Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Over 100,000 on your LS460?

Old 02-03-14, 06:09 AM   #31
Tee
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
I dunno Tee...

On page 2 - upper right side of the Maintenance Schedule (COTCI-07LSM-25), under "Additional Service Requirements", it says,

"You're vehicle will also require the following specialized attention. Be sure to have these services performed as part of the regularly scheduled maintenance at the time or distance indicated, whichever occurs first:

-Replace automatice transimission fluid every 72 months/96,000 kms"

it's in the same section that lists brake fluid flush, coolant flush, cabin filters, and differential fluid change intervals.

I know that BMW had the same "Lifetime Fluid for transmissions" line of thinking but many disagreed with it. Also, what does "lifetime" mean? I'm leery.
Over the years this has been discussed plenty of times, some don't believe in not changing it and some do. I'm going by what Lexus has provided via the Warranty & Service Guide and the Maintenance Schedule list on the Lexus Drivers website, (See below) I put over a 149K on the on a LS460 tranny and never changed it, all service done at the dealer and inspected. My tech said the same thing you don't touch them unless there is an issue, but i will provide info below for those that want to change or have the fluid changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmasten View Post
The trans section is about 500 pages, the LS volume set is 6 complete volumes... its a complicated car.

On the pan there is an overflow and in one corner there is a drain bolt if you look underneath. you don't have to drop the pan. Since it is a sealed system they only recommend draining the fluid if you need maintenance on the trans, which is also why they dont have a dip stick. The only time you would add fluid would be for service, there is no mention of changing it or an interval.

The quantity is down at the bottom, just over 3 quarts if you drain it from the pan. There must be a reason why they dont give out interval information for changing it, but I have no idea what that would be there is a drain and a filler bolt on the trans.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf WS Automatic Transmission Fluid L-TC008-07.pdf (21.5 KB, 142 views)

2007 LS460L Noble Spinel Mica/Cashmere
2012 RX350 Matador Red Mica/Parchment
2007 LS460 Black Sapphire Pearl/Cashmere (R.I.P.) http://tinyurl.com/78c36hd
2004 LS430 Modern Luxury-Flint Mica/Ash (R.I.P.) http://tinyurl.com/7wvpux5
My Build, Pics & Vids Thread: http://tinyurl.com/ckybwbo
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 02:33 PM   #32
korlexus
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff442 View Post
2007 LS460L 315,000 MILES! I just got mine in a couple months ago, and has been great, we made a trip to Texas and South Dakota and back to Florida during xmas. What a ride, it is just itching to cruz at 100mph. My son is a mechanic and I am a motor head myself. I just love these cars, have 98 gs400 with 200k on it and runs great. My son and I have done some work on it not all tuned up. front o2 sensors, spark plugs, and valvecover gasket set, vvt adjuster oring on front of block, and the short lower control arm on the front. I bought new and saved the old ones to repair them. I have the all other suspension parts not on hand to replace as needed. I did replace the radiator and hoses, since I broke of the expansion tank fitting leaning on it, but it was cracked already. I had the dealer service the tranny I just don't think the life is up to the tranny and I want it fresh. The previous 2 owners were busy, at least the second one who bought it and put 230k on in just over 2 years as a private limo service. They did not give the paint much love, but I have waxed it a lot. Since it is black it is not to bad. The only other major work was the rear air shocks were replaced by the dealer at about 100k on it from the receipts. It still sounds good. As long as I keep the oil fresh and synthetic I expect 500k on this engine. The dealer says he has seen that on some of his customers.
Your LS must be the one with the most highest miles I've ever seen so far.
All I can say is WOW.
korlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 05:59 PM   #33
roadfrog
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Over the years this has been discussed plenty of times, some don't believe in not changing it and some do. I'm going by what Lexus has provided via the Warranty & Service Guide and the Maintenance Schedule
I saw that before, but my manual is definitely different, which leads me to believe that perhaps the Canadian Spec vehicles are different. Not only that, but the lexus canada website is different:

http://consumer.xtime.com/menu6/?var...&inframe=false

As you can see under 96000 km service it lists "replace automatic transmission fluid".

Here's a pic of my service manual:
Name:  manual.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  225.9 KB

Funny thing is, even though I live in Canada, I'm an hour from Seattle, which has the very same weather as we do. We have a VERY mild climate. BUT we have to adopt Canadian conditions for servicing. Heck, our climate here on the West Coast is far milder than most of the Eastern and central U.S.!

I tried to find the UK's service intervals on the Lexusuk website but couldn't find it.

I may just leave the trans fluid alone, as I am under no warranty requirements. If I was towing, that would be a different story. There's only one thing that kills transmissions. HEAT. Burnt trans fluid kills transmissions. Period.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 07:50 PM   #34
sheff442
Driver School Candidate

Talking flip a coin for personal preference

It appears there is plenty of written documentation, that will contradict each other, from the factory. So it comes down to an informed decision, of personal preference. I have done a lot of reading over the years, starting in the 80's in high school on slick 50, and mobile 1. I even wrote the American Petroleum Institute, API. Like I always say, information is power, the more you have the stats show you can make a better decision. Since it is filtered you may not need to do anything, There are many rigs that never change oil, just filters and do an oil analysis. I think I will lean on the side of my informed decision and change it when I think so. I am hoping it means less particles to wear the parts, for me.
sheff442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14, 10:50 PM   #35
chris07ls
Rookie

I wish Lexus would explain the variability of their service intervals for trans fluid changes and spark plug replacement. The two dealers in my area give conflicting info on these two issues.

I would like to believe that I don't have to change the trans fluid for the life of the car - it sounds to good to be true. Did Lexus warranty the trans for 500K miles ?

The 4 other Toyotas I had , I drained and refilled the trans fluid every 15K miles and they lasted 200K + miles.
chris07ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 12:25 PM   #36
hodgewjr
Driver School Candidate

Did you purchase the vehicle? If so, how is it doing?
hodgewjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 05:52 AM   #37
PrinceAkim
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

I'm almost at the 100k mld club. My LS is my daily, and I have 98k miles on my 2007 LS460L. My previous car was a GS430, and I had 215k before giving it to my mom. She is still driving it with no issue. So far I've had control arms replaced under warranty, front left strut replaced, new battery, Mark Levinson Amp, and regular maintenance. So far so good, the issues I've had have been annoying, but I am thankful that it cranks up and takes me from point A to B each time.

2007 LS 460 L Obsidian
2005 Lexus RX 330 Millenium Silver
2001 Lexus GS 430 Millenium Silver (Sold)
1998 Lexus GS 400 Spectra Blue (R.I.P)
PrinceAkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 10:59 AM   #38
CJITTY
Lexus Champion

CJATL404

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAkim View Post
I'm almost at the 100k mld club. My LS is my daily, and I have 98k miles on my 2007 LS460L. My previous car was a GS430, and I had 215k before giving it to my mom. She is still driving it with no issue. So far I've had control arms replaced under warranty, front left strut replaced, new battery, Mark Levinson Amp, and regular maintenance. So far so good, the issues I've had have been annoying, but I am thankful that it cranks up and takes me from point A to B each time.
Wow..100k already bro?
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 10:59 AM

Tags
08, 100, 100k, 130000, 2007, 460, 50, 80k, good, high, lexus, ls, ls460s, maintenance, miles, needed, slick