LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Courtesy light not working after LED swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 05:16 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Interested in what you find to be the final fix.
But are you sure the test light is good or you are making good connection with the contacts when you test it?
Only thing that makes sense to me is you got a oversized or bad LED. Pushed it in and it bent the socket connectors. Would explain why the oem bulb cant now get a good contact.
But still learning about all Led's. Recently I installed LED bulbs in my garage door opener. All the remotes would not work when the lights were on. Found out it was caused by the leds. They put out a radio signal and should not be used in garage door openers. But in some cases they do work. But don't think this has anything to do with your problem.
Old 03-26-14, 07:50 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWalt
no blown fuses, all the 3 other doors lights are fine. Since they are on the same circuit the fuse is good. its almost as if I received a bad led and its tripped or shorted that section of the circuit.

Gonna try to bend back the metal pieces on the oem bulb tonight if i get off early enough, but my test light didn't find power on the plug so I doubt thats gonna be it.

Had to walk away from the car last night, to frustrated that something so simple had become a nightmare.
Well, it is a long shot, but the door jamb switches on many of the cars are defective. You need to verify that your door jamb switch is working. Frequently just manipulating it with your fingers will cause it to work.

Here is a link to a discussion that has some useful information about the door jamb switches: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rning-off.html

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-26-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 05:35 PM
BigWalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try that out thanks.

Been working some long hours guys so havent been able to mess with it.
Old 05-10-14, 08:35 AM
BigWalt
Driver

Ok so after many weeks of working long hours I was finally able to get my car to my cousin who was a Lexus tech.

Took it to the dealership with him on his day off.

Source of the problem was MULTIPLEX NETWORK DOOR COMPUTER Part number 89223-50300
about 500 dollars retail.

Going to work my jelly and check some sources and report back after I have a replacement part installed.

I suspect the problem was caused by the incorrect LED's I had ordered, I ordered "Error Free" LED's... How Ironic lol

I'm to scared to swap my LED's now so looks like I'll be sticking with my stocks for now.
Old 05-10-14, 11:27 AM
Lexus4me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you saying swapping LED bulb damaged your car part? can swapping LED bulb really cause anything to happen?

I am no expert but I always thought LED bulbs are plug and play and I have done many on the LS460 and my Acura carelessly and never had problem.
Old 05-10-14, 12:21 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Ok so after many weeks of working long hours I was finally able to get my car to my cousin who was a Lexus tech.

Took it to the dealership with him on his day off.

Source of the problem was MULTIPLEX NETWORK DOOR COMPUTER Part number 89223-50300
about 500 dollars retail.

Going to work my jelly and check some sources and report back after I have a replacement part installed.

I suspect the problem was caused by the incorrect LED's I had ordered, I ordered "Error Free" LED's... How Ironic lol

I'm to scared to swap my LED's now so looks like I'll be sticking with my stocks for now.
Do you understand that the "DOOR" switch in the overhead switch cluster must be in the state that the green LED in the switch is illuminated for the overhead lights to illuminate when the door is opened?
Old 05-11-14, 12:02 PM
BigWalt
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus4me
are you saying swapping LED bulb damaged your car part? can swapping LED bulb really cause anything to happen?

I am no expert but I always thought LED bulbs are plug and play and I have done many on the LS460 and my Acura carelessly and never had problem.
only thing I can figure, the ground going to the module is fried and was working before the bulb swap. The same bulbs also blew fuses in my trunk for the light which caused my rear left door to not lock because it cut off the power.

Only thing I can figure is because I bought those error free LED's, I have normal standard LED's in the puddle lights and nike lights and no issues at all.
Old 06-03-14, 11:25 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

only thing I can figure, the ground going to the module is fried and was working before the bulb swap. The same bulbs also blew fuses in my trunk for the light which caused my rear left door to not lock because it cut off the power.

Only thing I can figure is because I bought those error free LED's, I have normal standard LED's in the puddle lights and nike lights and no issues at all.
Big Walt, this is interesting. My left rear door closer and lock is not working anymore as well as my rear trunk courtesy lights. My door and overheads work fine. I wonder if my fuse is blown back in the trunk, but based on the fuse diagram, the trunk lights are on the same fuse as other lights that are working...strange
Old 06-04-14, 10:39 AM
BigWalt
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Big Walt, this is interesting. My left rear door closer and lock is not working anymore as well as my rear trunk courtesy lights. My door and overheads work fine. I wonder if my fuse is blown back in the trunk, but based on the fuse diagram, the trunk lights are on the same fuse as other lights that are working...strange
Correct thats what I saw as well but on my 08 we found a fuse in the trunk fuse block that was the issue.
Old 06-09-14, 11:04 AM
CJITTY

Correct thats what I saw as well but on my 08 we found a fuse in the trunk fuse block that was the issue.
Ok, which fuse block? Is it the one on the far left side of trunk "Fuse Block A" where the fuses are the different colors are nearly impossible to get to, or the ones that are more behind the back seat area behind the trunk liner that look like the bigger type of black and clear fuses? My car is at the dealership right now because I couldn't figure it out how to check the trunk "B" fuse block
Old 06-09-14, 02:15 PM
CJITTY

Ok, so it looks like my issue was identical to Big Walt's problem. My tech just told me that he replaced probably the same fuse on that left side block, under that body weld and he said everything seems to be working. It seems as if that multiplex block controls a whole bunch of stuff and if that doesn't get power, it's going to cause some crazy issues for items you wouldn't think would be related..especially when some stuff in the same area keeps working. I didn't have the LED bulb issue that triggered Big Walt's issue though, so i wonder what popped that fuse. Now I'm wondering if I have an exposed wire or something
Old 06-09-14, 05:35 PM
BigWalt
Driver

Glad there is some further proof now Was beginning to think I was crazy lol
Old 06-09-14, 06:46 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad there is some further proof now Was beginning to think I was crazy lol
What proof? Do you still believe the problem was the LEDs swap, and if so what brand did you buy?
Old 06-09-14, 06:54 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by SBlexus

What proof? Do you still believe the problem was the LEDs swap, and if so what brand did you buy?
I think he means the wiring gremlins causing so much havoc from one blown fuse...mine wasn't from an led bulb since I was running those for almost two years. This was some random stuff that happened. CPO handled it
Old 06-09-14, 07:10 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I think he means the wiring gremlins causing so much havoc from one blown fuse...mine wasn't from an led bulb since I was running those for almost two years. This was some random stuff that happened. CPO handled it
Yeah, I've been running leds going on 3years and knock on wood no issues at this point.

Quick Reply: Courtesy light not working after LED swap