LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls430 vs ls460

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 08:12 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
9/11 was fleeting. The economy did not get hit until almost 2008 and continued for many years.
It made a huge impact in the industry I work in that took years to somewhat recover. Nonetheless, Lexus has sold a lot more 430's then they have 460's. It is interesting to look at.

http://money.msn.com/exchange-traded...4-031570ce1a28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...ber_11_attacks
Old 09-09-14, 08:12 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

After 911 the economy only suffered a minor hitch. The real estate market was booming and along with it so were boats, planes and automobiles. It was like the roaring 20s confined to five solid years of economic expansion when money was cheap to borrow and your dog could get a loan.

BTW like roadfrog I too looked at the 430 forum and it looked far worse then what we have here especially with those that have high millage. Still doesn't mean anything.

POP Quiz : How often do you have to change the timing belt on a LS460?
Old 09-09-14, 08:17 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
After 911 the economy only suffered a minor hitch. The real estate market was booming and along with it so were boats, planes and automobiles. It was like the roaring 20s confined to five solid years of economic expansion when money was cheap to borrow and your dog could get a loan.

BTW like roadfrog I too looked at the 430 forum and it looked far worse then what we have here especially with those that have high millage. Still doesn't mean anything.

POP Quiz : How often do you have to change the timing belt on a LS460?
Exactly, the US was not in a deep recession after 9/11 happened.

Answer: You don't b/c the 460 has a chain not a belt.
Old 09-09-14, 08:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Tee
Exactly, the US was not in a deep recession after 9/11 happened.

