LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

10 days later: My impressions

Old 01-29-14, 06:21 AM
sarantis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10 days later: My impressions

Well I've had my 07' 460L with 7300 miles for 10 days and now have 7800 miles and here are my initial impressions. Overall I am the most giddy I've ever been with a new car, even my first car and even my last car the '02 Q45. I just love getting in the thing. I'm a tall guy, 6'6" and even though the L gives me no extra leg room, it sure does with the kids in the back or co-workers when we go out for lunch. I can keep my seat all the way back.

Speaking of seats, I don't feel the pressure points that people are talking about. I find them very comfortable even on long drives. I also don't hear any wind noise at the much talked about weak points. So maybe there are a few out there that don't have these problems? Either way the person who owned this car obviously took extreme care of it. The floor mats in front still have the protective wrappers on them. I'm hesitant to take them off. Like my grandma who had the plastic wrap on the couch still. The car smells like a 2014 with 7800 miles on it like it's a really new car. So even though it's almost 7 years old, I feel like I bought a near new car.

The ride is the smoothest I've ever experienced. Even my brother who just bought a brand new Porsche Panamera GTS is jealous of the ride. Of course I'm jealous of the sheer performance of his car, but in ride quality especially for long distances I prefer mine. Smooth trumps performance for me and I'm assuming a lot of you.

I love the technology on this car for the most part. I'm still learning new functions. I agree that the navigation unit is antiquated even for this year. I've built into the system (so as not to take up a socket) my Garmin 5 inch touch screen unit which is the best nav unit out there IMO. It's the only thing I've done to detract from the overall clean look since it's suction cupped to the lower left window. But I gotta have my Garmin buddy with me.

The other thing I just did was have installed the PS module and the iVic-i unit for my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 (jailbroken). I gotta have my tunes the way I like them. The iVic unit is okay but is not as good as my $400 Pioneer unit I installed in my old Q45. It's a little glitchy at times and is not as responsive as I'd like it to be just in touching the functions on the screen and also with their built in apps. Don't know if I'll use them much. I also don't like the big honking double wire that has to stick out from under your center console. I like the fact however that I can lockout all the nanny lockout features that Lexus put in place just to be rebellious. And of course I do like that I can listen to music from my iPhone and see what's playing on screen. That's the main issue.

The only niggles I have with the car so far is that of the acceleration from the start. I find it ever so lagging. My Q was a beast from the get-go. So maybe I'm just getting used to the different feel of this engine. The gear shifts can be felt in the LS a little more than my 5 speed Q as well. Didn't think that would be the case from what I've read. Maybe there's an upgrade to the system that can make the acceleration a little more responsive?

I also just can't understand why Lexus didn't have flashers in the side mirrors. They put on every gizmo known to mankind in the car but couldn't put something my old Q has in theirs. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

But overall I am extremely pleased with the purchase. It's got a body that is aging very well. They're rare enough that people look and I've already gotten a couple of "nice car" comments. My Q was getting old in the tooth for style. But with the LS most people are incredulous when I tell them it's 7 years old. Extremely pleased indeed.
Old 01-29-14, 07:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice write up! Good job.

I am 3 weeks into my ownership but not nearly as many miles logged as you.

I agree with your comment about the acceleration lag....my BMW 745i was also a beast even though it had 55 fewer horsepower. BUT, I believe my Lexus catches up later in the run and then surpasses it. I believe the 8 speed transmission is partially the cause of the sense of lag?

I'm glad you reported your review of the Ivic.....I am looking at installing one for my Android soon.

I definitely notice the wind and road noise in the Lex. The Beemer was definitely quieter in that regard, but overall, the Lex is tighter and subdued. I will be ordering the revised corner pieces near the mirrors (the ones with the fins). Reports are coming in from fellow members here that it eliminates the wind noise at the pillar.

You mentioned the lights on the mirrors and I agree with your view. But you know what bothers me even more? The lack of a "4 flash to pass" turn signal. My '03 E65 had it and so does a fleet of 2011 Dodge Caravans we have at work. LOL. They have them in the newer LS' but not on my '08. Also, is it too much to ask that when you turn off the engine, the wipers park themselves? Again, the fleet of Caravans we have do that, as does my brother's Kia.

