LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Performance Mod List? (ie: not wheels and bodykits, lol)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 06:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

is bad? lol. i had one on my fx45 and liked the sound it generated. any negatives (or positives) to using K&N filters?
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Above is one of countless links to tests and studies of the harm from K&N filters. Back in the day when I was a member of a diesel truck forum, there were a lot of guys getting their oil analysis results back with high levels of silicate found in their oil samples (silicate = sand). Warranties were being denied, etc. When I got my oil sample back from my wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee years and years ago, the same results were found. I removed them from her vehicle as well as my Cobra.

As mentioned above, another side effect is oiled MAF's due to people over-oiling their filters.
Old 01-21-14, 07:07 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by amit1947
Will 20inch or 22inch rims on sport tires (or ultra performance all seasons) improve handling? Will the car grip more and lean less?

I'm wondering if any of these "mods" will improve steering feel and handling/grip.
Larger wheels are a band-aid compromise so that you can fit bigger brakes in racing. In the industry today bigger wheels became fashionable for the look.

The problem with larger wheels in general is that they are at a disadvantage in terms of unsprung weight. Both In the amount of material it takes to make a large wheel and the further away the hub is to the rim.
As an example It takes a lot more force to spin around when your arms are fully extended then when they are tucked in.

This can have an effect on the handling as well as the acceleration of the vehicle.

In regard to tires for these wheels you will need to fit plus size tires which will have a ridiculous profile so that the overall diameter of the tire plus wheel is not altered. If the tires plus wheels are taller then the stock you will have odometer inaccuracy and your gearing will be off to the point where you will compound further acceleration loss.

Then there is the problem with having short sidewalls which will be somewhat stiffer with less deflection which some actually think is a good thing in terms of responsiveness. This can be a bad thing at the limit because you will loose grip suddenly (great for drifters). Having some sidewall flex is a good thing because you can feel where the limits are going to be and therefore handle the car better.

So in a nutshell there are some really bad disadvantages performance wise to large wheels but if you like the way they look that's all that matters. If you want performance and some looks purchase light weight wheels no bigger then 19' from a quality manufacture get some summer tires fitted.

Keep in mind the more grip you have the more lean you will have as well.

Last edited by Devh; 01-21-14 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 07:44 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Having served my time in the tire, alignment and service trenches, I personally take a dim view of most "mods". At best, they might not harm your car, then it's downhill from there. I've seen tasteless and tacky mods that'll take your breath away. I might make one exception for brake upgrades on cars with sub-par brakes, then only if done right. Lots of cars with single piston front calipers could benefit. These LS's start with 4 piston calipers front and rear so only a very demanding driver would need more. But an LS is really not that kind of a car.

My favorite modded car was a customers 2011 Mustang GT. Engine was completely stock. He added a Ford lower geared diff, a very slightly lowered suspension and some higher friction brake pads for the already big oe rotors. With a nice set of michelin cups on the stock wheels, That car was the complete package. It rode, handled, ran and stopped in a balanced and impressive way!
Old 01-21-14, 07:49 PM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Are you saying that everyone that has upgraded brakes are just for show through the wheels? I can speak to the Brembos specifically as I have a GT kit installed on my car and I can guarantee you that my braking is far superior to those who are on stock brake systems.
I agree. the Brembos stop the car faster than than the stock brakes.

The first day I drove the F Sport i immediately noticed how much better the brakes worked. Honestly I am not sure if I wish the brakes would be red or yellow. I think I like them black as it is less showy.
Old 01-21-14, 08:14 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Larger wheels are a bandied compromise so that you can fit bigger brakes in racing. In the industry today bigger wheels became fashionable for the look.

The problem with larger wheels in general is that they are at a disadvantage in terms of unsprung weight. Both In the amount of material it takes to make a large wheel and the further away the hub is to the rim.
As an example It takes a lot more force to spin around when your arms are fully extended then when they are tucked in.

This can have an effect on the handling as well as the acceleration of the vehicle.

In regard to tires for these wheels you will need to fit plus size tires which will have a ridiculous profile so that the overall diameter of the tire plus wheel is not altered. If the tires plus wheels are taller then the stock you will have odometer inaccuracy and your gearing will be off to the point where you will compound further acceleration loss.

Then there is the problem with having short sidewalls which will be somewhat stiffer with less deflection which some actually think is a good thing in terms of responsiveness. This can be a bad thing at the limit because you will loose grip suddenly (great for drifters). Having some sidewall flex is a good thing because you can feel where the limits are going to be and therefore handle the car better.

So in a nutshell there are some really bad disadvantages performance wise to large wheels but if you like the way they look that's all that matters. If you want performance and some looks purchase light weight wheels no bigger then 19' from a quality manufacture get some summer tires fitted.

Keep in mind the more grip you have the more lean you will have as well.

Exactly right on all points, Devh! those large diameter, heavy wheels hurt acceleration two ways. They not only add weight but also take more power to spin up to speed in the form of higher angular momentum imparted.

I find the stock 18's with Primacy MXM4 all seasons start running out of grip about the same time as the chassis runs out of composure. Any significant improvement would be very expensive and likely compromise the ride. If I'd wanted more, I would have bought a different car.
Old 01-21-14, 08:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by robert1408
Exactly right on all points, Devh! those large diameter, heavy wheels hurt acceleration two ways. They not only add weight but also take more power to spin up to speed in the form of higher angular momentum imparted.

I find the stock 18's with Primacy MXM4 all seasons start running out of grip about the same time as the chassis runs out of composure. Any significant improvement would be very expensive and likely compromise the ride. If I'd wanted more, I would have bought a different car.
I couldn't agree more. That's why my other car is the polar opposite of the LS but sadly there are those that try and fit luxury in that car with horrible results.
The only compromise that I have seen work with combining both luxury and sport are GT cars.
Old 01-23-14, 05:48 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

With all this blabbing about BBK this and BBK that...answer me this question...If BBK wasn't beneficial on the street why would Lexus themselves offer this in the Sports Package or now known as the F sport package? Larger rotor, 6 piston vs 4 piston front caliper, larger rear rotor, and i believe possibly more pistons in the rear too. I assume Lexus has engineered this setup to work with the car and actually make the car stop better. Got any insite on that? Or is Lexus just trying to be trendy with their factory BBK behind their wheels?
Old 01-23-14, 07:19 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by lbintab
With all this blabbing about BBK this and BBK that...answer me this question...If BBK wasn't beneficial on the street why would Lexus themselves offer this in the Sports Package or now known as the F sport package? Larger rotor, 6 piston vs 4 piston front caliper, larger rear rotor, and i believe possibly more pistons in the rear too. I assume Lexus has engineered this setup to work with the car and actually make the car stop better. Got any insite on that? Or is Lexus just trying to be trendy with their factory BBK behind their wheels?
Lexus is being trendy like the other German brands because people like excess without understanding . If there is any braking benefit it's probably because the F has ulrtra high performance tires to go with those brakes.
I'm not against any brake upgrade to factory brakes if they are lacking but for the LS they are not lacking.
Some cars offer cross drilled rotors from the factory and intake modifications for noise which doesn't improve a thing. There are a lot of things the marketing people offer that give variety to the brand but they usually end up being more or less for show or bragging rights.

On the street your are limited by your tires. On the track your are limited by your tires, repeated braking consistency and endurance which is what BBK primarily solve.

I will however give credit where credit is due and if you were to get a BBK the best one (maybe the only one) to get would be the one offered on the Lexus because it is has been tested and proportioned correctly. I'm willing to bet the BBK on the Lexus is also on the mild side.

Last edited by Devh; 01-23-14 at 07:23 PM.