LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Interior Quality

Old 04-05-14, 05:59 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior Quality

We tend to talk on the forum about how good Lexus quality is compared to other makes but I have to say that I am not impressed with the quality of the plastic used on the door armrests of the "non all leather models". I currently have a 2010 LS460L AWD with 31,000 miles and both arm rests in the front are in bad shape. The color alabaster (off white) has worn through in a number of places. At first I thought is was just dirty but it is clear that the "painted" finish has worn through.

Previously I owned a LS430 with cashmere interior and had the same issue.

We have other much cheaper cars in the family fleet with higher miles and pale interiors but do not have this issue. The reason is that the color seems to be solid rather than just a surface paint in the case of the Lexus.

This might seem picky but on a car of this price and position in the market place, I am surprised that the quality of the finish is so poor.

I have talked with the dealer and they are unwilling to help stating that it is normal wear and tear.

Is this a common issue?
Old 04-05-14, 06:53 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do agree the material in the LS is fragile compared to my ES (materials are less soft). Softer quality materials comes with a price, it is not forgiven. But, maintenance is key, i use leather and plastic protectants regularly and it works.
Old 04-05-14, 07:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

When the painted finish wears off, just repaint it. Get a premium latex sample with a color match from Home Depot and carefully repaint the worn area. Apply with a brush and almost immediately wipe it off with a paper towel. The paint must be thinned enought that it doesn't dry immediately and before it becomes dry. Wiping it off will allow a very thin layer of paint on the top but also allow paint to fill the creases where the "wear" is most obvious. This should last for several months,and when it wears off, just repaint it again. The seats come with a polyurethen finish and applying conditioners don't do anything other than help take the finish off.

I know this sounds crazy to think that one would actually "paint" the interior of a luxury car, but that's just what an upholstery person would do if you took it to him to repair!
Old 04-05-14, 08:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

None of this is unique to Lexus. Guys on the Bimmerfest forum were dealing with the same issues, especially the sills and other lower trim pieces.
Old 04-06-14, 05:36 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The "B-Pillar issue" is a result of this also. Strangely, I see the wrinkling/deformation on my B pillar is on the passenger side, not the driver side(?) My wife's Prius has the same issues on the drivers and passenger door armrests.

What'cha gonna do???
Old 04-06-14, 03:21 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am thinking of trying this to make a repair http://www.classicdyeproducts.com/le...olorrepair_kit

If you click on Lexus, then all of the colors for the various model years show up.
Old 04-06-14, 03:39 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm trying to imagine what you are talking about. Can you post a picture of the part that has paint coming off?
Old 04-06-14, 04:55 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The "B-Pillar issue" is a result of this also. Strangely, I see the wrinkling/deformation on my B pillar is on the passenger side, not the driver side(?) My wife's Prius has the same issues on the drivers and passenger door armrests.

What'cha gonna do???
Lexus released a TSIB for the B-Pillar back in 08.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...rnish-wear.pdf
Old 04-06-14, 04:55 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bummer, I have 68K on mine and no wear anywhere..
Old 04-06-14, 05:47 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tee
Lexus released a TSIB for the B-Pillar back in 08.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...rnish-wear.pdf
Thanks Tee. Yes, I'm aware of this. Unfortunately, my car is out of the original 4year/50k warranty.
Old 04-07-14, 09:10 AM
RogerN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Interior Quality

The material used on the LS460 seats, console and armrests is a big disappointment and seems inexcusable for a Lexus. Since it was a Lexus, I assumed it was leather. Lesson learned for when I shop for a replacement.

I have the cashmere interior and have had to deal with color transfer from jeans, belts and leather jackets. When I mentioned it to the dealer I was shocked when they said that: 1) it wasn't leather and 2) they could repaint it. When I asked if that wouldn't only just reset the problem with the staining starting over, they agreed.

My recent issue is a quarter sized hole through the plastic or vinyl material in the driver's armrest exposing orange foam just like in an old Chevy. I paid them to repair it as best they could with a filler and paint, but as they predicted, it doesn't quite match in texture or color. I looked into replacing just the armrest but it is not available. You have to order the entire door panel including the switches for about $2,500 plus labor.

I had no issues with my LS400 and loved the car. This seems just another in the list of 2007 LS460 issues (e.g., plumbing, wind noise, valve springs, programming, etc.)
Old 04-07-14, 10:54 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Well, the seating surfaces are leather, but the rest (sides, back and most of the soft trim) is vinyl. That was the way my 99 RX and 08 IS was also. Not sure about the front and rear center armrests. Could be worse.... did you ever see the seat covers of the HS? I was all ready to get one for my wife until she saw the interior!
Old 04-07-14, 11:20 AM
geekhou05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with the Ecru interior on the LS430. I just made sure that my LS460 would have the extra package.

I was able to get it to a crisp clean, but the damage was already done to the handle portion.
Old 04-07-14, 07:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Well, the seating surfaces are leather, but the rest (sides, back and most of the soft trim) is vinyl.
Same with my 7 series BMW and my wifes BMW X5. This is standard drill on most cars in our price bracket.
Old 04-07-14, 07:47 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Interestingly, my 2001 BMW 530i had real leather on the seat fronts, sides and door panels (the backs were a molded plastic part). I suspect the newer one don't, though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Quality