LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LKA at night

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 02:33 PM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LKA at night

Don't you have problems with LKA while driving at night? While driving at day time, LKA works perfectly. However, if I drive at night (on the same road), LKA seems to work 1 out of 10 times, no more. Should I check some sensors, or something? The radar works fine day and night.
Old 01-16-14, 11:09 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it must use lots of light to find the lines on the road. Perhaps if the roads where better lit at night it would work better. I have the same problem.

jeff
Old 01-17-14, 02:28 AM
ManXP
Driver

Doesn't it use infrared sensors or something? I'm 100% sure I read somewhere about IR sensors used for LKA in LS
Old 01-17-14, 06:11 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't know how the Lexus system works, but many years ago I drove an Infiniti Q45 equipped with LKA and it used a camera (or I think maybe two) mounted on the interior rearview mirror looking forward at the road. I didn't drive the car at night, but I drove on a road with severely worn out lane markings and I was amazed at how well it worked.

The only thing that annoyed me with that system is if you didn't signal a lane change, it beeped at you. Is that how the Lexus system works?
Old 01-17-14, 06:28 AM
ManXP
Driver

I don't know where LS sensor is located, but yes, if you don't signal, it starts beeping
Old 01-17-14, 08:00 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I don't know how the Lexus system works, but many years ago I drove an Infiniti Q45 equipped with LKA and it used a camera (or I think maybe two) mounted on the interior rearview mirror looking forward at the road. I didn't drive the car at night, but I drove on a road with severely worn out lane markings and I was amazed at how well it worked.

The only thing that annoyed me with that system is if you didn't signal a lane change, it beeped at you. Is that how the Lexus system works?
My pet peeve, people that don't signal lane changes and turns. You know what you want to do but I have to watch your head to see what's brewing.
Old 01-17-14, 03:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
My pet peeve, people that don't signal lane changes and turns. You know what you want to do but I have to watch your head to see what's brewing.
Well yea, you're from California where people are courteous. I live in the Boston area.

In Boston signaling lane changes gives the enemy an unfair advantage. Lane markings are considered only as suggestions. Yielding the right of way is a sign of weakness. Leaving more than 3 feet between you and the car ahead of you is inviting someone to cut in.

Did you know that Massachusetts was the last state to legalize right turn on red? True story, they only legalized it because the state would lose federal highway grants. The day right on red became legal, literally thousands of "NO TURN ON RED" signs went up all over the state.

The way Boston drivers drive they figured if you let us turn right on red, it would only be a matter of time before we reasoned that we could then turn left on red!
Old 01-17-14, 11:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well yea, you're from California where people are courteous. I live in the Boston area.

In Boston signaling lane changes gives the enemy an unfair advantage. Lane markings are considered only as suggestions. Yielding the right of way is a sign of weakness. Leaving more than 3 feet between you and the car ahead of you is inviting someone to cut in.

Did you know that Massachusetts was the last state to legalize right turn on red? True story, they only legalized it because the state would lose federal highway grants. The day right on red became legal, literally thousands of "NO TURN ON RED" signs went up all over the state.

The way Boston drivers drive they figured if you let us turn right on red, it would only be a matter of time before we reasoned that we could then turn left on red!
Well, I have to sympathize with you given the description of the combative situation.

Worst one I have witnessed here was when I was following a Benz and the driver signaled a move into the left turn lane. The signal light for the left turn lane was blinking red and the driver made the turn without even slowing down. We ended up going into the same grocery store so asked her why she didn't stop at the blinking red-light. She gave me that very indignant look and her answer was, as you have already guessed, "There were no cars coming". I suggested she should go back to where she came from if she didn't feel it necessary to follow the laws in our country.
Old 01-19-14, 07:04 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Miami is the same, except the car in front of you is required to jam on the breaks just before turning. I moved to Texas. Love my LS on the open road!