LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2009 LS460 tire TPMS service pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 07:20 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Question 2009 LS460 tire TPMS service pack

Replaced four tires (Michellin Pilot Sport AS 3) today at Costco for my LS460 (2009). the store does not have the TPMS service pack today, so they did not replace the service pack for the TPMS.

One guy told me to come back and install the new service pack in one week, but another guy said that it is not necessary to replace the service pack, they only need to be replaced every 6 years.

A bit confused. I was the last customer and did not get much time for more questions. Probably will go check with the dealer about it.

Any comments/ideas, Thanks a lot for your help,
Old 04-02-14, 09:34 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service packs are a CYA liability issue for tire shops. They don't know how much time or under what conditions your TPMS has been operating. So they adopt a blanket policy of replacing the rubber gaskets that seal the valve/TPMS to the rim. Unfortunately, they neglect to keep adequate stock of all the various kits for all the various cars. If you've been running for a reasonable time under normal conditions, you should have no issues with the original seals.

The other issue, where service pack installation DOES make some sense, occurs when the tire shop loosens the entire valve/TPMS setup prior to removing the tire (actually they push the works INTO the tire). They do this because once upon a time when TPMS first came out, some OEMs kludged them into their rims without concern for how tire stripping machines worked. After destroying the TPMS sensors as well as the rims, tire shops got a bit gun-shy and began loosening and hiding the valve/TPMS prior to tire removal. Obviously, when you unscrew the valve, you decompress the gasket and likely ruin its ability to reseal if used again. Thus, the reason for service pack installation.

So, if your old tires were stripped without breaking the valve stem seal, you're all set. If, on the other hand, the shop broke the seal and re-used the old ones after stripping the tires, then I'd recommend getting new seals (service packs) installed. Hope this helps as it took me a few days and several tire guys to dope it all out a few years back.
Old 04-03-14, 03:06 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

TPMS rebuild kits are like 7.50 per wheel at Discount tire and at most tire shops less then 10.00 per wheel.

When replacing tires...install a new rebuild kit! Your paying over a grand for new tires, a $30-40 investment is a no brainer.
Old 04-03-14, 07:09 AM
texas008
Advanced

Default Summary of incident

Thanks a lot for the information.

Based on what I've learned from the internet and your advice:
It is necessary to replace the TPMS service pack when installing new tires.

Seems Costco tire shop did not do a professional job replacing my tires in that:
1. they did not perform this necessary step
2. they did not inform me before hand so that I could stop by later

The whole story is:

1. When first approaching the Costco tire shop, the service guy said that they will replace the seal of the TPMS
2. I placed order of 4 tires online (they dont have them in stock)
3. Tires arrived in 4 days,
4. Called Costco, they asked me to stop by before 7pm so that the job can be done before 830pm
5. Stopped by costco 620pm
6. Towards the end of installation, installer told me that they did not install the service pack, since they dont have them in store, he asked me to stop by later when they have them

I've complained to Costco customer service by email,

and will get the service pack installed soon,

Now hopefully mounting/de-mounting the new tires twice won't do damage to the tires.

Thanks for reading..
Old 04-03-14, 08:00 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

It won't damage the tires but you'd think they's order the TPMS seals when they ordered tires. The real pain is you had to go back twice - I guess your time isn't worth much to them.
Old 04-03-14, 08:37 AM
texas008
Advanced

Default thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by sktn77a
It won't damage the tires but you'd think they's order the TPMS seals when they ordered tires. The real pain is you had to go back twice - I guess your time isn't worth much to them.
Thanks for the advice, will spare no effort getting it right.

So next time before ordering any service, better confirm that all the necessary steps are followed --- that's why i really prefer DIY, just can not work on tires myself..
Old 04-03-14, 09:16 AM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Originally Posted by texas008

It is necessary to replace the TPMS service pack when installing new tires.

and will get the service pack installed soon,

Now hopefully mounting/de-mounting the new tires twice won't do damage to the tires.
As I tried to explain, unless the shop has loosened the valve/TPMS and pushed it into the tire prior to stripping off the old tires, service packs are unnecessary. You seem to think they ARE necessary in all events. Could you please explain where you got the information that convinced you of this? I talked to many tire guys and they gave me the TPMS/tire history I outlined above. Thanks in advance for any info/links you can provide.

