LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Intro & Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 02:07 PM
dbow2000
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro & Exhaust Question

Hello, I recently purchased a 2008 LS460 after deciding that I couldn't deal with a Ram 1500 as my daily driver. I've owned quite a few BMWs and a couple MBs, but this is my first Lexus. My thought was to try something different in the luxury category and hopefully more reliable. So far, I'm impressed with the car. I'll try to attach a low-quality pic of the car.

I read as many exhaust posts that I could find here and looked for youtube vids, but I'm curious -how many of you have actually modified your exhausts? Or how many are actually planning to do it. I like the sound of the Joe Z clips that I've watched.

I'm also a fan of CL now, though this is my first post. I've been looking around for a while. I see there's a lot of knowledge (and pictures) in the stickies.
Attached Thumbnails Intro & Exhaust Question-ls460.jpg  
Old 03-12-14, 02:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey, welcome dbow2000! Your car looks pristine, good luck with it.

I noticed you joined in January but didn't post until March, so evidently you have been reading a lot of threads first. Now there is a wise man!

Now as to your question, I have no clue, but there are some serious modders here who I am sure will come along and help you out. If they don't, I'll get Tee and CJITTY on the case.
Old 03-12-14, 02:29 PM
dbow2000
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Hey, welcome dbow2000! Your car looks pristine, good luck with it.

I noticed you joined in January but didn't post until March, so evidently you have been reading a lot of threads first. Now there is a wise man!

Now as to your question, I have no clue, but there are some serious modders here who I am sure will come along and help you out. If they don't, I'll get Tee and CJITTY on the case.
Thanks, I see you are one of the longtime residents! I didn't see that you have any exhaust mods-did you choose not to or just not yet?

Yes, I've been reading at least every couple of days. With info from here, so far I've changed the fogs to silverstar ZXE, had the nav upgraded, bought the lexus leather supplies, made my own dvd-audio disks, bought the projector courtesy lights and DRL LEDs (waiting on arrival of both) and I'm sure theres other things.

I plan to do wheels eventually and not sure on whether to lower though. I have to pace myself, I've found that the faster I go about making changes, the sooner I get bored and ready to move on to something else.
Old 03-12-14, 03:13 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dbow2000
I read as many exhaust posts that I could find here and looked for youtube vids, but I'm curious -how many of you have actually modified your exhausts? Or how many are actually planning to do it. I like the sound of the Joe Z clips that I've watched.
I have. In fact, my car was the vehicle Joe Z used for his exhaust dyno. I previously had the Joe Z exhaust but ultimately removed it because of its drone. I plan on modifying my exhaust again, but haven't yet decided in which direction to go.
Old 03-12-14, 03:29 PM
dbow2000
10th Gear

That's good to know. I definitely want to avoid drone. I read that one person used magnaflow 11254 in a custom setup, but I couldn't find any sound clips.
Old 03-12-14, 03:38 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a handful of JDM exhausts that can be acquired fr online vendors. They're at least 1200+ or so w/o shipping. Dont know anyone who has any installed
Old 03-12-14, 03:44 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That's good to know. I definitely want to avoid drone. I read that one person used magnaflow 11254 in a custom setup, but I couldn't find any sound clips.
Well, in a Magnaflow/custom set up of any kind, it will be critical to use the right length resonators if you want to avoid drone.
Old 03-12-14, 03:53 PM
dbow2000
10th Gear

Right. I believe I read the 11254 were 18" and the ones on the pts were 14", but what does that mean for sound? I may have to be a guinea pig and test them, while keeping my stock set just in case.
Old 03-12-14, 04:03 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe longer, larger muffler generally equates to closer to oem sound, all other things being equal? Less drone. Someone chime in pls
Old 03-12-14, 04:10 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you could go to a chilled muffler shop like i did in my old car

They chopped everything from the third cat back and bent in some larger pipes. ($150) The drone got bad and i just had them install one muffler just before the exhaust did a Y.($50) Still had some serous rumble and the drone dropped out a highway speeds and when i let off the gas.

When i sold the car, they put all the factory stuff back in place for $100. cheapest fun mod on that car.
Old 03-12-14, 04:16 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Member "tonytangsj" recently had his exhaust custom and also added additional pipe to help eliminate the drone. He showed me a few picture a few weeks ago. I'll ask him to share these pic. His whole set-up was affordable as well....$600-$650.
Old 03-13-14, 06:50 AM
dbow2000
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nat
Member "tonytangsj" recently had his exhaust custom and also added additional pipe to help eliminate the drone. He showed me a few picture a few weeks ago. I'll ask him to share these pic. His whole set-up was affordable as well....$600-$650.
I will most likely go to a favorite custom muffler shop here to get it done when I get to that point. Definitely would be interested to hear tonytangsj's setup.
Old 03-17-14, 06:28 PM
tonytangsj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will most likely go to a favorite custom muffler shop here to get it done when I get to that point. Definitely would be interested to hear tonytangsj's setup.
Hi dbow2000, Nat mentioned you wanted to know more about my exhaust setup.
I added more information on my exhaust and how I dealt with the droning issue I was having.

You can check out my build thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tony
Old 03-18-14, 04:47 AM
dbow2000
10th Gear

Tony, thanks for the info, that's exactly what I wanted to see-even down to canceling out drone. Do you happen to know the model # of the mufflers?
Old 03-18-14, 06:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I've found that the faster I go about making changes, the sooner I get bored and ready to move on to something else.
Ahhhh yes.......I know this disease well.

Quick Reply: Intro & Exhaust Question