LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trunk Opening Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 09:38 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Opening Problems

So I drop some groceries in the trunk the other night and when I get home bonk trunk won't open.

I do a search here and find several excellent threads about resetting the electronics by removing the battery for 15 seconds and viola it works. Trunk opens and I get my goods. Now comes the issue. I push the close button and nada, nothing happens. So I try to manually close it.(it's 28 degrees and sleeting at the time which is snomageddon here in Houston) It just bangs and bounces back. The lock mechanism is already closed.

To fix this I start messing about with the key lock and a screwdriver to simulate the latch point. What I figure out is the lock actuates but opens all the way and closes again. It's like it's in reverse of what it needs to be. So I actuate it and close it quickly when's it's in the open mode and sure enough it closed and stayed closed.

Zoom ahead two days where I can work on this thing... Dash button, trunk button and key fob all go beep trunk does not open. Manual key the trunk pops but is still firmly latched. I reset the battery again and this time when the manual operation happens I can hear the latch motor go through it's rounds and sure enough I can get the trunk open with a firm tug while the motor is operating.

So at the point I can see that it kind works just backwards and will not stay in the open position. Nor will open and allow the trunk to actually open unless you actuate the manual key mechanism with some force applied to lift the trunk. I am now at the point needing some assistance.

I am going to disassemble the trunk and the mechanism. What I wanted to know is how to remove all the panels and the mechanism. If anyone has done this before please chime in I am sure some stereo installer popped the trunk lid finish panel off before. Are those just regular push in pins? Can I just use a panel popper to pop them off? Next weekend I am going to attack this weather permitting. I am usually a bull in a china closet about it but I really don;t want to damage the lock mechanism if I can avoid it. I plan to figure out the problem and hopefully engineer a fix. Thanks in advance to any and all helping words.
Old 01-27-14, 11:58 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This link might help you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...utton-fix.html
Old 01-27-14, 01:16 PM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Yes excellent Thank you this a perfect step by step to get inside this beast!
Old 02-11-14, 03:51 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 04-29-14, 02:04 PM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to say still no update ... I am lazy and have not needed to fix it yet. I suspect I limit switch broken inside but I have yet to take it apart. I can open the trunk with the manual key and firm tug, but the latch will not stay in the "open" position. It simple goes to the open position then back to the closed position when I activate the manual key. I have done this a handful of times now. I think I am going to lube it all up with some penetrating fluid or WD40 and see if something is jammed.
Old 08-14-14, 06:53 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

I finally decided to take this thing apart and lo and behold I can no longer open the trunk. Period. I hear the mechanism turning but none of the old tricks seem to work. I am now unsure how I am going to get the trunk open without major damage. I am open for suggestions.
Old 08-14-14, 10:59 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Time for stealership!
Old 08-14-14, 11:05 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

If I did not have 130K on the clock and I was still in my CPO I'd be there... but alas this is on me. I know the dealership cost to fix is around $950.
Old 08-14-14, 04:19 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Originally Posted by sgmorton
I finally decided to take this thing apart and lo and behold I can no longer open the trunk. Period. I hear the mechanism turning but none of the old tricks seem to work. I am now unsure how I am going to get the trunk open without major damage. I am open for suggestions.
so it doesn't open with the key now? have you tried using a stick and going through the little opening in the middle of the rear seat to move the emergency latch handle?
Old 08-14-14, 05:31 PM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrgameover
so it doesn't open with the key now? have you tried using a stick and going through the little opening in the middle of the rear seat to move the emergency latch handle?

I am planning on trying that before I start cutting...
Old 08-15-14, 06:52 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

There are just two things you need to do to open the trunk.

!. Release the latch.

2. Lift the lid if it doesn't pop up.

Although no one has reported success with the recommendation that I posted I remain confident that the steps that I described will get it open.

Check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...procedure.html
Old 08-15-14, 08:27 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
There are just two things you need to do to open the trunk.

!. Release the latch.

2. Lift the lid if it doesn't pop up.

Although no one has reported success with the recommendation that I posted I remain confident that the steps that I described will get it open.

Check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...procedure.html

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news and good news... Your procedure is what I used to get in the trunk initially so it will work ...but it only worked about 4-6 times. It does not work on my car now. If you read my thread here you will see I used the manual key. I will say this. The manual key still relies on the motor to operate on my 2008L. You can hear it actuating when you turn the key as you illustrated on your post.

I have not however tried to hook the emergency release from inside the trunk to see if it activates the spring loaded release. This is on my list to do.
Old 08-15-14, 08:42 AM
jmcraney

The manual key does exactly the same thing as the lever in the trunk and it does not rely on the motor. Are you able to turn the key?
Old 08-15-14, 09:23 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The manual key does exactly the same thing as the lever in the trunk and it does not rely on the motor. Are you able to turn the key?
yes I am able to turn the key...and I am here to tell you it absolutely does not do a mechanical release when you turn the key. It actuates the motor. I have watched it actuate the motor with the trunk open on a number of occasions. Read my threads on this... in order to close the trunk I would have to use the key to operate the motor with a screwdriver in the mechanism to simulate the trunk being closed, then time it so I closed the trunk at just the right moment. In other words my trunk always thinks it's closed. When I turn the key I hear the motor turning. I have yet to have the spring operated mechanical release work, but I have not tried it from inside the trunk.
Old 08-15-14, 09:31 AM
jmcraney

Sir, the motor you hear is preparing the trunk for the next close operation, so you don't have to slam it. If you are able to turn the key then it is released and something is keeping it from popping up. To overcome this you will need to lift on the trunk lid while you keep the key turned.

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Problems