Ahhhh the issues we face in a first world country huh? LOL.
Old 01-29-14, 08:20 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2007 LS460 had zero lag when accelerating. There was a TSIB that addressed a lag condition.
Old 01-29-14, 09:13 AM
sarantis
Driver

Ya roadfrog, I believe there is more functionality with the Android from what I've seen floating on the internet. As for the TSIB I'm hoping that's an easy update and is cost effective. Thanks for the info there. As for the flash to pass signal, we here in California just don't do that for fear of lethal retribution, this is of course, if that's what you meant by flashing your high beams.
Old 01-29-14, 10:29 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah yes, the wipers thing is a bit irritating
Old 01-29-14, 11:44 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sarantis
Ya roadfrog, I believe there is more functionality with the Android from what I've seen floating on the internet. As for the TSIB I'm hoping that's an easy update and is cost effective. Thanks for the info there. As for the flash to pass signal, we here in California just don't do that for fear of lethal retribution, this is of course, if that's what you meant by flashing your high beams.
Several years ago, I was stopped by the CHP for speeding. My fault. The officer said I should not flash my headlights at the car in front of me to tell them to move over because it could blind the driver. Later, I looked up the CA vehicle code and it said that flashing headlights at a slower car to move over was legal. I printed that and kept it in the cars. After reading today's posts, I checked again and the law has changed. It is still legal to flash headlights to indicate you want to pass the car in front of you, but only on a road where passing on the right is not possible, i.e., a two lane road. Where moving to the right to pass is allowed, flashing the headlights is not legal.
Old 01-29-14, 12:45 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon

Several years ago, I was stopped by the CHP for speeding. My fault. The officer said I should not flash my headlights at the car in front of me to tell them to move over because it could blind the driver. Later, I looked up the CA vehicle code and it said that flashing headlights at a slower car to move over was legal. I printed that and kept it in the cars. After reading today's posts, I checked again and the law has changed. It is still legal to flash headlights to indicate you want to pass the car in front of you, but only on a road where passing on the right is not possible, i.e., a two lane road. Where moving to the right to pass is allowed, flashing the headlights is not legal.
Interesting. .I do this all the time..good to know
Old 01-29-14, 02:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Nice write up sarantis, I'm glad you are enjoying your car. I came from a '95 Q45a which I still owned for several years after I got the LS. A couple comments on your post-

I too never felt the problems others had with the seats. Mine have always been very comfortable. I guess it depends in part on your body type.

I know many have complained about the nav system compared to a Garmin, but just so you know you can update your system for the maps and POI's. I'm guessing with so few miles on it, your nav was never updated. Another advantage is you no longer have to press the "I agree" button every time. The last I looked, updates cost $169 plus about $80 labor (negotiable).

I too never got the wind noise that others experienced. My car was one of the last 2007s to be built, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

And lastly, the acceleration problem can probably be cured through the TSB. Also, the car "learns" your driving style. Who knows what driving style it learned from the previous owner. You can also try switching it to the "POWER" mode.

Good luck with the new ride. It sounds like you got a real rare bird!
Old 01-29-14, 02:11 PM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. The only thing I miss badly in my car is seats with massage function (worth every penny in long trips)
Old 01-29-14, 03:53 PM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that my LS460 drives/steers a LOT like a new body (F10) 5 series (without sports package), with a quieter and slightly smoother ride. It makes sense since everyone in the F10 forums says that the car drives "like a Lexus".
Old 01-29-14, 07:15 PM
sarantis
Driver

Thanks FoMod. I see that you are up on things and devote some good time to this. It's the best forum I've seen in a long time. I've already derived a ton of useful info and look forward to providing value back to the members. Look forward to a decade at least of good driving. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-14, 07:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

if that's what you meant by flashing your high beams.
NO NO NO! LOL. I was referring to the turn signal stalk. On my 03 Beemer (and Dodge Caravans etc), when you just quickly push up or down on the turn signal stalk, the turn signals flash four times. Great for when you're exiting the freeway or making a lane change.
Old 01-29-14, 11:08 PM
sarantis
Driver

Gotcha! I agree, nice little feature.