LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Air Suspension

Old 04-04-14, 07:00 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
I think my setup went for about 9k installed, but i purchased the ilevel with this same package
I think that's about right. Mine was probably 1k less. Now I just did a quick search on airrex and the cost of a kit with management and the upper pillow ball mount and it was $5705 retail. That's directly from the link on their website that directs you to an online distributor.
Old 04-05-14, 05:08 AM
pitbu111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
No I don't think so. There hasn't been anything on the boards about being able to control it like that. I know for a fact you can adjust the factory sensors at each corner to lower the car. Skipper even sells different sensor links to fool the system to level lower.
I tried messing with the link adjustments but was not a success. My boy brought his scan tool to my house and actually dropped each side down. I saw him input the height readings down. He did other stuff on that computer other than adjusting height readings but I felt that his approach was real simple because there was no need to adjust any links at all. I'll let u guys know how well it runs in a few months. As for now its perfect.
Old 04-05-14, 08:29 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbu111
I tried messing with the link adjustments but was not a success. My boy brought his scan tool to my house and actually dropped each side down. I saw him input the height readings down. He did other stuff on that computer other than adjusting height readings but I felt that his approach was real simple because there was no need to adjust any links at all. I'll let u guys know how well it runs in a few months. As for now its perfect.
Is this something everyone can do? Or do we have to know tech guy and have him do it on the sly? All I want is about 1/2" lower all the way around. Let us know how yours works out. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-05-14, 11:08 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you looked into buying a DataSystems Controller A/S?

You can raise and lower the car at will, it's a temporary solution until you get an aftermarket A/S set-up.
Old 04-06-14, 06:50 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so I know some of you guys have been waiting for my input on this topic. I've tended to **** people off on my opinion on things because I feel my decisions are uncompromising when it comes to my car.

So my setup is Airrunner Basics with Accuair Elevel Vu4 air management. Just on a company standpoint their representation/image in the scene is extremely professional. I've scene many unprofessional words being said by other air suspension system distributors/dealers directed at both companies. Things that I know are targeting Airrunner and Accuair but without saying the company directly. Things like how much more they cost, how you have to install hard to install level sensors, and how their bags blow but only have that one picture of a guy who's face is blurred and and a story behind it stating his bag blew while working on or under his car. I have my speculations about that picture but I'll leave it at that. Why bash anther company to promote another. The product by itself should speak for itself. If the sensors are installed by someone who's experienced it shouldn't be a problem. As for cost...we aren't talking about a cheap car. So the price of the parts actually fit. I wouldn't compromise on something cheaper if you really wanted the more expensive parts to begin with. You'll end up spending the money twice and it was something you really didn't want to begin with...so save a few months longer to get what you want.

Ok so for how my setup rides...I feel it rides great! Better than stock in my opinion. I didn't go with the OTG kit like Nat did because I really don't drive that low. I drive my car way more than Nat does and go through tires more often. The longer those tires last me the better. Driving as much as I do and if i did drive as low as Nat I'd be going through tires even more often. But what I spent more on was the management system. Ask Nat and he'll probably tell you he wished he had the Elevel system. One push of a button and it's at drive/aligned height regardless of how much weight is in the car. With pressure based systems at a preset pressure it'll be at certain height with no one in the car but will be lower and uneven with people in the car. I can have my car packed with 5 people and it'll be at drive height regardless. And the elevel system will keep the car level when people enter or leave the car. When people ride in my car people can't tell the suspension is modified at all until they see it aired out parked.

