LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Separate power amp for sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 12:28 PM
sarantis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Separate power amp for sub

I have the iVic-i to have iphone capability for my '07 with ML system. With this system installed it's 5 or 6 button pushes to get to the bass setting. I'm thinking of installing a separate amp to power the factory sub with a dedicated sub level control put in place. This would also give me the added benefit of having better bass response since it's being powered by its own amp.

Has anyone tried this? I've read that it's almost impossible just to swap out the sub on these.
Old 03-06-14, 02:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Oh no... not again....

Why do you people want to mess with perfection??!!!????

LOL. Just playin' with you. It's just that I have never had a better sounding system in any vehicle....and I've installed sooo many. I would leave it alone.
Old 03-06-14, 10:55 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No offense but dont listen to roafrog, Ive met hundreds of people who asked why I "ruined" such a perfect car with adding my 22 inch rims and I replied, ""because it makes me happy and it MINE" so please strop trolling unless you have something to contribute.

Now to answer your question if you search there are people who have replaced the factory sub and or speakers but as for powering them an anftermarket sub would be required. I suggest a small 10tucked in the nice spot to not take up space for better, yet not overpowering bass.
Old 03-07-14, 02:28 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
No offense but dont listen to roafrog, Ive met hundreds of people who asked why I "ruined" such a perfect car with adding my 22 inch rims and I replied, ""because it makes me happy and it MINE" so please strop trolling unless you have something to contribute.
LOL! You put 22s on a LS600hL?!?!? Have you gone mad?? Next thing you know..people are going to make them sit lower to the ground somehow and mess with a perfectly good air suspension lololol
Old 03-07-14, 06:41 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i thought i was the only one that got criticized for putting 22" on a Lexus,LOL!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-14, 06:57 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Now to answer your question if you search there are people who have replaced the factory sub and or speakers but as for powering them an anftermarket sub would be required. I suggest a small 10tucked in the nice spot to not take up space for better, yet not overpowering bass.
i asked this question in the Audio forum and got no answer, also the search method didn't amount to anything... now, where would you tuck the sub? i have a shallow mount 12" sub, i also have a low pro down firing enclosure. want to keep the trunk space....
Old 03-07-14, 09:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Apparently you missed this part of my post.
LOL. Just playin' with you.
And DO NOT call me a troll. That is one thing I have never been in all the forums I've contributed to and associated myself with. Opinions were asked for by the op....I believe I did that rather diplomatically.

If the mods felt my post as trolling, I will trust them to delete it.

Our vehicles are a canvas to some of us (mine included) and I "get" that we want to personalize them. After all, I'm not on this forum for discussion on sports topics or politics.

And for the OP: perhaps this might get you started:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-07-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 03:07 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think anybody accused you of trolling atleast that's not what got from it you stated an opinion and that was it. As great as the ML is other might feel the need to add just a hint more to it. Those speakers are not the greatest there others that will fine tune what ever they are lacking. With that said some people like plain jane ,others love personalizing. But you are not a troll, your input along with others is what makes this forum what it is.

Last edited by Lextrician; 03-07-14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-07-14, 04:33 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks roadfrog for referring him to my thread. I was going to until I saw you did.
In all my searching, I never ran across anyone that installed an aftermarket amp with the stock subwoofer. I found the stock subwoofer to be very weak. Of course roadfrog and I agree...LOL...hahaha!!!
I still have the 10" subwoofer hooked up. I would definitely recommend the in line volume control. It's nice to be able to adjust the bass to my liking. I am by no means a bass fanatic.
Old 03-07-14, 04:57 PM
sarantis
Driver

Ok I do appreciate the side-convo. I do it all the time too. And I've seen that post about installing a sub. But as I mentioned, I don't want to install a sub, I want to install an amp for the sub with a line volume control. I'm sure someone here has done this. No?
Old 03-07-14, 05:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I dont anybody accused you of trolling
Well, maybe not directly, but accusing me of trolling (as quoted below) is the same as far as I'm concerned

so please strop trolling unless you have something to contribute.
Regardless, I'm over it. It's all good.

I believe adding a line level controller to the existing sub and amp is possible and seems to be a common thing with all the cars coming out with infotainment systems such as ours. I found this discussion:

http://cartech.about.com/od/Car-Audi...-Converter.htm
Old 03-07-14, 07:48 PM
scottkroug
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop the drama.
I just wanna hear about a separate sub amp combo like the OP
Old 03-08-14, 10:10 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sarantis
Ok I do appreciate the side-convo. I do it all the time too. And I've seen that post about installing a sub. But as I mentioned, I don't want to install a sub, I want to install an amp for the sub with a line volume control. I'm sure someone here has done this. No?
Sorry, if you feel I am providing side conversations. But, I did state one important comment in my comment regarding your OP. I did not run across any set up like what you are wanting to do. Why don't you do a general search on google for what you're looking for? Call up you local car stereo shop? I have a feeling you're going to find most people do not add an amplifier to the stock subwoofer. This is my opinion so please don't take this the wrong way. Also, don't consider this a side conversation, but what you're wanting to do just doesn't make sense. I seriously doubt the stock sub has the capacity to handle much more power. It wouldn't make for good business sense for Lexus to install a subwoofer that is rated for much more than the amp can produce. Especially when they had a custom made subwoofer just for this car. Also, consider this...I have an iPhone app from Denon. It has an equalizer built in that modifies the different signals before going to the ML audio system. When I had the stock set up with the Denon app boosting the bass and then the ML system boosting it even more, the sub went into distortion. I actually thought I ripped the surrounds because it sounded awful. Trying to figure out how to look at the sub to see if the surrounds were ripped is what started me down the path of adding an amp and a subwoofer. Sorry, you're not getting the response you expected, but maybe it's because no one has done what you're thinking of doing. If you really want to try your idea, you may have to do some more research and not just expect the answer to jump out at you on Club Lexus.
Now of course there is a simple solution to all of this:
1. Disconnect the sub woofer wires.
2. Take the subwoofer wires and connect them to a line out convert or (LOC).
3. Plug RCA cables into the LOC.
4. Plug an inline volume control into the the RCA cable.
5. Plug another RCA cable into the other side of the volume control.
6. Run the RCA cable to an aftermarket amp and plug into the line level input.
7. Run the new amp speaker outputs to the subwoofer.
This should work.
Remember this is s forum of all different types of people. You are going to get all kinds of responses. And believe it or not some of us are trying to help you...
Later and peace out...LOL!!!!
Old 03-08-14, 05:31 PM
sarantis
Driver

pmiller, now that's what I call a response! And boom, you just proved the reason why I come to this site almost every day. Thanks so much for your detailed response. It will help me tremendously.
Old 03-09-14, 06:02 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same trick with the LOC on my ES350 ML, works perfectly, you have an independant sub volume. I hide my sub amplifier under the full space wheel.

Quick Reply: Separate power amp for sub