 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 08:00 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Persocon

Evap control setting to Manual means:
---when vent selector is set on foot/front windshield defrost, or dedicated front windshield defrost, A/C compressor is ON to dehumidify air regardless of temperature setting, regardless if A/C button is activated in Climate control.
---when set to Auto means:
when vent selector is set on foot/front windshield defrost, or dedicated front windshield defrost, A/C compressor is at the vehicle's control, vehicle will cycle A/C on and off to save energy and to keep air somewhat dehumidified
Might be a tough one for Mr. C to describe in a short sentence...

Thanks for the info. (And why wouldn't people believe you?)
Old 06-23-14, 10:30 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

This is an awesome thread but I can't help but think:

KONAMI UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A SELECT START and then your LS has 30 lives on CONTRA
Old 06-23-14, 11:51 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Still doesn't hold a candle (or a thrown torch!) to coding a BMW...

Last edited by williakz; 06-23-14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 02:33 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys! I think I'll have to try that on my friend's RX. So maybe the evaporator control name should be "A/C in windshield defroster mode": MAX A/C / AUTOMATIC

About BMW coding - it is RIDICULOUS!!! We just started looking into it for Carista (and I also bought an older M3 today for personal use!) and it's just a nightmare. If you ever thought using Techstream on your Lexus was user-unfriendly, you should see BMW's system... Oh well, all the more opportunity for Carista to shine
Old 07-25-14, 05:01 PM
Supernova1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review! Btw, the setting to enable/disable the auto slide/tilt of the steering wheel is coming up in the next version of Carista (and will be a free update to existing users). Actually, I'll have a beta version available for you guys that includes that setting very soon - probably this week.

About the issue you ran into when changing settings: it's definitely NOT normal to have to back out of the app between changing settings (unless you're turning off the ignition or something). Please try it again and press the "Report problem" button when you see an error message. That will allow you to send me a log of what happened with the communication and I'll be able to diagnose it better (and make sure you include your email or at least forum name so I know who sent it). Thanks.
I picked up the OBDII Module and the Carista app sees all of the settings in my 07 LS460 EXCEPT the daytime running lights. That was the only reason I ever wanted it.
Old 07-25-14, 05:03 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supernova1
I picked up the OBDII Module and the Carista app sees all of the settings in my 07 LS460 EXCEPT the daytime running lights. That was the only reason I ever wanted it.
That's because your car is a Canadian model. Canadian models don't offer the DRL setting - not through Carista and not through the dealer software. Sorry
Old 07-25-14, 06:01 PM
Supernova1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's because your car is a Canadian model. Canadian models don't offer the DRL setting - not through Carista and not through the dealer software. Sorry
Well thank you for the fast reply! Your software is still pretty amazing!!! The ability to customize is pretty great! Thanks again!!
Old 08-06-14, 08:40 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Still doesn't hold a candle (or a thrown torch!) to coding a BMW...
Yeah, but you have to know German if using E-SYS!

Please pardon my ignorance, but can I buy and use this app on my android tablet if I buy the OBDII dongle/plug-in thingie? Does the dongle provide allow the tablet to speak to the port?

What would I have to buy to do this?

Thanks

Last edited by FreddyG; 08-06-14 at 08:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings