LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

remote touch interface Vs the old touchscreen style

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 10:12 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default remote touch interface Vs the old touchscreen style

hey guys i was curious about what you all thought of the new NAV and other controls with the remote touch joystick control vs the touchscreen style, i just got some experiance with the new 2014 model and although i do like it, the touchscreen controls seem easier to use. im a bigtime Lexus enthusiast turned new lexus salesman just starting out (why not sell what i love and believe are the greatest cars on the planet? right?) anyway i was curious as to how you folks that are lucky and blessed enough to actually own one of these cars think of this new system.. just some feedback would be great! ill prob get a Ls460 someday when i can afford a old one lol.
Old 02-20-14, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the touch screen might be easier in some sense, but the cons are fingerprints and the fact that the screen can't be high enough. with remote touch, the screen is much higher now, so people don't have to take eyes too far away from the road. and also the screen can be more inset so sun glare is not a problem (something that bothered me on all my previous lexus). but of course, the down side is using the remote touch. but at least i think it's far better than idrive and command system. i have had those and both of them are "sigh"... with the remote touch, at least it's very similar to a mouse, which i think most of us are very used to by now
Old 02-20-14, 01:20 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

yeah thats what ive been told about doing away with the touchscreen controls. wear and tear, smudge fingerprints, cracked screens etc. ive seen a few show up with fouled up screens and they look REALLY bad. the remote touch is very much like a mouse and its good that it learns the drivers motor skills after a few mins.
Old 02-20-14, 02:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey Rob, firstly, congrats on your new job and I wish you the best of luck!

Now unfortunately for the downer. I won't buy a brand new LS from you for two reasons. Back in 2005 I test drove an Infiniti Q45 with radar cruise control. After that drive I swore I would never buy a new car without it. Being in a snowbelt state, I had to special order my LS in order to get it. Now that I have experienced a touchscreen, I wouldn't buy another new car without it.

The other reason is while the spindle grill looks OK on the smaller models, it is just way too big on the LS. If for any reason I have to replace my LS, I will be looking for a pre-owned model before these changes took place.
Old 02-20-14, 07:44 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the new mousey-pointer style system on the RX 450H as a loaner when my LS was in the shop. Had it for a few days, never really got used to it. I found I missed the tactile feel of the side buttons, and pretty much had to stop driving to be able to use the system.

Maybe it is something you have to live with for a while to get used to it.
Old 02-22-14, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I found that with a little time I got used to it and now prefer the RTC. I prefer the way the screen builds into the dash too, deeper set, bigger now that it doesn't have to be a touchscreen.

I go back and forth with the Jeep too which has a touchscreen, and I prefer the RTC.
Old 02-22-14, 04:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am driving a brand new ls460 loaner now and i got used to the remote touch in no time too