Answer: You don't b/c the 460 has a chain not a belt.
It's so bad now that after 2008 that the whole sports car industry for us pukes has been limited to the FRS and Mazda Miata. Looking at the high end luxury market the other two players like Nissan and Honda are out of the game entirely. It's probably the reason why the LS460 is continuing in it's present form with just a make over.
There is plenty of high end cars out there but it's only for the guys that are millionaires with disposable incomes.
Old 09-09-14, 08:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It's so bad now that after 2008 that the whole sports car industry for us pukes has been limited to the FRS and Mazda Miata. Looking at the high end luxury market the other two players like Nissan and Honda are out of the game entirely.
Or the more affordable Hyundai Equus and Genesis as well as the new Kia K700. The Kia is GORGEOUS. Plus unbeatable warranties.
Old 09-09-14, 12:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are funny!! LOL. Both cars shine in their respective qualities. The 460 took a different direction with luxury,as you know, so it cant really be compared directly with its predecessor on anything other than reliability. Yes its more modern and up to date. It's supposed to be!! Thats said it was not based on the tried and true platform that the previous LS model were so there was/is some teething goin on. Although I think the major refreshed 460's will redeem its quality crown, Lexus did relax a little on build quality when they designed and produced the 07-12 LS460 imo but they still were 1st class cars nonetheless. A relaxed Lexus is still better than 90% of the market so...yeah. In terms of the 430, its was designed and produced when Lexus was still hungry and trying to crush to competition. It did!!! They really put their foot in making the 430. Even for a car thats almost 10 years out of production and 17 years from introduction, how it has held up is very impressive. None of its direct competition can say the same. NONE!!!!. My particular ride is 9 years old with 159K on the clock and is now only starting to show its age. Things are gonna break of course but in the 430, it takes a little longer than normal. Styling is subjective. Some hates its tall sedan, M-B like look from a bygone era while others still liken it more to a stately, classy cruiser. To each its own but in terms of been mechanically sound, its still a benchmark on reliability regardless if it's age is just now starting to show after a 10 years. I think we all will be put in our places when the next LS arrive so i would not bark too loudly. Good day fellas!
Old 09-09-14, 01:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
You guys are funny!! LOL. Both cars shine in their respective qualities. The 460 took a different direction with luxury,as you know, so it cant really be compared directly with its predecessor on anything other than reliability. Yes its more modern and up to date. It's supposed to be!! Thats said it was not based on the tried and true platform that the previous LS model were so there was/is some teething goin on. Although I think the major refreshed 460's will redeem its quality crown, Lexus did relax a little on build quality when they designed and produced the 07-12 LS460 imo but they still were 1st class cars nonetheless. A relaxed Lexus is still better than 90% of the market so...yeah. In terms of the 430, its was designed and produced when Lexus was still hungry and trying to crush to competition. It did!!! They really put their foot in making the 430. Even for a car thats almost 10 years out of production and 17 years from introduction, how it has held up is very impressive. None of its direct competition can say the same. NONE!!!!. My particular ride is 9 years old with 159K on the clock and is now only starting to show its age. Things are gonna break of course but in the 430, it takes a little longer than normal. Styling is subjective. Some hates its tall sedan, M-B like look from a bygone era while others still liken it more to a stately, classy cruiser. To each its own but in terms of been mechanically sound, its still a benchmark on reliability regardless if it's age is just now starting to show after a 10 years. I think we all will be put in our places when the next LS arrive so i would not bark too loudly. Good day fellas!
I beg to differ. The industry as a whole makes improvements all the time, not just with the manufacturing process but also with the fluids and intervals of most parts. Case in point that you do not have to change timing belts anymore. Technically speaking there is no major service interval on the newer cars.
Has there been issues with the LS460, yes but they have been rectified and so far it has proven to be a reliable car that offers more car then the 430. As far as a reliability contest goes it's sill premature to assume that the 460 will not outlast the 430 as that has yet to be proven.
It seems there are plenty of people screaming bloody murder on the 430 part of the forum and that's what is most hilarious if we have to use forum complaints as any standard to judge a car.
Old 09-09-14, 01:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It seems there are plenty of people screaming bloody murder on the 430 part of the forum and that's what is most hilarious if we have to use forum complaints as any standard to judge a car.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...#ixzz3Cqx96jza
Yeah....that was a shocker. I had never visited the 430 pages before, mainly because I found enough to do here on the 460 forum. Today was the first time I went there for a peek and WOW...I didn't expect to see all the issues there, especially with all the posters that come to this forum and comment how great and reliable the 430 is. In fairness, the age difference is obvious, but still....
Old 09-09-14, 03:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I beg to differ. The industry as a whole makes improvements all the time, not just with the manufacturing process but also with the fluids and intervals of most parts. Case in point that you do not have to change timing belts anymore. Technically speaking there is no major service interval on the newer cars.
Has there been issues with the LS460, yes but they have been rectified and so far it has proven to be a reliable car that offers more car then the 430. As far as a reliability contest goes it's sill premature to assume that the 460 will not outlast the 430 as that has yet to be proven.
Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yeah....that was a shocker. I had never visited the 430 pages before, mainly because I found enough to do here on the 460 forum. Today was the first time I went there for a peek and WOW...I didn't expect to see all the issues there, especially with all the posters that come to this forum and comment how great and reliable the 430 is. In fairness, the age difference is obvious, but still....
Fellas, not sure if you've misinterpreted what i was trying to say but i wasn't dimming the light on the 460 in anyway. In fact, i cant see myself i another car other than an 460L when its time to get a new ride. My point, a point that seems to be universally accepted, is that the 460 did loose some ground not only to its competition in a few areas but also to its predecessor in terms of refinement. That does mean it's not a world-standard car because it is. To be honest, i believe when Lexus changed it's direction and focus to performance-luxury from luxury-performance, some things got lost in translation. A few things were lost from the 400 to 430 switch. Ask the 400 guys! That said, a whole hell of a lot of things were gained as well. While i love my 430's looks, the 460 is a gorgeous hunk of car to look at. 07-09 being the best of the bunch in looks. Yes, after years of being somewhat dormant in terms of problems in the 430 forum, things will and are starting to break down on the car. Thats inevitable on ANY ride. But most of these problems only started within the past 5 years or so. 430's been out of production almost 10. In contrast, the 460 areas of concern started almost immediately. Sometimes you have to be honest and take it like it is. These two series of LS's are apples to oranges imo. What the 430 lacked the 460 doubled up on but that came with a price and its showing.
Old 10-08-14, 01:13 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I was searching about the LS430 vs LS460 forum because I recently bough a 06 LS430 with 84k miles. I own a 07 LS40 too, with 110k miles now. I've heard about good stories about the 430 that is why I bought one.

