LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grill Plasticote DIY with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 05:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Grill Plasticote DIY with PICS

Based on some pics I saw here, I decided to give my grill a new look and paint it black. I had done the same treatment to my BMW 745i last year and really liked the look it gave....a little less "blingy".

I also decided to do the $5 chrome treatment to the lower valance that others have also done.

Obviously I used a rattle can of the Plastidip paint in black:

[IMG][/IMG]

I considered just taping around the grill right on the vehicle, but because of the weather and such, I decided to remove the grill from the vehicle - a VERY simple task....one bolt, and a few clips, and out she came. Once the assembly was out, the center grill piece was easily removed from the outer frame...again, with clips. I then masked it up:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The beauty of Plastidip is that it is so forgiving and masking does not need to be perfect, as any overspray just rubs off or peels away. Its really an amazing product. The beauty is, if you don't like the results, just peel away the rubbery coat of color and you're back to OEM.

[IMG][/IMG]

I debated following up with a can of the Glossifier", but read several reviews that said the Glossifier made the black look somewhat, grey. Regardless, I really like the semigloss/satin results I got from the can as is.

[IMG][/IMG]

The final result with the chrome door edge guard trims on the lower valance:

[IMG][/IMG]

It's been on the car for nearly a week through all kinds of weather and speeds as well as a touchless car wash and there is no sign of any wear. Thanks to those who set me on this quest! I really like the results!
Old 02-20-14, 05:57 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good
Old 02-20-14, 06:03 PM
jiceoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it
Old 02-20-14, 08:30 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you link us to the product you used for the lower valances?
Old 02-20-14, 09:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Can you link us to the product you used for the lower valances?
Basically, it's this stuff here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-STYLE-3M-x...-/221270549880

You can find it at Walmart in the automotive section for about 5 bucks. Just cut it to size.
Old 06-17-15, 10:24 AM
DangVu
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taking grill off

How hard is it to take off the grill?

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Based on some pics I saw here, I decided to give my grill a new look and paint it black. I had done the same treatment to my BMW 745i last year and really liked the look it gave....a little less "blingy".

I also decided to do the $5 chrome treatment to the lower valance that others have also done.

Obviously I used a rattle can of the Plastidip paint in black:

[IMG][/IMG]

I considered just taping around the grill right on the vehicle, but because of the weather and such, I decided to remove the grill from the vehicle - a VERY simple task....one bolt, and a few clips, and out she came. Once the assembly was out, the center grill piece was easily removed from the outer frame...again, with clips. I then masked it up:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The beauty of Plastidip is that it is so forgiving and masking does not need to be perfect, as any overspray just rubs off or peels away. Its really an amazing product. The beauty is, if you don't like the results, just peel away the rubbery coat of color and you're back to OEM.

[IMG][/IMG]

I debated following up with a can of the Glossifier", but read several reviews that said the Glossifier made the black look somewhat, grey. Regardless, I really like the semigloss/satin results I got from the can as is.

[IMG][/IMG]

The final result with the chrome door edge guard trims on the lower valance:

[IMG][/IMG]

It's been on the car for nearly a week through all kinds of weather and speeds as well as a touchless car wash and there is no sign of any wear. Thanks to those who set me on this quest! I really like the results!
Old 06-17-15, 11:33 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It peels off if ever you need to. It's very easy, and comes off clean.
Old 06-17-15, 12:19 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Great job and it looks good.
Old 06-17-15, 12:34 PM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good job. Makes me consider doing something like that.
Old 06-17-15, 04:32 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice! Car is looking good.

Have you considered adding DRL LED strips (the kind initially installed by Tee and CJITTY)? It fits the opening on the 2007-09 bumper quite nicely, together with the door edge chrome pieces.
Old 06-17-15, 07:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caha14
Very nice! Car is looking good.

Have you considered adding DRL LED strips (the kind initially installed by Tee and CJITTY)? It fits the opening on the 2007-09 bumper quite nicely, together with the door edge chrome pieces.
You mean like this? LOL
Old 06-17-15, 07:41 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

You mean like this? LOL
Ha! Those look familiar

Curious... As I was typing earlier, I had a vague recollection that you did have these, but I didn't see them in your signature (may have missed them - sleep deprivation will do that to me). Did I imagine this, or did you just install (or reinstall, post-PlastiDip project)?
Old 06-17-15, 09:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caha14
Ha! Those look familiar

Curious... As I was typing earlier, I had a vague recollection that you did have these, but I didn't see them in your signature (may have missed them - sleep deprivation will do that to me). Did I imagine this, or did you just install (or reinstall, post-PlastiDip project)?
I installed them shortly after the grill was done. Always had them in my sig.
Old 06-18-15, 05:44 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed them shortly after the grill was done. Always had them in my sig.
I've got to hand it to you roadfrog, that actually looks very good and well placed. It looks like it fits very well. I'm sure we all see cars that try to add LED strips or bars and it never looks like its supposed to be there mostly because of fitment, but what you did looks like it was designed that way!

-Joe
Old 06-18-15, 09:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamodeo
I've got to hand it to you roadfrog, that actually looks very good and well placed. It looks like it fits very well. I'm sure we all see cars that try to add LED strips or bars and it never looks like its supposed to be there mostly because of fitment, but what you did looks like it was designed that way!

-Joe
Thanks. The main reason why it looks "factory" has to do with the cut of the led lights. They come with an angled cut at the ends which perfectly align with the angles of the bumper inlets. Can't take credit for the idea though...that belongs to TEE and others who did it first.

Quick Reply: Grill Plasticote DIY with PICS