LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 Jerky/hard shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 08:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

And that procedure is exactly why I would never attempt this service as a DIY. For 196 bucks.....they can have it.
Old 10-05-14, 05:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

New to the forum. I did the tranny fluid change myself at 72k miles and I must say the fluid was dark like used engine oil. These trannies are very touchy. And it amazes me how few people out there know anything about them. The guy at the parts department at the dealer told me it had a screen filter and didn't need to be replaced, I dropped the pan and sure enough it has a typical paper/felt filter. I ended up changing everything, cleaning the magnets (they weren't bad). Then did the temperature check by jumping the two connectors on the DLC (you have to do this!!!).
I will be changing the fluid every 30k from now on - I'm not taking any chances - and I only use the WS fluid...which by the way is not a lifetime fluid. Read up on toyota WSfluid...it will make your eyes bleed. Evidently I'm not the only one who has seen their fluid dark like motor oil.
Old 10-05-14, 05:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
New to the forum. I did the tranny fluid change myself at 72k miles and I must say the fluid was dark like used engine oil. These trannies are very touchy. And it amazes me how few people out there know anything about them. The guy at the parts department at the dealer told me it had a screen filter and didn't need to be replaced, I dropped the pan and sure enough it has a typical paper/felt filter. I ended up changing everything, cleaning the magnets (they weren't bad). Then did the temperature check by jumping the two connectors on the DLC (you have to do this!!!).
I will be changing the fluid every 30k from now on - I'm not taking any chances - and I only use the WS fluid...which by the way is not a lifetime fluid. Read up on toyota WSfluid...it will make your eyes bleed. Evidently I'm not the only one who has seen their fluid dark like motor oil.
You have Techstream?

By the way......Welcome to the forum!!

For the record, I quoted "196 dollars" for my service in an earlier post, but in fact it only cost me 148 dollars all in.
Old 10-05-14, 06:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You have Techstream?

By the way......Welcome to the forum!!

For the record, I quoted "196 dollars" for my service in an earlier post, but in fact it only cost me 148 dollars all in.
No I don't have techstream, I just followed the directions from all data. Jumped the connectors, followed the shift procedures and waited for the shift indicator to light up...took me a few tries to get it right.

You have to pay yearly for techstream, correct? I plan on changing the brake fluid, but there's no way I'm doing that without a scan tool. I'm scared to death I'll be left with no pedal.

148 bucks is a great price, how many miles did it have when you did it?
Old 10-05-14, 07:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No I don't have techstream, I just followed the directions from all data. Jumped the connectors, followed the shift procedures and waited for the shift indicator to light up...took me a few tries to get it right.

You have to pay yearly for techstream, correct? I plan on changing the brake fluid, but there's no way I'm doing that without a scan tool. I'm scared to death I'll be left with no pedal.

148 bucks is a great price, how many miles did it have when you did it?
I'm a dedicated DIY'er, but for the price that Toyota charges for the trans fluid change and the brake fluid change, it's not worth tackling myself, especially with the technical parameters involving Techstream, temperature requirements, etc.

I paid 98 bucks for the brake fluid flush.

I had 120,000 kms (70k miles or so) on the car when I did the trans fluid.
Old 10-08-14, 07:40 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This!!! I don't know why most of these new damn transmissions don't have serviceable filters!! All these damn transmissions with lifetime fluid that you hear horror stories about. I had to fight with my dealer to get them to change the fluid at 60k on my G. After so long just changing the fluid becomes a band aid and problems start showing up.

I had the same problem trying to get the transmission fluid changed in my QX at 60k too.
Old 11-05-14, 05:38 AM
Amai21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lucyq
In general, transmission shifts have been soft and somewhat irregular. The most notable problem has been a delay in downshifting when I attempt to pass (but it doesn't occur all the time, and therefore is difficult for dealer to reproduce). I have to put my foot down fast and far, such that when it finally downshifts the car vaults forward and I risk losing control of the car. It also stays in the lower passing gear too long after I release the gas pedal, continuing to rev high before it finally upshifts to a cruising gear.

After transmission fluid flush and change, trans shifts effortlessly, firmer, and more consistently. Have not attempted to pass, but while going up hills (for example) and pressing down on the gas it downshifts with ease as it should. When I say "effortlessly", it feels like a drag on the car from the transmission has been removed by the fluid change. The combination of firm shifts, apparent internal friction-reduction, and easy downshifts under light load situations leads to my assessment that there is a dramatic improvement in the functioning of the transmission -- it was well over due for fluid flush and change -- and, as the Service Manager has confirmed, it needed that fluid change.

I use Lexus of Mt. Kisco in Mt. Kisco, New York. Cost for fluid flush and change was $196 (parts and labor). Service Technician needs to follow the refill instructions carefully. I have attached a PDF file of the service procedure that I found on this Forum for your reference.

Service Manager at Lexus of Mt. Kisco is Sal Cirillo. For more information on the LS460 trans fluid change, contact him.