Are their any con's with my setup? hmm it's hard to say because i've had nothing but good experience with it.
How much do you drive and how low do you drive? I like to drive low, but I drive 60+ miles round trip everyday to work. I wonder if I'll be needing new tires every two months or something.
Old 04-06-14, 06:58 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

I was able to ride in most of the applications mentioned. Stock air, to coilovers with air, to phantom cup setup, to airrex and air runner basic and air runner on the ground setup that i am currently running on my car. In my opinion air runner had the best ride quality over all both basic and on the ground. It was not floaty or to stiff just a perfect mix of both. But i did notice that after I installed my T Demand arms it got a little more stiff but not bad. Airrex and coilovers with bags rode just about the same both having a little float to them but they varied on what bag was installed. Phantom cup was like riding on coilovers. I opted for airrunner since i knew how they rode with my prior car and with a big car like ours i wanted it to ride like luxury.
Sounds like you've gotten experience with all of the suspensions we can use. Even considering the price difference, it seems like a lot of people are still choosing Air Runner. Definitely sounds like the way to go for our cars.

How is everything going with the T Demand arms? Any issues at all? Did it fix issues that arose with the stock setup?
Old 04-06-14, 07:00 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Wsup broken. As for now I went to my boy at the Lexus dealership to adjust the height readings down so my car can drop a few inches. So far so good but I still need to bring it in to tweak a little, one side is off by about 1/4 inch, not a big deal but would like to get it as close as possible. As for the ride comfort, it's not the best but will do for now. The positive thing about this is that it only costed me $80 bucks for the hookup lol.

Btw my only option for aftermarket is Airrunners- Not a single company other than airrunners make aftermarket kits to fit my 2009 AWD LS. Oh well, I'll be happy with the airrunners!
I have the controller for the stock air. It works, but it's just too slow and I'd like to tuck just a LITTLE more.
Old 04-06-14, 03:01 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi

How much do you drive and how low do you drive? I like to drive low, but I drive 60+ miles round trip everyday to work. I wonder if I'll be needing new tires every two months or something.
I always put the data controller on NORMAL SELECT mode when driving on highway for more than 10 miles or so. When in that mode, the car by oem design automatically lowers the car. Unless you are trying to floss on the highway, just raise it to normal mode and then use the presets to bring you back down when you exit the freeway...tires saved. My 22s are less than $600 shipped all 4 for 255/30/22 and 305/25/22 sizes. Had these Delinte Tires for quite a few miles and hardly any sign of wear and they are just as quiet as my old Continental DWS' s. I drive between level 3 and 5 depending on my mood while in town commuting
Old 04-06-14, 07:54 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I put 10k a year on the car. I go through a set every 2 years or so with flipping the tires. That's when the car was just lowered on springs.
Old 04-06-14, 10:06 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I know some of you guys have been waiting for my input on this topic. I've tended to **** people off on my opinion on things because I feel my decisions are uncompromising when it comes to my car.

So my setup is Airrunner Basics with Accuair Elevel Vu4 air management. Just on a company standpoint their representation/image in the scene is extremely professional. I've scene many unprofessional words being said by other air suspension system distributors/dealers directed at both companies. Things that I know are targeting Airrunner and Accuair but without saying the company directly. Things like how much more they cost, how you have to install hard to install level sensors, and how their bags blow but only have that one picture of a guy who's face is blurred and and a story behind it stating his bag blew while working on or under his car. I have my speculations about that picture but I'll leave it at that. Why bash anther company to promote another. The product by itself should speak for itself. If the sensors are installed by someone who's experienced it shouldn't be a problem. As for cost...we aren't talking about a cheap car. So the price of the parts actually fit. I wouldn't compromise on something cheaper if you really wanted the more expensive parts to begin with. You'll end up spending the money twice and it was something you really didn't want to begin with...so save a few months longer to get what you want.

Ok so for how my setup rides...I feel it rides great! Better than stock in my opinion. I didn't go with the OTG kit like Nat did because I really don't drive that low. I drive my car way more than Nat does and go through tires more often. The longer those tires last me the better. Driving as much as I do and if i did drive as low as Nat I'd be going through tires even more often. But what I spent more on was the management system. Ask Nat and he'll probably tell you he wished he had the Elevel system. One push of a button and it's at drive/aligned height regardless of how much weight is in the car. With pressure based systems at a preset pressure it'll be at certain height with no one in the car but will be lower and uneven with people in the car. I can have my car packed with 5 people and it'll be at drive height regardless. And the elevel system will keep the car level when people enter or leave the car. When people ride in my car people can't tell the suspension is modified at all until they see it aired out parked.

