LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Good deal on 2011 Lexus LS 460 L w/Exec package?

Old 03-17-14, 06:28 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Call your insurance agent or company, or as a last resort your DMV. All state laws are different.
Excellent advice. I've bought out-of-state before and in some states, the home state DMV won't take your money (believe it or not!). They WILL calculate the sales tax you'll owe, but the selling dealer has to collect it from you and mail it to the DMV along with "dealer's title" from manufacturer. Out-of-state car buyers MUST get their home state tax and registration procedures nailed down BEFORE purchase. Otherwise, you can end up in bureaucratic "jail" where you can't proceed and can't unwind the deal either. Watch out!
Old 03-17-14, 07:14 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great suggestions and advice everyone. I really appreciate your time. Guess Lexus owners are a smart bunch. The dealer is still insisting that I have to pay Santa Monica sales tax. I'll take nospinone's recommendation to stop asking the dealer and ask my insurance company or the DMV.

Btw, I currently own a 2008 ES. Drove my first LS last week and I was concerned I would be reminded of my ES, but not at all. Totally different experience and that is why I am currently in the market for a LS. My wife thinks I am nuts for wanting to travel long distance for the vehicle, but tried to explain there is low inventory around here and would have to compromise on aspects of the car just to get an LS.
Old 03-17-14, 07:32 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I have no issues buying out state, just the world we live in now. I bought my SWB from Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX and bought the current LWB in Littleton, CO. I will search coast to coast if it means finding what want at the price I'm willing to pay. Here in GA no matter where we buy the car we have to pay the county tax (7% for me) where we live, based on the value of the car by GA calculation. Make sure the finance person is knows the tax laws and you as well to make sure it's taking care of, in the end it will fall on you.
Old 03-18-14, 04:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just bought my LS from Maine. Drove 3 hours each way. Being from Mass, the dealer collected the taxes, and I took the plates off my trade. In Mass you can transfer plates from one car to another for 7 days provided you lose ownership of the original car.

After paying the taxes to the dealer, they sent me a check in that amount to bring to the Mass DMV.

Only issue I had was a 3 hr wait at my local DMV. Hate them.
Old 03-18-14, 05:09 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I saw the car you're talking about online. I don't think it's an incredible deal. It's a strange configuration to have the Executive package and no Advanced PCS or even regular PCS. They give that away free basically on other pre-owned cars. Its a $6400 option for A-PCS.

On a side note, you def want the car to have CPO. When things go wrong (and they will), it's very expensive to repair. Everything is covered under the CPO warranty. If you drive a lot of miles you might want to extend it to 125k miles and 5 years.
Old 03-18-14, 10:26 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice everyone. Here is the latest - I bought an LS460 today, but not the one out-of-state. I bought one locally. 2010 LS460 swb w/15k mi. non-ML for $41.2K. Overall I believe it was a fair deal. I was offered a 5yr/70k warranty (if i recall correctly) for $2100, but declined. I'll probably drive less than 7k mile annually. Does anyone have any thoughts on buying a warranty for this particular vehicle?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 03-19-14, 05:45 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like they offered you an excellent option. . .

I paid that price for 3 year/ 50K and I drive about 13,500 miles/year
Old 03-19-14, 05:53 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by twadem
Thanks for the advice everyone. Here is the latest - I bought an LS460 today, but not the one out-of-state. I bought one locally. 2010 LS460 swb w/15k mi. non-ML for $41.2K. Overall I believe it was a fair deal. I was offered a 5yr/70k warranty (if i recall correctly) for $2100, but declined. I'll probably drive less than 7k mile annually. Does anyone have any thoughts on buying a warranty for this particular vehicle
This has been discussed at nauseum if you search..but there is no way I would buy a car of this magnitude without a warranty..preferably through Lexus or a CPO. I had 4 control arms replaced..cost was $2k. I didn't pay a dime so back to zero essentially. ..then I had about $1000 in repairs after that, so now I have already saved $1k. Any repairs from now until 2017 are even more gravy and my warranty investment has easily provided a positive return on investment. One thing to note, if your nav system goes out..appx $10 to $12k to replace. One headlight assembly is $4k. Get the idea?
Old 03-19-14, 06:04 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Congrats on the new car! We expect you to be a regular around here now.

If that is a Lexus Platinum warranty, that is a good price. Since you only drive 7000 miles, you will get the full 5 year benefit, that's only $420 per year for piece of mind. It's up to you and your risk tolerance, but I'd take it.
Old 03-19-14, 09:45 AM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twadem

2010 LS460 swb w/15k mi.
Does anyone have any thoughts on buying a warranty for this particular vehicle?
Are you still on original factory warranty (4yr/50k)? If so, you have a limited time (4th anniversary of in-service date) in which to purchase extended FACTORY warranty. Note that extended factory warranty is refundable if you sell the car before it expires. For details, consult a Lexus dealer. If you're not covered by original Lexus warranty, you're looking at 3rd party warranties for coverage and they're not going anywhere so you have lots of time to decide.
Old 03-19-14, 12:37 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

CJITTY, yes I apologize - I have seen other posts regarding warranty. My anxiety got the best of me, so I asked the question. Not sure if the warranty offered to me at the MBZ dealer was third party, but I assumed as much at the time. I will talk to Lexus about extending the factory warrant. I'll look int 3rd party as well.
Old 03-19-14, 01:00 PM
twadem
Driver School Candidate

By the way, is the control arm/bushing issue a problem with only specific years or all LS460s?
Old 03-19-14, 03:07 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
Are you still on original factory warranty (4yr/50k)? If so, you have a limited time (4th anniversary of in-service date) in which to purchase extended FACTORY warranty. Note that extended factory warranty is refundable if you sell the car before it expires. For details, consult a Lexus dealer. If you're not covered by original Lexus warranty, you're looking at 3rd party warranties for coverage and they're not going anywhere so you have lots of time to decide.
Original owner purchased my 2011 sport in December 2011. So does that mean I have until Dec.2015 and not Jan 2015 to extend warranty?
Thanks
Old 03-19-14, 04:29 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I think control arms from 07 to 09 are at most risk. There are non oem alternatives that are a little cheaper. My 600 needed them replaced so its not just a 460 issue
Old 03-19-14, 06:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts
Default T

Originally Posted by Rayh78
Original owner purchased my 2011 sport in December 2011. So does that mean I have until Dec.2015 and not Jan 2015 to extend warranty?
Thanks
I believe you have either 4 years from date of first purchase or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, to buy a Lexus extended warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good deal on 2011 Lexus LS 460 L w/Exec package?