LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 Subwoofer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 12:07 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I could have done more with my box my system could be so much cleaner sounding. I have a 12inch L7 running off 750W at 4ohms in the corner of my tiny hybrid trunk. Had to polyfill the inside of the box to make up for the lack of size of the box.
Old 02-25-14, 03:09 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know that my system is the best or cleanest, but I did learn something during my research. The size of the subwoofer enclosure has to be customized to the woofer/driver. The idea from premade box manufacturers that one box fits all is not a good idea. The box size, port vs non-port, length of port, etc. impacts the performance of the subwoofer. This can be frequency level, efficiency, and actual loudness (decibels). There is a lot more information out there and I would encourage you to do some research if you plan to go this route. After all, you've invested a lot of money into you car, you want to your stereo to reflect the car you drive.
Old 02-25-14, 03:11 AM
pmiller
Driver

I am trying to offer as much information as I can related to replacing and adding a subwoofer because when I went to do research for this project, I didn't find much information. So read my thread and ask questions.
Old 03-09-14, 05:22 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You mention "audioplhile", but thing is, this system was designed by true audiophiles and IS a true audiophile system. Massive bass that overpowers the balance, does not go hand-in-hand with the term "audiophile" IMO. There's enough bass in my system to shake my rear- view mirror. When I play various pieces from Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb for example), I am AMAZED by the bass tones. The clarity and balance is ASTOUNDING.

I understand the desire to tinker with our vehicles of which I am guilty. But no way (unless something craps the bed in my system as in your case with the sub), am I going to start randomly replacing components and upsetting the delicate balance.

Anyway, as long as YOU like it....that's all that matters.
roadfrog: What year is your LS? If 2007 - 2009, you have a different amp when compared to the 2010 - 2012. Lexus and Harman Kardon changed to specs for the 2010 - 2012. That unit actually cuts the bass as you raise the volume. The older models sound much better.
Old 03-09-14, 05:36 AM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
roadfrog: What year is your LS? If 2007 - 2009, you have a different amp when compared to the 2010 - 2012. Lexus and Harman Kardon changed to specs for the 2010 - 2012. That unit actually cuts the bass as you raise the volume. The older models sound much better.
Man, how do you know this? I don't doubt you at all, I just want information. Do you have some secret information on the ML system? I searched high and low for specifications. I figured they hid the specifications at Fort Knox. If you have any information, please share. Or are you sworn to secrecy? Is this highly classified information that we have to wait for Lexus to de-classify? I cannot even find information on speaker sizes, wattage, ohms, etc. My project started because I thought I ripped the subwoofer surround and thought I'd replace it. I quickly realized this is a one of kind speaker. Fortunately, the surround wasn't ripped. I did start searching for a way to increase bass and my research lead me installing an amp and a boxed subwoofer.
Thank you for any information you can share.
Old 03-09-14, 07:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

roadfrog: What year is your LS? If 2007 - 2009, you have a different amp when compared to the 2010 - 2012. Lexus and Harman Kardon changed to specs for the 2010 - 2012. That unit actually cuts the bass as you raise the volume. The older models sound much better
It's an '08. All I know, is my system sounds ridiculous. Could it have more bass? Probably, but as I made clear...FOR ME, more bass is not necessarily better, anymore than more exhaust noise makes a car faster. It's balanced sound. It's perfection. BUT that is just me apparently.

Here's some excellent info for those looking for some more on our ML systems from Mark Levinson themselves:

http://www.marklevinson.com/Info/Story/49

http://www.marklevinson.com/download...20brochure.pdf

AND KEEP IN MIND, that those rating for the amps wattage (450 watts) is not peak power. That rating is with the new standards (CEA 2006 I believe), which rates amplifier power in conjunction with low distortion numbers and frequency responses S/N ratios, etc. So that 450 watt rating is very conservative by other standards and ratings from other manufacturers. This IS a Reference System by any standard of measure for sure. Even for a home system.
Old 03-09-14, 10:44 AM
pmiller
Driver

