LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone Try This?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 09:31 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
First light tomorrow, I'll be giving it a go. I went and plugged in the OBD module this afternoon and within a few seconds I got a connection. So far so good. I didn't want to delve into it any deeper.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Yep, apparently!
I never tried either one, but after reading about techstream it went on my shopping list. I do read people mention techstream is a bit slow on the software. Let us know how the speed is with this.
Old 03-12-14, 10:51 PM
tonyctl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it include the setting that will allow you to operate the navi and phone/audio controls while vehicle is in motion?
Old 03-12-14, 11:11 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn, says it is for android...I have an iPhone. If this pans out, I'll have to stop drinking the Apple juice...hahaha!!! Roadfrog, keep us posted!!!
Old 03-13-14, 06:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If this pans out, I'll have to stop drinking the Apple juice...hahaha!!
As one of the first to have an Iphone back in the day, I was a devoted follower - Iphone 3, 3gs, 4, 4s and then the 5. I got tired of Apple's proprietary ways and went to Samsung Galaxy/Android last year. No going back. Android is the bomb. All of my friends and family have switched as well.

I will get at it later this morning before the rain comes this afternoon.

Does it include the setting that will allow you to operate the navi and phone/audio controls while vehicle is in motion?
Not that I'm aware of. If it does......wow.

10 bucks for the module on Ebay and free software = BARGAIN.....even if it all it does do, is the OBD resets and diagnostics.

This is the module I bought (only 7.99 from this supplier):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1-5-OBD2-II-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Car-Auto-Interface-Scanner-G9-/171174275687?pt=US_Bluetooth_Handsfree_Car_Kits&hash=item27dac82a67
Old 03-13-14, 07:29 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I think I mentioned earlier, someone had one of these bluetooth OBD dongles to run along with their phone and their entire ECU had to be replaced or repaired..it was a toyota prius. I rarely make changes to my car's options, so the techstream on my laptop and slow connection is probably what I will keep doing
Old 03-13-14, 10:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I think I mentioned earlier, someone had one of these bluetooth OBD dongles to run along with their phone and their entire ECU had to be replaced or repaired..it was a toyota prius. I rarely make changes to my car's options, so the techstream on my laptop and slow connection is probably what I will keep doing
WHHAAAAATTTT????!!!

Oh man. Now what do I do? Ugh.......

Ah well, in for a penny... in for a pound. LOL
Old 03-13-14, 11:18 AM
Lexus4me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does this Mini ELM327 works with laptop or android smartphone only?
Old 03-13-14, 05:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Well, my car did not implode, blow up, grenade, or otherwise go Kaput.

IT WORKS! Admittedly, I did not go so far as to do any programming, because that costs 11.95 for the upgraded app, but I did get into the car's menu for selecting the options, ie: how long interior lights stay on, remote functions, HVAC options, etc. I did not see an option for the DRL though. Maybe I have to pay to get it....I dunno. But for 12 bucks, it sure is worth the $$. The diagnostics menu is great.....I had no codes, except for one for the self parking, which I'm not familiar with. Again, it gave me the option to upgrade the app to get into that section to see more.

So far so good!
Old 03-13-14, 06:05 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a brother who is a crazy car nut/IT guru (rjk) who has a diagnostics cable (used with techstream software), and i just have him do all fun stuff to my car for free!
Old 03-14-14, 11:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Update.

I paid the 12 bucks and played around with the settings, (changed the volume of the interior dinging, changed door lock settings and such). Works like a charm. HOWEVER, the DRL disable option is not in the menu. So I emailed Carista and almost immediately received an email from the developer. He talked me through a "debug" setting which allowed me to download my cars computer settings to him, right through the app. He will send me an updated option list in a day or two. He said that ANY option available to Techstream/Dealer can be made available in the app. This guy seems to know his stuff and answers any concerns immediately (and apparently is not some overseas hack operating out of his basement in Siberia). LOL

I'll keep ya posted.
Old 03-14-14, 11:56 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice... I think any device that interacts with the ecu has the same potential to fry things those techstream are no different there is no updates available with it either. Sound promising I might jump on it.
Old 03-14-14, 12:01 PM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Update.

I paid the 12 bucks and played around with the settings, (changed the volume of the interior dinging, changed door lock settings and such). Works like a charm. HOWEVER, the DRL disable option is not in the menu. So I emailed Carista and almost immediately received an email from the developer. He talked me through a "debug" setting which allowed me to download my cars computer settings to him, right through the app. He will send me an updated option list in a day or two. He said that ANY option available to Techstream/Dealer can be made available in the app. This guy seems to know his stuff and answers any concerns immediately (and apparently is not some overseas hack operating out of his basement in Siberia). LOL

I'll keep ya posted.
With all the good hackers out there, i will not send my car computer setting to any one and very caution to deal with 3rd party soft wares. Any bug from the software could do a serious damage to the car's cpu.
Old 03-14-14, 08:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

This is the reply I got from Carista's developer:

Thanks very much Chris! Got the report, and I found your thread

I'll look into these settings over the weekend and let you know what I find out.

It's interesting that people are concerned about "frying" the car's ECU. My app uses the same commands as Techstream for customizations and I can say for sure that other than messing up the customization values, it's not possible to do any other damage through this type of communication. Also, rest assured that there's no personal information sent in those reports - it's just technical info about supported settings (for example, the VIN is not sent).

Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again for helping out with the report.

Anyways, I'm not concerned. He seems to have the know-how and thousands of people who have bought the app. All my customizations I did this morning work like a treat.....no more automatic locking doors, nice quiet door chime, etc. I also lengthened the time of my "follow me home" lights. From time to plug in, to setting the values, etc is about 2 mins. Hopefully the DRL option will be sorted out this weekend.

When it comes to any software, you COULD risk an issue, but I doubt it highly. I've so far trusted my computer to Prestigious Society and will soon also trust it to the Vais system, etc.
Old 03-15-14, 05:54 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, I guess the example I read was just made up I suppose. It may not be the software that causes the issue, but the BT dongle perhaps..either way, that dude with the Prius was lucky because he had a warranty and showed up at the dealer with shoulder shrugs with no mention of what he was using just prior lol. I do think this app sounds awesome though. He should also create something that easily allows flashing the TPMS data similar to the ATEQ tool that I have..but do it through this app instead

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-15-14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-15-14, 07:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I would suspect that it would be the dongle. I'm not sure how a software program could short circuit an ECU. I agree that a dongle "could"...especially if it was a defective unit, since it involves a degree of electrical power. All these modules, dongles, scanners, ECU tuners, and anything else that plug into an OBD port are ALL made in China, so quality can be an issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone Try This?