LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Diesel-like noise in Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 12:30 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diesel-like noise in Idle

At idle, it sounds like a little diesel engine humming along. Everything is turned off. Does your car sound the same at idle? 2011 LS460 Sport
The following users liked this post:
Dejo85 (07-14-20)
Old 01-02-14, 03:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

This is typical of direct injection on most cars. The sound is coming from the high pressure fuel pumps and should be faint. I don't mind it especially since it gives the engine increased horsepower/ torque and efficiency. Some of the newer car engine designs are using baffling and some sound suppression to reduced this sound.
Old 01-02-14, 11:18 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats so funny.....I just noticed that exact sound your describing tonight.
Can a few more people chime in on this?

Bought the car 12/26 2010 LS460 L
Old 01-03-14, 09:00 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sounds similar to diesel here too
Old 01-04-14, 01:11 PM
rfam
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2012 and my sounds exactly like a diesel-even more pronounced when starting up in cold temps. Have had 2 dealerships listen to it and both said it was normal-high pressure fuel pumps was their explanation. Sure is a far cry from the lack of engine noise that I enjoyed with my 1990 and 2000 ls400!
CamelKool (08-31-20)
Old 01-04-14, 03:04 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

This "odd" engine sound has been discussed several times in this forum.

I regard my engine sound level as acceptable - mine is a 2007 LS460. If I measure it with a sound meter by positioning the sound pickup at one of the gaps on the engine cover and directed downward I get 80 dBA max when the engine is cold. The sound level inside the car under these conditions is 53 dBA max.

Here are some links to other threads on this subject:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-low-rpm.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...wd-normal.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-vsr-done.html
CamelKool (08-31-20)
Old 01-05-14, 07:33 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this noise in my 2010 LS 460. Doesn't sound like a ticking noise. Sounds more like a knocking from within the engine, Definitely sounds like a diesel at idle though.

Took it to the dealership where I bought it CPO, they agreed it didn't sound right but had no fix. Didn't give me any of the high pressure injector nonsense. I politely raised a little hell and now Lexus is offering to replace my whole short block.

Anyone had this before? Seems like a pretty invasive fix for something that they claim to not understand. Should I go ahead and let them do it? $15k repair and two weeks of time.
Old 01-05-14, 07:51 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Apparently the dealer reps concluded that a major issue exists related to the engine knock or they would not have offered to replace the short block. It would be nice to have a second opinion but if that is not an option, I would not hesitate to permit the repair if the dealer will bear all costs.
Old 01-05-14, 08:10 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Well that's what I would have thought as well. But they continue to say the noise poses no mechanical issue. But they'll do a $15k repair to keep me happy, multiple Lexus owner, yadda yadda.

Whole thing seems strange.
CamelKool (08-31-20)
Old 01-07-14, 10:06 AM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

So I agreed to let Lexus replace my short block. Gonna take a few weeks. Happy to update the experience here is anyone is interested.
CamelKool (08-31-20)
Old 01-07-14, 10:55 AM
Devh
Racer

Dealers will not replace a short block unless they clearly identify the problem. Also for this type of repair and cost a Lexus representative will verify the claim before they authorize the work.
Something as ambiguous like a window seal replacement might be overlooked in the customers favor but not a short block unless they can demonstrate the problem.
It sounds like a bit of fraud is going on here unless there is an actual issue.

If it were me, I would at all cost avoid having the Lexus dealership perform a short block replacement unless it was absolutely necessary. This is because the level of precision and tight tolerances during the assembly of the motor can never be replicated at a dealership. I understand it is a factory short block but I would rather have the guys at Tahara do the work.

Last edited by Devh; 01-07-14 at 11:02 AM.
CamelKool (06-24-20)
Old 01-07-14, 12:03 PM
rfam
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

tbtx2010, I'm interested to see what your outcome will be. My concern is more with the loud diesel like knocking coming from the engine during the first 3 to 5 minutes after cold start. I'm ok with the muffled knock at warm idle since it is not nearly as noticeable as the cold engine warm up phase.Shouldn't the engine sound relatively the same throughout the operating temps?
Old 01-07-14, 09:23 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devh
Dealers will not replace a short block unless they clearly identify the problem. Also for this type of repair and cost a Lexus representative will verify the claim before they authorize the work.
Something as ambiguous like a window seal replacement might be overlooked in the customers favor but not a short block unless they can demonstrate the problem.
It sounds like a bit of fraud is going on here unless there is an actual issue.

If it were me, I would at all cost avoid having the Lexus dealership perform a short block replacement unless it was absolutely necessary. This is because the level of precision and tight tolerances during the assembly of the motor can never be replicated at a dealership. I understand it is a factory short block but I would rather have the guys at Tahara do the work.
I was concerned too. They tell me it comes like a crate motor from the factory. And to clarify, this is the Lexus recommended fix, not the dealer's recommendation. I don't believe Lexus would recommend and authorize this repair if they didn't believe the knocking was a real problem.
CamelKool (08-31-20)
Old 01-07-14, 09:24 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rfam
tbtx2010, I'm interested to see what your outcome will be. My concern is more with the loud diesel like knocking coming from the engine during the first 3 to 5 minutes after cold start. I'm ok with the muffled knock at warm idle since it is not nearly as noticeable as the cold engine warm up phase.Shouldn't the engine sound relatively the same throughout the operating temps?
I would think so but I'm not the expert. All I know is mine does not sound right at all.
Old 01-08-14, 09:15 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by tbtx2010
I was concerned too. They tell me it comes like a crate motor from the factory. And to clarify, this is the Lexus recommended fix, not the dealer's recommendation. I don't believe Lexus would recommend and authorize this repair if they didn't believe the knocking was a real problem.
Having the crate short block is good however they will have to mate it to your old heads. One of the big deals about this engine is in the full assembly of the long block and the testing of it to ensure it meets the Tahara standard.

How much of this will be translate in the overall longevity of your car is not really known however the reasons for the replacement short block seem to be suspect especially if they were originally telling you it's normal operation but they will do this for your satisfaction.

It is possible that they did discover a problem and don't want to admit they were wrong on their original assessment, and want to turn it around to their advantage to appear to give you great customer service.

Last edited by Devh; 01-08-14 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Diesel-like noise in Idle