LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 01:58 PM
fitted
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AznRacer
Totally agree. Give us an idea of whats your budget?
My budget is around 4 to 5 thousand.
Old 07-06-14, 03:06 PM
fitted
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
What's is your budget? Are you planning on doing the install or having it installed? If your planning on doing the install do you have experience in installing suspension, wiring?
Some choices are airrunner, airrex, universal air suspension, Air Force, k-sport or what i did which is platinum vip cup kit.
What is a platinum vip cup kit?
Old 07-06-14, 07:42 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fitted
What is a platinum vip cup kit?
The platinum vip phantom cup kit are aluminum cups that sit on the top of the spring on your coilovers. When you press the up this allows air to enter into the aluminum cup and raise the car. Think of it as an aluminum air bag instead of a rubber air bag. A lot of the air cups only allow you to drive air down, drive around on coilovers untill you reach an obstacle then you air up to clear it. With the platinum vip cup kit you can drive with them aired up, but doing so does increase the spring rate making for a rougher ride. I drive around aired up about an inch to inch and a half and the ride is great.
I personally decided on them as apposed to air bags because my car is a daily driver. If a compressor, solenoid, or other issue happens and I can't air up, all I have to do is raise the spring to proper ride height and I can drive home.
Are you going to be installing the air ride yourself? Need to know this as the reliability is only as good as the parts and install.

Last edited by is150; 07-06-14 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 11:18 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fitted
My budget is around 4 to 5 thousand.
That's a pretty low budget even for the cheaper brands. I have airrunner and accuair management which retails around $6000 for parts alone. The labor on top of that.
Old 07-07-14, 06:43 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Nat and Elvin Air runner does have a very smooth riding kit. The sleeve bags along with being installed on a KYB damper does make a huge difference as with response and rebound. Even the OTG is designed with the same KYB shock but is threaded on the bottom so it still retains The OEM ride when riding low. You do get what you pay for in the end. I have sold and installed most air kits on the market but most won't spend the extra money for these types of kits. I think you should really consider what you want to spend and go from there, but remember you paid 80-110k for you LS so 4-8k to keep the OEM ride is not bad, plus at 1100 to replace the OEM struts aftermarket air is a better choice.
Old 07-14-14, 01:19 AM
mlum808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airrex Is made for each car and valved for each car. We did a few Airrex LS460s in Hawaii on full Airrex and the ride is no that mushy type of ride, it rides and handles like a sports car but the ride is still nice. It provides more of an preformace feel becuase we valve each appication to coil over specs for each car using Airrex Bags.

IF you want that OEM feeling soft type of ride go Air runner.

But just to let you know we have had a few guy replace there old setups with Airrex and they claim is rides and feels better.
Old 07-14-14, 08:02 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mlum808
Airrex Is made for each car and valved for each car. We did a few Airrex LS460s in Hawaii on full Airrex and the ride is no that mushy type of ride, it rides and handles like a sports car but the ride is still nice. It provides more of an preformace feel becuase we valve each appication to coil over specs for each car using Airrex Bags.

IF you want that OEM feeling soft type of ride go Air runner.

But just to let you know we have had a few guy replace there old setups with Airrex and they claim is rides and feels better.
Did airrex ever figure out what cause the popping noise coming from the struts?
Old 08-20-15, 02:30 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMikee
If you don't want to ride on bags, go with air cup suspenion.
A completely bag-less system, Ive gor mine from: http://www.stanceparts.com/air-cup-suspension/
Works great, drive low, and lift when i need to!
You have it on your LS460? If so, how does it ride? Any pic?
Old 08-20-15, 04:41 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
You have it on your LS460? If so, how does it ride? Any pic?
I've daily driven my ls460 with the platinum VIP air cup kit (front only) aired up for a year and a half now. Love the cups and couldn't be happier. I only raise the car about 2 inches to drive and fully air up 3 inches to pull into my driveway. Driving with air in the cups (only enough to raise the front 2 inches) feels firm, but nothing over the top. I would say my wife's sh-awd TL rode stiffer and I have stretched tires on 22x9.5 and 22x11.
I plan on getting a set for the rear soon.