Are their any con's with my setup? hmm it's hard to say because i've had nothing but good experience with it.
I agree with you on many things stated.

I started out with BC coils and UAS bags with Accuair E-Level. I didn't like the ride too much so I bought Airrex struts. The ride quality basically feels the same, but the Airrex doesn't operate as quiet as the UAS bags.

The Airrex has a "popping" noise when you inflate the bags. They told me I have to adjust the height of the struts to solve this, but I'm thinking if I do then the bags will need to ride with more air in them and the ride quality will suck. You can't adjust the lower bag mount on it. At least with the UAS you can adjust both the height of the coils, and the lower bag mount to play around with bag pressure at any given height.

I didn't wanna deal with swapping the struts again so I sold off the UAS bags, and now I'm still trying to get rid of the BC coils.

Wish I had the guts to spend all that dough on Air Runner struts from the beginning. The quote for the OTG struts was just as much as my whole system right now! But I'm sure it would have been worth it.
Old 04-07-14, 02:46 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Sounds like you've gotten experience with all of the suspensions we can use. Even considering the price difference, it seems like a lot of people are still choosing Air Runner. Definitely sounds like the way to go for our cars.

How is everything going with the T Demand arms? Any issues at all? Did it fix issues that arose with the stock setup?
The T Demand arms fixed all of my issues that i had. Only issue i had was removal of the hub assembly on the old knuckle. It seemed like the dissimilar metals fused together with made it nearly impossible to take out. So a diy would be a no go unless you have a hydraulic press at home or access to one. I didnt have any issues with the stock setup i just wanted to be able to go more aggressive with wheel selection and correct my alignment without burning through tires.
Old 04-07-14, 03:46 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

...It seemed like the dissimilar metals fused together with made it nearly impossible to take out...
For future reference, the light application of a product like "Lubriplate" on both mating surfaces should mitigate any component fusion in the future.
Old 04-09-14, 02:03 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Well put Elvin
Old 04-15-14, 03:07 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I always put the data controller on NORMAL SELECT mode when driving on highway for more than 10 miles or so. When in that mode, the car by oem design automatically lowers the car. Unless you are trying to floss on the highway, just raise it to normal mode and then use the presets to bring you back down when you exit the freeway...tires saved. My 22s are less than $600 shipped all 4 for 255/30/22 and 305/25/22 sizes. Had these Delinte Tires for quite a few miles and hardly any sign of wear and they are just as quiet as my old Continental DWS' s. I drive between level 3 and 5 depending on my mood while in town commuting
My car lowers on the highway, whether in normal or not. I like to ride low everywhere, not just in town though.
Old 04-15-14, 03:12 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
I agree with you on many things stated.

I started out with BC coils and UAS bags with Accuair E-Level. I didn't like the ride too much so I bought Airrex struts. The ride quality basically feels the same, but the Airrex doesn't operate as quiet as the UAS bags.

The Airrex has a "popping" noise when you inflate the bags. They told me I have to adjust the height of the struts to solve this, but I'm thinking if I do then the bags will need to ride with more air in them and the ride quality will suck. You can't adjust the lower bag mount on it. At least with the UAS you can adjust both the height of the coils, and the lower bag mount to play around with bag pressure at any given height.

I didn't wanna deal with swapping the struts again so I sold off the UAS bags, and now I'm still trying to get rid of the BC coils.

Wish I had the guts to spend all that dough on Air Runner struts from the beginning. The quote for the OTG struts was just as much as my whole system right now! But I'm sure it would have been worth it.
How bad is the ride quality? Bouncy or what?

I am in between a rock and a hard place on what the next big purchase is going to be due to the cost of everything and I don't want to skimp anywhere.

Basically, I need body work to get the fenders how I want them, but I need camber so that I can get the body work done once and the way I want it to look. I also need aftermarket air since this controller and stock suspension is only going to last so long, especially with the abuse that it takes being raised and lowered often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Suspension