It's now entirely your choice on whether to have the service packs installed. This is quite unusual as "store policy" generally requires their installation. There is, however, an old saying about letting sleeping dogs lie. So as far as the service packs and another mounting cycle, I would carefully consider Bowser snoozing away in the corner.
Old 04-03-14, 09:35 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Discount tire does it whenever new tires are installed and the price mentioned above is spot on....it's just standard procedure to do the rebuild kits. May or may not be needed, but it does have a valid purpose. Those components do wear and need replacement at some point. Complete New PMV 107J sensors can be purchased for less than $100 for a set of 4 on ebay..check wheel/tire faq thread
Old 04-03-14, 10:04 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

They have to unseat the seal on the TPMS valve stem to let the air out. Unless they pushed the little button to slowly let air out, which I doubt they did. There is no question, replace the seals when you put new tires on. Which is what they call a TPMS rebuild kit.

Second, I personally wouldn't buy my tires at Costco. Is the same guy that stocks the frozen foods changing your tires? Maybe not, but my luck it would be! I prefer discount tire where this is what they specialize in. Free balance and rotation, in and out in 20min or less. Stores all over the country if I need a repair.

The Discount tire in my town is awesome, so helpful, nice and professional.
Old 04-03-14, 10:37 AM
texas008
Advanced

Default thanks

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
They have to unseat the seal on the TPMS valve stem to let the air out. Unless they pushed the little button to slowly let air out, which I doubt they did. There is no question, replace the seals when you put new tires on. Which is what they call a TPMS rebuild kit.

Second, I personally wouldn't buy my tires at Costco. Is the same guy that stocks the frozen foods changing your tires? Maybe not, but my luck it would be! I prefer discount tire where this is what they specialize in. Free balance and rotation, in and out in 20min or less. Stores all over the country if I need a repair.

The Discount tire in my town is awesome, so helpful, nice and professional.
Will definitely use discount tires next time replacing my tires, thanks a lot for the information.
I used Costco only because of trusting the brand name,
Old 04-03-14, 11:06 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i would buy tires from costco.. costco doesn't sell cheap tires. Also, I am pretty sure they are as qualified or more qualified than the fellas at discount tire.

i do 95% of my tire business at discount tire because they have many more locations than costco, but quality wise, I think costco guys take their time doing the work.

another plus for costco is that they fill the tires with nitrogen. I don't really care for it, but if it's free, why not.
Old 04-03-14, 11:41 AM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Originally Posted by slimjimtel

They have to unseat the seal on the TPMS valve stem to let the air out.

There is no question, replace the seals when you put new tires on.
Huh? Pulling the valve from a valve stem has NOTHING to do with the valve stem gasket which seals the valve stem body to the tire rim. There is indeed a question (the OP's) as to whether a service pack (valve body seal replacement) is needed at all during routine tire replacement.
Old 04-03-14, 12:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i would buy tires from costco.. costco doesn't sell cheap tires. Also, I am pretty sure they are as qualified or more qualified than the fellas at discount tire.

i do 95% of my tire business at discount tire because they have many more locations than costco, but quality wise, I think costco guys take their time doing the work.

another plus for costco is that they fill the tires with nitrogen. I don't really care for it, but if it's free, why not.
In my case, Costco is 10 times better than Discount Tire in my area. I will never go to Discount Tire again.
Old 04-03-14, 05:09 PM
texas008
Advanced

Smile Latest update

Got email response and then phone call from Costco, within 20 hours of my sending email to them.

The store manager called me very nicely and apologized, and promised to talk to the tire center to arrange the installation of the TPMS service packs, also offered that my car being serviced asap without waiting in the line. Sounds good to me. Thanks Costco, that's the quality of product/service I usually associate with Costco. Will wait and see when they will arrange for the service.

Thanks for reading..
Old 04-04-14, 01:49 PM
texas008
Advanced

Default replaced the service pack

The TPMS service kits for four tires were installed, the tires re-balanced, and installed, today at Costco. Thanks..

Quick Reply: 2009 LS460 tire TPMS service pack