road frog, thanks for the links. That is good information. I just wish they provided more details like a home stereo does in a manual. But, ya take what ya can get...
Great discussion here. I really appreciate all the input on the subwoofer and stereo. As I alluded to before I couldn't find much. Maybe I didn't search enough.
One thing I will say for sure, the ML system is great overall. I do wonder about the quality of speakers. On my list of mods is to change some of them out. I've read of people changing a few key ones out to improve the sound. Just tweaking it trying to get perfection....hahahaha...what we all are doing with our cars in different ways. We are the custom coach buildings of the 21st century...LOL!!!! Enjoy your Sunday afternoon. Hopefully it's sunny where you are like it is here in South Carolina!!!!
Old 03-09-14, 09:03 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Pmiller: I had an '08 and the ML in that car sounded really good. I was more or less certain that roadfrog had an '07 - '09 car. When I replaced my '08 with a '12 I noticed the loss of bass immediately. I took the car back to Lexus and was able to prove to one of their factory technicians that the '08 sounded much better. He listened to test CDs that I had made and agreed with me. He did some further research and told me that the newer models had a different part number for the amplifier. The speaker was the same in both models. Many amps were blowing with the older model. They cut the bass to "fix" that issue and in the process ruined the sound. Though they admit that the new model is not as good as the older one they refuse to do anything as it "works as designed"
Old 09-02-14, 01:45 AM
JJsRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately no factory system will ever give you the amount of bass that you are used tom getting from your home audio system. I woul recomend using a aftermarket amp for the JLW6 because the factory amp is not strong enough for that aftemarket woofer. Even if the ohms match the factory woofer you will be UNDERDRIVING the JL woofer and will damage BOTH the factory amp and the JL woofer. I would sugest using a aftermarket ampm to the JL woofer. It will give you ten times the bass that the factory sub was giving you.
Old 09-02-14, 05:22 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Pmiller: I had an '08 and the ML in that car sounded really good. I was more or less certain that roadfrog had an '07 - '09 car. When I replaced my '08 with a '12 I noticed the loss of bass immediately. I took the car back to Lexus and was able to prove to one of their factory technicians that the '08 sounded much better. He listened to test CDs that I had made and agreed with me. He did some further research and told me that the newer models had a different part number for the amplifier. The speaker was the same in both models. Many amps were blowing with the older model. They cut the bass to "fix" that issue and in the process ruined the sound. Though they admit that the new model is not as good as the older one they refuse to do anything as it "works as designed"
Would replacing the 2012 amp with a 2008 amp rectify this issue? Cause I want the special gauges found in the 2010+ 600hl, but I don't want the cheapened amp that comes with it.
Old 09-02-14, 05:33 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pmiller
Another picture of the cone and coil....
( see the pic in post #1 and compare it to the link below)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...reclining.html

If both of these subs are stock subs out of the same generation LS, then why do they look different.? Notice the surrounds around the speaker and the center magnet in one but not the other.

Last edited by Pamperme; 09-02-14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 05:42 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Based on the evidence from this thread, the subs are different too. Pmiller has a 2010 LS and his sub is different than Ehaze's sub who has a 2008 LS.. The 2010 sub may look better, but the 2008 is the one that SOUNDS better. Unless, perhaps, one of these cars had another owner who replaced the original sub that came with the car, that's a possibility too.

P.S. Am I the only one who noticed the totally different subs? This was evident since the first three posts. Why hasn't anyone else pointed this glaring difference out?

Last edited by Pamperme; 09-02-14 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 06:56 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Based on the evidence from this thread, the subs are different too. Pmiller has a 2010 LS and his sub is different than Ehaze's sub who has a 2008 LS.. The 2010 sub may look better, but the 2008 is the one that SOUNDS better. Unless, perhaps, one of these cars had another owner who replaced the original sub that came with the car, that's a possibility too. P.S. Am I the only one who noticed the totally different subs? This was evident since the first three posts. Why hasn't anyone else pointed this glaring difference out?
The sound difference is a software change that ML installed for 2010-2012 my guess they added some bass managment to the the amps to decrease bass output as volume is increased. Check out this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8448432
Old 09-02-14, 07:19 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tee
The sound difference is a software change that ML installed for 2010-2012 my guess they added some bass managment to the the amps to decrease bass output as volume is increased. Check out this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8448432
I'm familiar with that thread. So thanks for sharing again. But that still doesn't explain the two different subs from the same generation LS's? See the first three posts of this thread.

Last edited by Pamperme; 09-02-14 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 07:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Unfortunately no factory system will ever give you the amount of bass that you are used tom getting from your home audio system.
NOR WOULD YOU WANT THAT. You're talking about an enclosed (and more sealed) listening space, which is a fraction of that of your "home" system!

Quick Reply: Ls 460 Subwoofer Replacement