LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Keys locked in car

Old 03-17-14, 02:53 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys locked in car

I forgot something inside the house so I threw my keys on my driver seat and closed the door and went inside to grab what I forgot and when I came out the car auto locked with my keys inside. I didn't have a spare so I had to call AAA to unlock the car and they had to pry the door slightly to stick the metal rod in to unlock it and scratched up the pillar paint and ripped the seal a bit.

I thought the car wouldn't lock with the FOB in the car but I guess I was wrong. They battery is fairly new. When I hit the button on the handle it beeped for about 2 seconds.

Since I need to fix the paint on the pillar, does anyone know if this is the correct color? Black Onyx Code 202.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Touch-Paint-Black/dp/B008216AGC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Touch-Paint-Black/dp/B008216AGC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Frustrating experience. Just wanted to let people know it can happen so always keep the keys on you.
Thanks

Last edited by darksands; 03-17-14 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 03:30 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car won't lock with ENTRY CARD inside, not with a fob.
Old 03-17-14, 03:40 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

I never got a entry card as I purchased used. I only received the remote. Did the 2007 LS460 come with a card?
Old 03-17-14, 05:30 AM
BigWalt
Driver

Odd, Left my fob in the cup holder last night and when i pushed the button on the outside door handle it did 2 long loud beeps and wouldn't lock. Somethings not right on your end.
Old 03-17-14, 06:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Odd, Left my fob in the cup holder last night and when i pushed the button on the outside door handle it did 2 long loud beeps and wouldn't lock.
Similar thing here. Something ain't right.
Old 03-17-14, 07:14 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by darksands
I forgot something inside the house so I threw my keys on my driver seat and closed the door and went inside to grab what I forgot and when I came out the car auto locked with my keys inside. I didn't have a spare so I had to call AAA to unlock the car and they had to pry the door slightly to stick the metal rod in to unlock it and scratched up the pillar paint and ripped the seal a bit.

I thought the car wouldn't lock with the FOB in the car but I guess I was wrong. They battery is fairly new. When I hit the button on the handle it beeped for about 2 seconds.

Since I need to fix the paint on the pillar, does anyone know if this is the correct color? Black Onyx Code 202.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota...pr_product_top

Frustrating experience. Just wanted to let people know it can happen so always keep the keys on you.
Thanks
Thank you for sharing the details of your unfortunate event with us. It is inputs like yours that make this forum a very valuable asset and a must-read for all Lexus owners. On the surface what happened to you seems to be just that, an unfortunate event. But, it is likely an indication of a much more serious problem.

You are correct in your belief that this shouldn't happen. A likely explanation is that one or more of the door-jamb switches on your car is defective. The auto-relock feature is normally defeated when the car gets an indication that a door has been opened within 30 seconds of receiving the unlock signal.

The door-jamb switch issue has been discussed extensively in this forum. It is a serious safety issue and your event is another example of how important this problem is. You could have locked a child or pet in your car.

Besides keeping you from locking your key in the car, other very important safety interlocks are compromised by defective door-jamb switches The headlight auto-off feature is defeated by bad door-jamb switches causing the battery to be fully discharged. Some of the HOLD safety interlocks are defeated by the door-jamb switches and that may cause you to be injured or killed. The feature that warns you when you are leaving the car with the engine running is defeated by a defective door-jamb switch and that may result in the death or the occupants of your home.

Here are a couple of links to some useful information about the door jamb switch:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rning-off.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-wont-set.html

I have entered a complaint to the NHTSA regarding this issue but there has been no action there as I suspect that they don't appreciate how extensive this problem is. I urge everyone to check their door-jamb switches. Be sure to check them carefully as some are intermittent. Your life or someone else's life may be saved by your action.
Old 03-17-14, 10:52 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

So I tried again but this time I was in the car and the keys in my pocket. Car has been sitting unlocked in the garage over night. I open door, get in car with keys, sit in the driver seat and waited. After about 30 seconds the car auto-locked. I'll take it into the dealer and see if they know what's going on but if they say it's gonna cost me 200 bucks to fix then I'm going to take some complimentary drinks and walk away and just have a spare.
Old 03-17-14, 11:46 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by BigWalt
Odd, Left my fob in the cup holder last night and when i pushed the button on the outside door handle it did 2 long loud beeps and wouldn't lock. Somethings not right on your end.
If you have occasion to need to lock your keycard or one of your electronic keys in the car you can do that by using your other keycard/electronic key to lock the car by pressing the lock symbol on the keycard/electronic key that is outside the car. I do this regularly when my wife wants to leave her purse with key locked In the car. When you do it like this the touch-open feature is disabled.
Old 03-17-14, 12:01 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does your car have an aftermarket locking alarm because the OEM feature could have been disabled when an aftermarket locking system installed. Also may want to pay a visit to the dealership as it could be a Lexus Personalized Setting feature. Check out #8. I know when i lived in the city and I left my keys in the car, I would want to have the doors still automatically lock!

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/LS_with_nav_LPS.pdf
Old 03-17-14, 01:28 PM
JoniNguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same freaking problem last weekend. I had to call AAA also. And i thought i was a dumb one, i guess it's a flaw of the LS.
Old 03-17-14, 01:37 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by JoniNguyen
I had the same freaking problem last weekend. I had to call AAA also. And i thought i was a dumb one, i guess it's a flaw of the LS.
It is not a "flaw." The most likely cause is that one or more of your door jamb switches is defective. Defective door jamb switches are a very common problem on these cars and it is a safety issue.
Old 03-17-14, 01:56 PM
JoniNguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It is not a "flaw." The most likely cause is that one or more of your door jamb switches is defective. Defective door jamb switches are a very common problem on these cars and it is a safety issue.
We have two lexus LS600hl in the house. I was able to replicate the problem in both cars.
Old 03-17-14, 01:59 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by JoniNguyen
We have two lexus LS600hl in the house. I was able to replicate the problem in both cars.
Did you see where I said "a very common problem"? This is something that the NHTSA should be addressing.
Old 03-17-14, 02:29 PM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Well, at least I wasn't the only one. Just applied some touch up paint on the pillar. I bought a physical key online so I'll get that one cut just in case. Thanks for the replies guys. Contemplating if I want to spend 100 bucks replacing that weather trim AAA ripped.
Old 03-17-14, 06:01 PM
mishutka
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I concur this should not have happened with default LS settings
Ppl refer to defective door jamb switches.
Lexus has plenty of default settings that can be overridden.
Had anybody tried one of the door locking options? There could lie an answer to an "unconventional" LS behavior.
About the paint color. Call any dealership and provide your VIN - only then you will be sure of the color.
Good luck to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keys locked in car