What you are describing is exactly the situation I am in. Though, I have had the transmission oil changed twice assuming this is the issue. First time the dealer kept the car for couple of weeks to identify the problem, but nothing. I know I am not going crazy especially when it seems to be getting worse. Have you run into any issues since? Do you have recommendations? Very upset knowing that my LS would do this ****!
Old 08-22-19, 08:44 PM
MrJDM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

Hey there
would like to ask you if you had the same kind of jerk while shifting to R or while shifting to D from R as well coz I have the exact same jerk from 3-4 and car jumps 1000rpm and then holds on the gear.
I also have R shifting issues as there is a delay of 5-15Secs depending on cold start or warm start

Help needed badly coz I don’t want to spend on a new tranny
Old 08-24-19, 04:05 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJDM
Hey there
would like to ask you if you had the same kind of jerk while shifting to R or while shifting to D from R as well coz I have the exact same jerk from 3-4 and car jumps 1000rpm and then holds on the gear.
I also have R shifting issues as there is a delay of 5-15Secs depending on cold start or warm start

And Mr JDM, have you done any of the following?
1) inspect the transmission filter
2) drain and fill the trans fluid
3) scan for trouble codes?

?
Old 08-24-19, 05:13 PM
MrJDM
Driver School Candidate

I did change the oil few kilometres before and the car was fine unless the pipe leaked out of gear oilcooler send then I refilled the transmission oil.... There are no codes on my car. I am having issues from 3rd to 4th and also from R to D and from D to R
Old 08-26-19, 05:34 PM
thinson55
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 LS 460 with only 38K miles on it. The problem I am having is sometimes it seems like it doesn't want to downshift when I pull up to a light. I push on the accelerator and can see the RPMs go up but it is like it is starting in 4th. I can manually pull it back into 1st when I take off and I can shift it through the gears. Seems okay. It does not do this all the time. The car is a true low miles car. Was thinking maybe it was a fluid issue but from what I have read on the forum I am afraid to try it.
Old 08-26-19, 07:06 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, great to hear you fixed it with a transmission fluid change out. I just purchased a used 2010 LS460 with just over 100k miles and am experiencing some intermittent issues similar to what you are experiencing in low gears. Thanks! I'll give this a look.
Old 02-04-20, 07:40 AM
jennyo724
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrJDM
Hey there

hey were you ever able to fix your issue? my moms lexus ls460l is also having the same exact issue.
Old 02-04-20, 08:38 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 494 Likes on 309 Posts

This is an old thread but there is some miss information in it. This transmission does have a replaceable filter. It is not a simple screen. If you are having shifting problems or delays going into gear make sure to change the filter and fluid. I removed a similar paper tranny filter out of an older es300 lexus. The tranny fluid drained fine out the pan. The filter itself had fluid the consistency of snot in it. That particular transmission was beyond hope. In the months prior to it failing the car would take a few extra seconds to shift into R or D. The tranny was starved of fluid. The tranny pump couldn't force the snot through the filter. The pictures below are the filter out of my LS460.

Old 02-05-20, 01:03 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I recommend doing what I did.

Drain the fluid,
Drop the pan and clean it and the magnets,
Replace the filter, reinstall the pan,
Pump 4 qts of new WS fluid in it,
Take the return line off of the radiator. It is the one on the driver side,
Put a clear 3/8in hose on the nipple on the outlet of the transmission(10ft piece at home depot is cheap)
Run it into a clear empty milk jug.
Start the car and then shut it off when the jug is nearly full,
Pump more new WS fluid into the trans, 4qts = 1 gallon
Put the hose into a new empty gallon jug,
Start the car and shut it off when the jug is nearly full
Pump 4qts in, Move to a new empty jug,
Start the car and shut it off when you see clean fluid in the clear hose. Probably less than 1/2 gallon will pump out before you see it clean.
Hook the hoses back up properly,
Start it and let it run until you read 100Deg F on the trans pan with an infrared thermometer. and shut it of.
Make sure it is on level ground and pull the check fluid plug. Put it back as soon as it slows to a tiny dribble. Dont wait for it to get to a drip. The thin string like drizzle is when you should put it back.

You will need 12-14 qts of fluid. If somehow no fluid comes out when you remove the check plug(Should be impossible for this to happen if you have pumped 12 qts total in), you will need to add a qt and run it a min or so to circulate and check it again.

Tools needed will be a ratchet, extension, 10mm socket, 14mm socket, 5mm allen head socket for the check fluid plug. 24mm open end wrench for the fill plug on the drivers side of the trans above the exhaust pipe. Pliers for the pinch clamp on the return hose for the transmission fluid where it connects to the radiator, and maybe a trim pry tool as it can make it easier to get some fo the plastic clips for the lower engine cover off. I used a flat head screwdriver though. Also have a drain pan and plenty of rags. Jack, jack stands, and wheel chocks.

My car had very dark nasty fluid come out, and it was almost a clean cut in the tube between the old fluid and new clean red WS luid in the clear hose. This method eliminates the possibility of the tech at the dealer or mechanic shop hooking the hoses from the flush machine up backwards and screwing your transmission up while performing the flush. I will be making a fill hose for my car to make this even easier in the future. I will offer it if people are interested. I need to order a couple of fill plugs first as I plan to make one for my wifes 4Runner as well.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 Jerky/hard shifting problems