Several points I want to make:

When it comes to style, 460 beats the 430 without doubt. Both interior and exterior.

for reliability, I cannot make any comment because the 460 does not give me any repair bills and the 430, I just bought it, lets see. will update

For driving feeling: 430 beats the 460, yes, the old model beats the newer one. 430 feel a lot more solid than the 460 and it also feels heavier, that I like. The build quality of 430 is far superior than the 460, at least this is my thought.
Old 10-15-14, 02:55 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My 2 cents. I've had the 05' 430 and enjoyed it. It rode smooth and was quiet as long as the tires were good. But brother once the tread was worn, I could hear the road. It's a big car. I got it in 08 and never had too many issues. The one main problem for me was the steering wheel. The motors that controlled the up and down and in and out were shot pretty fast. I replaced three batteries in the 6 years I owned the car. Not quite sure why, but I did. I always took issue with the way the Nav setup looked shoved on top of the center console. It just didn't work for me esthetically.

I just got an 08 LS460. For me, the interior is light years ahead of the 430. It feels much sportier and a much more luxurious interior feel. The outside is way less boxy. The enhancements to the nav system are pretty substantial as well as the touch screen and radio system and dvd. While I would have liked to have had the ML sound like my 430, I'm ok with the premium sound considering I got most everything I wanted at a price I was comfortable with plus a very fair trade in on the 430. So, no ML, on mine, but certainly available on others.

The one serious drawback for me so far on the 460 . . . . not enough storage compartments. The 430 had places all over to keep your "stuff" in. Unless I'm missing them, all I've seen is the coin compartment, an ashtray, the glove box and arm rest storage. Missing . . . the cool under seat storage and another little compartment on the console.

Oh well, whatchagonnado?
Old 10-16-14, 05:40 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
My 2 cents. I've had the 05' 430 and enjoyed it. It rode smooth and was quiet as long as the tires were good. But brother once the tread was worn, I could hear the road. It's a big car. I got it in 08 and never had too many issues. The one main problem for me was the steering wheel. The motors that controlled the up and down and in and out were shot pretty fast. I replaced three batteries in the 6 years I owned the car. Not quite sure why, but I did. I always took issue with the way the Nav setup looked shoved on top of the center console. It just didn't work for me esthetically.

I just got an 08 LS460. For me, the interior is light years ahead of the 430. It feels much sportier and a much more luxurious interior feel. The outside is way less boxy. The enhancements to the nav system are pretty substantial as well as the touch screen and radio system and dvd. While I would have liked to have had the ML sound like my 430, I'm ok with the premium sound considering I got most everything I wanted at a price I was comfortable with plus a very fair trade in on the 430. So, no ML, on mine, but certainly available on others.

The one serious drawback for me so far on the 460 . . . . not enough storage compartments. The 430 had places all over to keep your "stuff" in. Unless I'm missing them, all I've seen is the coin compartment, an ashtray, the glove box and arm rest storage. Missing . . . the cool under seat storage and another little compartment on the console.

Oh well, whatchagonnado?
Yea I do miss a cool spot to put me phone. My wife really enjoys a plethora of cubby spaces to put stuff in in her 2014 highlander. I do put my cup holders to good use of course.
Old 11-16-14, 09:14 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Great info.

I am looking at both an 06 430 and an 08 460. I plan on driving both tomorrow. The 460 definitely has the looks. But I want the most reliable car and it seems like the 430 is more reliable.

Steve
Old 11-17-14, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Reliable is a relative term, both cars are the most reliable,cars on the road. The 430 at this point is 9 years old. Nothing lasts forever. Buying a 9 year old car over a 6 year old car expecting it to be more reliable doesn't make sense
Old 11-17-14, 07:49 AM
thelawnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be a mistake to describe any luxury car as the most reliable on the road. Try a Honda Civic or something like that if you just want reliability.

Quick Reply: Ls430 vs ls460